Supercharger or Turbo

Todd

token ex-mod
b18b's respond VERY well to turbo's, sc's are parasitic meaning they take power to make power... and low torque motors dont do very well with s/c's.... a b18 is considered a low torque motor

01cleatus

By the way thankyou Baldy201 for the info and sites just checked that stuff out. It had some good advise for the supercharger. I think I am leaning more that way at the moment but I still am not sure. But thankyou again.

01cleatus

Thanks MoJoJoJo if you were talking about my car. I still don't know how to get it to go as a part of my name like the rest of you guys and girls got pics next to your names when you post. Oh and Todd thankyou for the advise too about the turbo. Well last night I went to our import meeting and almost everyone there said to go turbo. Which I keep hearing as a reoccuring trend. But I ran into this guy with a LS 3rd gen like mine that he custom built his turbo system and he was runing like high 12's but he said he was runin at about 10PSI and I don't really know much about turbos but I have been reading some about them lately especially the stuff that Baldy201 told me to check out. I have been getting some great info. I was also wondering what would be a safe but also beneficiary amount of boost to put on my B18b1?

TurboBH

Todd said:
b18b's respond VERY well to turbo's, sc's are parasitic meaning they take power to make power... and low torque motors dont do very well with s/c's.... a b18 is considered a low torque motor
Yeah listen to Todd here man, Superchargers are very parasitic. Because of you using a belt to get the forced induction, you are robbing hp from your motor. Turbochargers on the other hand use wasted exhaust energy to give you even more hp. Let me put it this way, if two cars were identical with mods and everything but one had a turbo and the other a supercharger, even running the exact same boost. The turbo would beat him outright. Go turbo.

Baldy201

Have you raced any one with a Supercharger and you turbo being at the same boost? Granted the Superchargers may not have the high horsepower numbers like turbos but the supercharger has a better streetable power, lower end torque. I would think that it would be a close race is if everything was the same between turbo and supercharger. If you have the same HP numbers then I would have to say that the supercharger will win. The broader powerband will give better times than a peaky power band(aka turbo). but what do I know I am a N/A guy, even if it is a B18b.

Todd

token ex-mod
the super charger takes it off the line, the turbo blows past in 2nd wins by about 2 cars.... i've seen the race, the s/c is good for autox where you dont get going more than 40mph, anything after that the turbo COMPLETLEY owns

integ21

If reliability and power are important to you then consider first uprgading your motor for a forced induction application. This means do a rebuild but with aftermarket parts that are made to handle the high revs and high boost, like, FI Pistons, Rods, Bearings, Balanced Crank, Headwork, etc... IMO, Id rebuild the motor, bore it out to a 2.0lt, then turbo 12psi w/kit (injectors, igniton, Intercooler..etc), and if I wanted more id spray it. But thats me, if you want the cheaper route just go turbo and spray it, you should be able to keep up or if not beat the STI

TurboBH

Baldy201 said:
Have you raced any one with a Supercharger and you turbo being at the same boost? Granted the Superchargers may not have the high horsepower numbers like turbos but the supercharger has a better streetable power, lower end torque. I would think that it would be a close race is if everything was the same between turbo and supercharger. If you have the same HP numbers then I would have to say that the supercharger will win. The broader powerband will give better times than a peaky power band(aka turbo). but what do I know I am a N/A guy, even if it is a B18b.
In order for the power numbers to be the same the Supercharger would have to be running more boost then the turbo. And on today's high quality ceramic ball bearing turbos, lag isn't much of a problem, so as todd points out the SC only has the turbo off the line then the turbo eats the SC's lunch.

BoostedITR41

turbo without a question....with around 300whp I was rocking STi's at the track all year. they are fast but it is all in the set up....I love mine 300whp+making boost 1500rpm= daily driver

misplacedcivic

beware too of false advertising. for example Jackson Racing. they claim a 40% increase in hp and 30% in tq. if you look at dynos they're not even close to that. that is IF you decide to go super. i personnally am biased to turbos and here's why. as mentioned earlier that sick sound of a BOV, plus the extra "strain" from that belt to drive the super. people complain about turbo lag, but isn't that only til about 3k rpms? in first gear it doesn't take a long time to get to 3k. ntm i hear that you can't adjust the boost on super's, whereas a turbo you can. and finally, think about all the sweet 4 banger rockets. STI, Evo, SRT4. and of course porsche, and i could go on and on about others (btw, i'm not saying porsche's are 4 bangers) surely these manufacturers know what's best.
super's are sweet, but give me a turbo anyday :)

BoostedITR41

misplacedcivic said:
beware too of false advertising. for example Jackson Racing. they claim a 40% increase in hp and 30% in tq. if you look at dynos they're not even close to that. that is IF you decide to go super. i personnally am biased to turbos and here's why. as mentioned earlier that sick sound of a BOV, plus the extra "strain" from that belt to drive the super. people complain about turbo lag, but isn't that only til about 3k rpms? in first gear it doesn't take a long time to get to 3k. ntm i hear that you can't adjust the boost on super's, whereas a turbo you can. and finally, think about all the sweet 4 banger rockets. STI, Evo, SRT4. and of course porsche, and i could go on and on about others (btw, i'm not saying porsche's are 4 bangers) surely these manufacturers know what's best.
super's are sweet, but give me a turbo anyday :)

to a point you are right. lag, false advertising, blah blah blah. talk effiency turbos are in the 70-80percent range(some even higher) most SC's don't get out of the 60% range simple because of parasitic losses and heat soak.

by the way lag is dependent on turbo choice....some don't really make any boost till 4k on street cars which is pretty laggy(SC61, t3/t67, etc) but give good top end pull....it is all in what you want

01cleatus

Wow I thought people stopped looking at this thread and just for fun I gave it a look.lol. Well Integ21 suggested builing up the motor fist and that sounds right. So I was just online and was wondering if I change the head to a GSR head which I found one online for only 350 with the complete shabang- bang. It was off of a 95 GSR. Should I change the head in my teg or leave it alone with the B18B1 because I have heard and I might be wrong but I heard that the B18B1 is better than the GSR for turbos for some reason. Is this true or would the GSR be better for boosting.

BoostedITR41

01cleatus said:
Wow I thought people stopped looking at this thread and just for fun I gave it a look.lol. Well Integ21 suggested builing up the motor fist and that sounds right. So I was just online and was wondering if I change the head to a GSR head which I found one online for only 350 with the complete shabang- bang. It was off of a 95 GSR. Should I change the head in my teg or leave it alone with the B18B1 because I have heard and I might be wrong but I heard that the B18B1 is better than the GSR for turbos for some reason. Is this true or would the GSR be better for boosting.

the problem with a LS/VTEC is that the LS bottom end doesn't have oil squirters....not a good idea IMO....I would go with a GSR block, ls crank, ls aftermarket rods and some aftermarket pistons....you get the LS displacment with oil squirters and vtec