So what's the difference between a b18a1 and b18b1?

mirrorimg

Wait so some CRV's with the b20 didn't have the standard b20 head that I would want?
You dont want the standard head.
only the Honda Orthia had them. the B20 from CRVs had a p75 head
As Dylan said, the standard head on USDM B20's is the P75. The EXACT same casting as B18B1 heads, and the B18A1 (PR4) heads.

Only the P8R head, off of an imported motor (from a Honda Orthia) has a different casting that utilizes bigger intake valves. This is the only LS head I would ever consider using. You can get over sized valves for P75 and PR4 heads, but youre limited to (I think) 31.5mm with is significantly smaller than 33mm. So even with a big port and polish on a typical LS head, you wont get the flow rates of the P8R.

You can see pictures of my P8R head in my build thread.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

As Dylan said, the standard head on USDM B20's is the P75. The EXACT same casting as B18B1 heads, and the B18A1 (PR4) heads.

Only the P8R head, off of an imported motor (from a Honda Orthia) has a different casting that utilizes bigger intake valves. This is the only LS head I would ever consider using. You can get over sized valves for P75 and PR4 heads, but youre limited to (I think) 31.5mm with is significantly smaller than 33mm. So even with a big port and polish on a typical LS head, you wont get the flow rates of the P8R.

tell me why i found one for sale a week after i picked up my C1

mirrorimg

tell me why i found one for sale a week after i picked up my C1
Sometimes that happens :???:

I came across one for $70 a month ago when I paid $160 for mine. Should have picked it up just for the intake valves... :(

Its all good though. A built VTEC will have higher peak HP than my non-VTEC. But I will have more torque through the power band

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Sometimes that happens :???:

I came across one for $70 a month ago when I paid $160 for mine. Should have picked it up just for the intake valves... :(

Its all good though. A built VTEC will have higher peak HP than my non-VTEC. But I will have more torque through the power band
and 70 dollars???????? :hithead: I wish I had that kinda luck lol aren't you from VA?

Prozon

Kris
The differences in a B18A1 and a B18B1 regarding externals I have noticed so far:
There's an extra coolant port on the B1 on the intake side of block.

But the intake swaps between the two, as well as exhaust, oil pan, oil pump, ect..

Like I said the only difference in the BLOCK itself I noticed was the B18B1 block had a coolant line that threads into the block above the oil filter.

Last edited:

redlandsskakid

i picked up a P8R head last week for $50 in perfect conditiion

this dude was gonna throw it away cause he couldnt find a buyer

j13

Keep It Clean
I'm a poor kid in Northern Virginia so people expect a fortune for the crap they throw away
That's how that person was but that's how junkyard work..they get wrecked vehicles, strip them, scrap the shell, sell each part as if its a fucking nugget of gold. If they don't sell it...it rots on property owned by crack heads. Once in a while they sell their junk for a grip. Most the time they get lowballed and get whatever they can.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
That's how that person was but that's how junkyard work..they get wrecked vehicles, strip them, scrap the shell, sell each part as if its a fucking nugget of gold. If they don't sell it...it rots on property owned by crack heads. Once in a while they sell their junk for a grip. Most the time they get lowballed and get whatever they can.
haha true for the most part but junkyards where I live are ten times cheaper than all the freakin NOVA ricers! Like honestly :

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/1882729134.html

and people wanting like 2000+ for their basically stock lsv's

talked to a guy about buying his none running beater 3rd gen teg. It was an auto, had rust, and body damage and he wanted like 2500 for it :roll:

Prozon

Kris
That sounds like the kind of price I would charge hehe.
Just thought I would let you know the water pump on an A1 and B1 are the same. The one I had was a Vtec one for some reason..

Yeah the nearest junkyard to me has a bunch of 80's integras and ONE 91 integra. I dropped by to see if I could find a distributor and the car was almost unrecognizable, The engine was in pieces, almost nothing left, doors were gone, interior was missing, everything lol. Oh and the other 10 first gen honda's were missing the dizzy lol.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast

Sorry for being a noon but from what you said with the casting of the b20 heads being the same a b18s, does that mean I could but b20 civic heads on my 95 Ls auto? I hate the b18 a and b heads and lsvtec has too many issues for me to want to mess with