Rods used for LS VTEC Turbo

DC2LSVTEC

what rods are recommended for an LS VTEC Turbo set up? aftermarket LS rods? aftermarket GSR Rods? aftermarket Type R Rods? and I guess for pistons, use some aftermarket LS pistons? keep in mind it has to be able to handle revving up to 8,200rpm

Black94LS

Anti Rice, Yet anti JDM
not necessarily, now he can say i have vtec and turbo woot, and he wouldnt need to keep it LS, the GSR has higher compression, now he has the vtec of the top half, and is changing his Pistons anyways to lower compression, therefore he has vtec and turbo.

speedin

The Transporter
well he can not run as high of boost as a non vtec. theirfore he will not use the potentail of turbo. not to mention he will spend more $. but this is off topic.so

BoostedITR41

speedin said:
well he can not run as high of boost as a non vtec. theirfore he will not use the potentail of turbo. not to mention he will spend more $. but this is off topic.so

Hi I am earth have we met?

If he is goin with aftermarket rods he will change pistons which will lower compression. Get eagles with 3/8" arp bolts.

speedin

The Transporter
BoostedITR41 said:
Hi I am earth have we met?

If he is goin with aftermarket rods he will change pistons which will lower compression. Get eagles with 3/8" arp bolts.
um. no. im from florida not earth! and if u did the same to a ls motor u would have more boost

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
speedin said:
um. no. im from florida not earth! and if u did the same to a ls motor u would have more boost
no.

no.

did i mention no? no.

just because you have a ls doesnt mean you have more boost. ugh... noobs

the LS motors have a lower compression, meaning you can fit more air in without fear of detonation. therefore you can run more boost, not youll have more boost.

if he is putting in aftermarket pistons and rods (which is a VERY smart thing to do) then he can then run more boost if he lowers the compression.

even if he puts a vtec head on, itll bump compression to 9.5... wow thats still boost ready. with the aftermarket pistons and rods, id say he could do 15 psi if he wanted to.

if you put the vtec head on or not, TUNE TUNE TUNE.

youll get more HP but less TQ with a vtec head at the same boost levels. personally i would save the money from converting to vtec and put it into the turbo build.

speedin

The Transporter
Eviloliv3 said:
no.

no.

did i mention no? no.

just because you have a ls doesnt mean you have more boost. ugh... noobs

the LS motors have a lower compression, meaning you can fit more air in without fear of detonation. therefore you can run more boost, not youll have more boost.

if he is putting in aftermarket pistons and rods (which is a VERY smart thing to do) then he can then run more boost if he lowers the compression.

even if he puts a vtec head on, itll bump compression to 9.5... wow thats still boost ready. with the aftermarket pistons and rods, id say he could do 15 psi if he wanted to.

if you put the vtec head on or not, TUNE TUNE TUNE.

youll get more HP but less TQ with a vtec head at the same boost levels. personally i would save the money from converting to vtec and put it into the turbo build.
when i said u will have more boost is the same thing as me saying you CAN have more boost.just being lazy and cutting it short. btw a ls with aftermarket pistons and rods, and a ls/vtec with pistons and rods. your saying that the ls/vtec can run the same MAX boost level as the ls with the above set up both for specific application?

Last edited:

BoostedITR41

speedin said:
when i said u will have more boost is the same thing as me saying you CAN have more boost.just being lazy and cutting it short. btw a ls with aftermarket pistons and rods, and a ls/vtec with pistons and rods. your saying that the ls/vtec can run the same MAX boost level as the ls with the above set up both for specific application?

yeah that is the idea

DC2LSVTEC

so any ideas on what rods to use? the ls, gsr and type r rods are different sizes, cause I'm gonna stick with the ls vtec, the reason why is cause of this http://www.hondata.com/dynolsvtec647whp.html I didn't know an ls vtec was capable of that kind of power. I don't think even a fully built ls could do that, or I could be wrong.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
BoostedITR41 said:
yeah that is the idea
but if u had 2 engines 1 ls/vtec, and 2nd ls. they both have top quality pistons and rods. and both were tuned for maximum boost from the motor. the vtec needs to run lower (even if it is a small amount) than the ls without vtec. this is just the nature of vtec.right? if not tell me how. not just "yeah, now you got it". btw u cant go wrong with these rods LINK.

Last edited:

BoostedITR41

speedin said:
but if u had 2 engines 1 ls/vtec, and 2nd ls. they both have top quality pistons and rods. and both were tuned for maximum boost from the motor. the vtec needs to run lower (even if it is a small amount) than the ls without vtec. this is just the nature of vtec.right? if not tell me how. not just "yeah, now you got it". btw u cant go wrong with these rods LINK.
with LS built motor and Vtec motor built you can run just as much boost if not more. Vtec motors will make more power also. if a LS was the best way to go all the sport FWD guys would be running them, but they aren't they run B18C's for the most part

speedin

The Transporter
BoostedITR41 said:
with LS built motor and Vtec motor built you can run just as much boost if not more. Vtec motors will make more power also. if a LS was the best way to go all the sport FWD guys would be running them, but they aren't they run B18C's for the most part
ok, so u can run the same boost levels in a vtec. hum... learn something new everyday. thanks! i guess the big difference is it will cost twice as much for ls/vtec turbo to run with a ls turbo. due to all the enternal work. but if u spent the $ from a ls/vtec swap then turbo. and put it into a ls turbo system it will be the faster car.

speedin

The Transporter
DC2LSVTEC said:
so just stick with eagle ls rods then? anybody else have any other opinions?
those rods are strong as hell. 900HP!! how can u go wrong with that