Supercharger or Turbo

01cleatus

So it wouldnt be a good idea to do an ls/vtec on my teg. Thanks for the advice its just that seemed to be a good deal I also found a B20 from a CRV for sell. I was alos wondering if that was a good application for my car. Probably not knowing my luck. I do remembering some peeps around here talking about a B20 or a ls/vtec so I guess I should just do some more research then. My funds for the supercharger/ turbo fund are looking kind of promising I am around $ 600 bucks right now and thats not tapping in to my christmas gift fund so here's prayin for like maybe February or March. Thats the only reason I was looking into recently changing the head.

BoostedITR41

01cleatus said:
So it wouldnt be a good idea to do an ls/vtec on my teg. Thanks for the advice its just that seemed to be a good deal I also found a B20 from a CRV for sell. I was alos wondering if that was a good application for my car. Probably not knowing my luck. I do remembering some peeps around here talking about a B20 or a ls/vtec so I guess I should just do some more research then. My funds for the supercharger/ turbo fund are looking kind of promising I am around $ 600 bucks right now and thats not tapping in to my christmas gift fund so here's prayin for like maybe February or March. Thats the only reason I was looking into recently changing the head.

no NON-VTEC motors have piston cooling oil squirters which at a big plus when reving to 8k and above. B20 also have very weak sleeves so avoid it. all a B20 is =ls stroke+84mm pistons. go LS if you are wanting a motor like that and just get it sleeved and bore it to 84mm

integ21

Wouldnt be a bad idea to do a ls/vtec ....but if not done rite it could cause nothing but problems for you in the long run. Your still gonna have to do some internal work with the bottom end, sure the vtec head makes more power up top and can rev high but your bottom end wasnt designed for high rpms like the vtec motors. Your on the rite track with the researching thing and I give you 2 thumbs up for that, its always good to research before you go spending alot of money.

XTurboAcuraX

i have a question. how the hell does a 19 year old buy a brand new sti without any help from his parents? aren't they like 30 thousand bucks? they are cool as hell too. fast and everything.

BoostedITR41

just turbo your car with a respectable sized turbo. you should have no problem runnin with that STi. Like I said before I beat up on em all year at the track with a greddy turbo kit with my own form of fuel management(fmu, 450cc injectors, afc, missing link, 255lph pump). that is with the small IC piping and all. a turbo honda tuned well should have no problem hitting 12's

01cleatus

XTurboAcuraX said:
i have a question. how the hell does a 19 year old buy a brand new sti without any help from his parents? aren't they like 30 thousand bucks? they are cool as hell too. fast and everything.
Well that is my friends dream car and in 02 when they came out he had his eyes set on a wrx at first. Well since then basically every dollar that he earned for about 3 years was saved because he still lives at home and really has no bills, also he had his sister's eclipse GST which was his at the time that he traded it in on the deal too.Also he got a job at a car dealership and became friends with the manager and now he his the head of the detailing department and he got the manager to work out a deal to get a STI at the cheapest price that they could. SO.......... basically it was something he had been talking about for years. Which sucks cause I was all excited about getting my integra and how big of a bump it was from my neon and he gets an STI like a few weeks later. Go figure.(LMAO) I give him props cause he has his dream car that he wanted at an early age.

misplacedcivic

kudos to your friend for doin that, kudos to you too cleatus for getting a LS teg over a neon, your right, that IS a big step up (unless you had an SRT4 or something)

01cleatus

I am seriously waiting for this christmas bill to be lifted and then I still think I am going to max out my credit card cause I just can't wait in all honesty. I have been talking to everyone in my sorry ass town about who is the best for everything so when it comes time I am ready and there will be no surprises or stones left unturned.

01cleatus

I f you go into the whels/tires/suspension you will see the rims I just bought. I am waiting for them to get shipped from Konig now.

JimDCXC

01cleatus said:
Which would be more cost effective, productive, safer on the car, and less maintenance? Please help me out, becasue this is definately the place for answers.
Your'e asking four different questions there.
1. Turbocharger is more cost effective
2. Turbocharger is more productive
3. Supercharger is safer on the car
4. I would say a supercharger is less maintenance but if you get the tuning right on the turbo and don't mess around with it, it should be relatively low maintenance also.

dc2nr

JimDCXC said:
Your'e asking four different questions there.
1. Turbocharger is more cost effective
2. Turbocharger is more productive
3. Supercharger is safer on the car
4. I would say a supercharger is less maintenance but if you get the tuning right on the turbo and don't mess around with it, it should be relatively low maintenance also.
well put, id have to say both are cost effective to an extent. depends on which brands u get and what type.

u cant just compare the whole Supercharger lot to the Turbo lot.

there are roots style (JRSC) and centrifugal (Vortech), and i wont even start naming all the kits turbos have and size variations.

ill touch on the JRSC

JR superchargers have instant power, since they are pulley drivin
the amount of boost made is dictated by the size of the pulley on the charger or the crank.
belts are easily replaceable and so are most parts on the setup
on the downside, the manifold heats up very fast and is at risk the more boost you add, there is waterinjection but that negates the "cost effective pattern" even then there is a peak boost, and its around 10-12 on daily drivers

turbos might have a slight lag but there power created is almost limitless, highway monsters for sure, turbos can add the kick you want at any amount u want. too many combos

what sounds do you like?
superchargers also whine, which i love, turbos have a nice spool thengo PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
:D

either way you would be happy with the setup you choose

i prefer to be sleeper, no one knows im supercharged, i spend most of the day never hitting boost. its a bolt on kit and designed to work without any tuning, so i installed it myself and it worked out fine. i lucked out and bought my kit used in mint great condition.

all statements are of my opinions, if i said anything incorrect please fix it. thanks