SRI vs. CAI - Bang for the buck

iowagary

Alright all... I just had this conversation with a bunch of RSX owners, and then I found you guys - I'm tired of all those rich kids anyway.

Ok. I've got a 98 Integra non-VTEC. Who's got what kinda intake and what is their experience? I'm looking for a good value (I'm not going to get the AEM V2), good power, ease of installation, good looks, etc. I know a SR is easy to put in, but is it totally worthless? If it adds like 1 or 2 HP, forget it. I live in Seattle so it would be nice if this thing didn't hydrolock my car. Has anyone ever hydrolocked anything or is this just an old wive's tale? Who knows of a decent CAI that doesn't put the filter right by the ground?

Thanks in advance.

evan2

honestly a intake isnt going to do anything.. you are saying a sr will add maybe 1-2 hp, the cai will do the same at most

none the less easy things, get a good filter and attach it to the stock pipe, im not sure if hte intake is set up exactly the same as it is on the itr and gsr.. i have a gsr and i know it has the lil cold air box inside the fender just like the itr does

the apexi power filter is one of the best around , though its like 70 bucks.. i have that though its for my turbo..

i had a ghetto filter on my stock intake tube just for shits n giggles until i put on my turbo..

i would just get some piping somewhere and a good filter make your own intake.. dont buy the prefab shit cuz its a waste of money

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
the reason a CAI has more claimed hp is because of its length. theres a specific point in rpms where the velocity of the air coming in is at a optimum speed. which is about 4500 to 5500. the companies who say their CAIs give an additional 10 hp dont say that its between 4500-5500, and thats it. the peak power isnt much more than a SR. if you get a Dyno sheet of a SR and CAI on the same engine and compare them, youll see itll be nearly the same, til about 4500-5500 or so rpms, which would be where the CAI spikes, then it levels out with the SR again.

The stories you hear about hydrolocking are true. when i was in a performance shop, a guy came in asking the place if they could re-install his CAI. He destroyed his previous engine because it sucked up "3 gallons of water" according to him. i dont know where 3 gallons could go, but he had to get a new engine anyway. companies like AEM make a Bypass valve that prevent hydrolock. when your filter gets submerged, the valve opens up and draws air in from there, so that no water gets sucked up the tubing. Sport Compact Car did a good article on this subject, heres the LINK to the article.

I live in Arizona, so i dont really have too much worry about hydrolocking my engine. if it rains, ill stay in the lane the closest to the center of the road to prevent driving through puddles. One thing you can do, but i dont know if i would do it myself, is cut your CAI in half, and put some more rubber ...things (dont know the name of them) ... and leave it that way til it rains, and when it does rain, take your filter, and put it where you made your cut. it turns your CAI into a SR in seconds, and prevents hydro lock. so when it stops raining, you can put the rest of the piping back in to turn it back into a CAI. just a thought, i dont know if anybody has done this or not. Im still running on stock intake since putting a CAI or SR wont really benefit me.

JOEY

since you live where it rains a lot then just get a short ram. I think AC auto tech makes a nice one becuase the pipe is big and then gets small. SR intakes have better throttle response but the CAI will make more horsepower in the long run because the CAI gets air from under the car where it is colder and more dense air and the SR gets the air from under the hood where the engine gets hot of course but with the engine getting hot, power is lost.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Originally posted by "JOEY"

CAI will make more horsepower in the long run because the CAI gets air from under the car where it is colder and more dense air and the SR gets the air from under the hood where the engine gets hot of course but with the engine getting hot, power is lost.
not true, just another Internet Myth. youll have pretty much the same horse power. its been tested and proved. it has little effect. the only differences between CAI and SR is the hump around 4500-5500 that the CAI has. other than that, the graphs are the same.

JOEY

Originally posted by "Eviloliv3"

JOEY said:
CAI will make more horsepower in the long run because the CAI gets air from under the car where it is colder and more dense air and the SR gets the air from under the hood where the engine gets hot of course but with the engine getting hot, power is lost.
not true, just another Internet Myth. youll have pretty much the same horse power. its been tested and proved. it has little effect. the only differences between CAI and SR is the hump around 4500-5500 that the CAI has. other than that, the graphs are the same.
yeah but those dynos arent done when the car is hot after it been driven around for a while. Im sure the graphs look the same but in the long run the CAI will make more power because it is not going to get hot air from under the hood.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Originally posted by "JOEY"

Eviloliv3 said:
JOEY said:
yeah but those dynos arent done when the car is hot after it been driven around for a while. Im sure the graphs look the same but in the long run the CAI will make more power because it is not going to get hot air from under the hood.
again, not true. for any dyno test, the car should be warmed up to normal operating temp, or else youll vet inaccurate readings, and risk possible harm to your engine. also, air on the side of your engine bay isnt as hot as you think it is

JOEY

also, air on the side of your engine bay isnt as hot as you think it is[/quote
well Im sure it is where Im from. but all in all I was happy with my old AEM cold air. I recomend that shit.]

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
I live in Arizona... the hottest part of the United States....

again, the air isnt as hot as you think it is

x0supermonkey0x

i have a short ram... it performs fine... i live in houston... it gets hella hot here.. and also.. the shortram is pretty straight and that gets better flow.. and also.. with cold air.. there is always a daner with hydro lock..

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
theres only danger if you run through deep puddles. if you avoid em, theres no problem.

SR has better flow? maybe by a lil bit, but not enought to make a difference. the CAIs have longer tubing while increases the velocity of the air.

Baldy201

the CAI and SR are good to open the airways a little. If you are looking for HP from an Intake go for a comptech Icebox. may not look like muchbut it gives the best midrange power and best top end. there was a intake test that just came out that said that the icebox gave the best 1/4 mile times while giveing the second best top end HP. If you are looking for looks then go with a CA or SR but if you are looking for function over form then go with the ice box. in the end it really doesnt matter about a couple HP from a little tube. It is your car do what you want.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Comptech Ice Box is a great intake. i helped install it on my buddies GSR in about 30 minutes.

btw, they only have them for G3s, not G2s

hyper98gsr

i dont know about you guys but i was sick of hearing everyones' many vast opinions about cai vs. sr.

i bought a cheap cai off ebay(all the same right?). i hooked up the short ram and drove it like that for about a week. it sounded nice and felt alright.

then i hooked up the cai extension. i definately noticed a difference in power. i dont care what anyone says, its worth it. you can look at all these dynos but you dont know how long they ran the car or the temp. and you cant really simulate outside airflow, which is what the cai thrives off of.

and like eviloliv3 said: you need to go through a pretty deep puddle to get hydro lock.
also, you have to sit in the puddle for a full 4-stroke cycle. c'mon now.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Originally posted by "hyper98gsr"

i dont know about you guys but i was sick of hearing everyones' many vast opinions about cai vs. sr.

i bought a cheap cai off ebay(all the same right?). i hooked up the short ram and drove it like that for about a week. it sounded nice and felt alright.

then i hooked up the cai extension. i definately noticed a difference in power. i dont care what anyone says, its worth it. you can look at all these dynos but you dont know how long they ran the car or the temp. and you cant really simulate outside airflow, which is what the cai thrives off of.

and like eviloliv3 said: you need to go through a pretty deep puddle to get hydro lock.
also, you have to sit in the puddle for a full 4-stroke cycle. c'mon now.
and there you have it. i forgot to mention that the eBay CAIs are good enough to use. just get a K&N filter and youll be set. theres a article in www.Team-Integra.net that shows the heat differences between where the CAI picks up air to where the SRI picks up air. the temperatures are the same at speed, its only different at idle. the CAI supposedly picking up colder air is just another marketing scam. just like how they are supposed to give an entra 10hp. which is only at the 4500-5500 "hump"