Seafoam in my automatic transmission?

Silver2

DB7 Driver
The radiator looks good. I had the fluid changed a few months back and it still looks good and green.

PioneerLS

I remember my trans started slipping at like 150k on my last integra, and that same one is at 185k and it's still slipping just as much as it ever did lol. I thought it was going to go out but it hasnt yet.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Update. While looking online to buy Royal Purple transmission fluid, I discovered two things. It costs over $14 per quart and it is Dexron III.

I happen to have on hand a case of Mobile 1 that is Dexron III. So I drained the pan and put in 3 quarts of the Mobile I and went for a short hop. So far, no complaints at all about the shift quality although I drove gingerly.

I swear the car seems to have a lot more power and shifts well except there is still some slippage. I guess I'll have to get a rebuild or low mileage swap.

Last edited:

Silver2

DB7 Driver
The radiator is fine. Here's my fluid change history: Change 1 was with 3 quarts of Honda ATF. Change 2 was with 3 quarts of Mobile I ATF and I drove it several hundred miles and shifting was much imporved. Change 3 was with 3 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF less 5 ounces that were replaced with 5 ounces of LubeGuard black. I saw this recommended on a performance transmission site, IPT Performance Transmissions. I also went to the LubeGuard page and read their info. The stuff was expensive. $12 for a 10 oz bottle. They say use 1 ounce per quart of ATF and the Teggie holds 6.2 quarts. Do the math ;)

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2008_Lubegard_PubCC.pdf

I drove it a couple of miles and it seemed ok. I'll post an update when I've driven it a while.

There was a tip on this board somewhere saying to tighten up your gas pedal cable (take the slack out) and I did that but I'm wondering if I altered the throttle pressure setting when I did that. I guess I could take it to the local tranny shop and have it checked. Comments welcome.

SoundEfx

Keep us posted pimp.

Although honestly, I would not mix different atf like that.
I know it's expensive, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to things like that.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Keep us posted pimp.

Although honestly, I would not mix different atf like that.
I know it's expensive, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to things like that.
I fully understand. For a normally functioning auto tranny it's best to use Honday ATF only.
Mine is slip sliding away so I experiment.

I'm collecting information of all types on Integra automatic transmissions. Anything I run across will go to a keeper file. If I remember correctly, only about 15 our of 100 Tegs came with the "slush box".

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Eric the car guy said if you put cleaner in your automatic it could loosen up gunk and stuff that could harm things.

He recommends cleaning the fluid cooler that is part of the radiator and then adding an external filter.

I've watched several youtube videos on automatics and Eric has some good ones.

SoundEfx

I know exactly what you're talking about.

But I think that with a slipping auto trans, you might as well save up to have it rebuilt because I don't think any atf could bring it back. It might help for a while, but the trans itself is simply getting worse because the materials being put in there are 'courser' to help grab. So your clutches are being warn away even more if that makes sense.

All you're doing is prolonging the inevitable and one day, it will simply TOTALLY give out and leave you stranded.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Fluid changes always help for a while. Sometimes a month or two (I don't drive much). Went for a drive and its reluctance to upshift when going uphill had improved. No slipping at the moment. I punched it once while going 40 and the rpm's went to 5500 and settled back a little and it did ok. I'm finding sludge on the magnet each time I do the change. It's still a sick tranny and will be swapped but my mechanic doesn't want to do it right now. He said if it goes out to have it towed to him but I don't want to wait that long.

I've been eyeing one of those $4000 trannys, lol. That would double the value of the car and if it got stolen I'd be unhappy.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
My sister's 99 accord did this when it was cold. It would Rev high and then jerk and shift. Although once it warmed up it was fine.

All in all she ended up rebuilding the transmition. Problem fixed.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Thanks for all the helpful advice. A year later, I still haven't changed the automatic transmission. Yesterday I did the 3rd fluid change with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and this has helped. Going with better brand name gasoline helped a lot too, surprisingly. But the tranny is still worn out imho at 223,000 miles. I'm torn between getting a low mileage replacement or soldiering on with it as is. I would not want to get stranded anywhere.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/RO.html

RO -- 90
MPRA -- 91-93
MP7A -- 94-95
SP7A -- 94-95
S4XA -- 96-01 <<
SKWA -- 96-01 <<

Transgo shift kit p/n HONDA-LK2

Last edited:

phatintegra

Banned
I will change the fluid soon. I can get Honda ATF from amazon.com cheaper than I can get it from a dealer, even after paying for shipping. That's even cheaper than Royal Purple but I may try RP anyway. The trans shifts fine in normal driving.

I'm worried about the transmission cooler leaking water into the transmission. I'll certainly be looking for traces of moisture the next time the fluid is changed. Coolant level seems to be staying the same which is a good sign.
Internal or external cooler? If your going to use Seafoam you better off doing a BGE flush.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Stock cooling via the radiator which was just replaced with a new OEM unit. Decided not to do the Seafoam. The tranny seems to get better with each fluid change yet there is lots of black stuff on the magnet. I'm procrastinating on replacing the unit but It's going to have to be done sooner or later.