swap or spun rod bearing replacement?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Last rebuilt LS motor I sold, I got 400 bucks out of....LS motors don't bring in a whole lot of money, simply because you can buy them from a JDM site for under 800 shipped like Kris (prozon) said

fadikabir

i found a local manufacturer that sells jdm engines with fairly good mileage on them for around $1300 with lsd transmission.25 to 35k.
I like the idea of rebuilding it and selling it for money but its not just worth the time. I would rather sell it to someone who would like to rebuild it.

Prozon

Kris
I'm not sure you can make much if any profit selling an LS motor. Rebuilding it right takes a few bucks.
$1300 seems fairly high. Maybe it's the LSD trans putting the price up. I remember finding quite a few companies when I was searching. Never went over $800 for an LS motor.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
1300 for a low mileage swap with a LSD trans isn't a bad deal honestly. You can't buy a quality LSD alone for 500, ask me how I know lol

fadikabir

does 5 speed hydraulic transmission means it is LSD?

Rich-PMS

No. It means it's not a cable clutch. It's hydrolic.

I wouldn't trust a "jdm engine" at the LEAST- replace all oil seals, water pump, timing belt, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gaskets.

Buying a jdm engine you have NO idea ANY of the history. Just be careful and be SMART about it

Prozon

Kris
Yes, if you're buying a used engine it wouldn't hurt to put $150 into a gasket/seal kit.
There's a junkyard around here that sells motors with a warranty, but you have to basically replace everything on the motor minus bearings and piston rings lol.

DohctorRob

The Dohctor is in
I rebuild my ls motors right I don't make much of a profit no but im also trying to gain experience and the best way to get to know your motor is to tear it apart and put it back together yourself but I still usually make about 20% profit on my motors

Prozon

Kris
What do you mean by doing it right? In my opinion doing it right is nothing less of machining the rods, crank and cylinders. Among new bearings, gaskets, seals, ect. That can get spendy. With all the machine work I don't think I can make much of a profit. Certainly not 20% anyways. I see motors going for $400 or so on craigslist. $800 OR LESS from a company. I don't think someone is going to want to buy my rebuilt motor for $600+.

DohctorRob

The Dohctor is in
I happen to be lucky enough to know the auto teacher down at the local votech school, I give him rods cylinders and cranks and he machines them for me usuallly he lets his seniors do it they get the experience I get the work and they do good work too he inspects it and everything and its free so I can still make a profit but trust me im not doing it for profit

DohctorRob

The Dohctor is in
I take it you missed my earlier post about wanting the experiencing and learning more about my motor. I'm a diyer, I have no training to work on motors I just rip shit apart and put it back together and over time I started getting better. I just want the experience the little bit extra I make on it is a nice bonus though

fadikabir

so i got the engine checked. No spun bearing(Fhew!!!). the problem is a loose valve slap against the rocker arm while the engine runs that is causing a ticking noise. i dont think im guna bother spending money to get this repair done. Probably replace the motor once I have enough money saved up.