tapping sound

bobrc79

I have a 2000 gsr and was driving home from work today and it started making this ticking or tapping sound at about 2500-3000 rpms. Right as I pulled into the driveway the car died and now it wont even turn over. Any suggestions on where to start?

bobrc79

I guess you could call it knocking I could hear it in the cab with the radio and a/c on. it would also do it in neutral. The car has 180,000 miles on it. I just got the thing for free from my mother in law all it needed was a clutch master cylinder and a battery. it probably sat without running for about 4 months. It almost acts like the motor has seized up. I checked the oil all looked good. not sure about fuel or spark. I need to pull the valve cover and timing cover to check the belt and valves.

97GSRVTEC

Sounds like the sure sign of timing belt to me. Good luck and hope for the best man, hopefully not alot of head damage!!

bobrc79

Just got done removing the valve cover and everything looks good. The belt looks brand new.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
if the timing belt broke it wouldnt drive....idk y you guys are suggesting that
if its loud it is rod knock (very bad)
if its just noticable then its a valve tick, just get a valve adjustment and it should go away.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
oh...
is the timing belt still intact?
it could have slipped a tooth which could cause the ticking
is the crank turning?

Last edited:

bobrc79

The belt looks great. It won't crank at all. The battery was just bought Friday. A guy I work with said he saw a little bit of white smoke when I passed him so I started thinking blown head gasket but no water on the oil.

bobrc79

Even if the belt has slipped the motor would still turn over right? It acts like something is stuck. My buddy has a lift so I will probably pull the pan this weekend. Anything I should look for?

mirrorimg

Even if the belt has slipped the motor would still turn over right? It acts like something is stuck. My buddy has a lift so I will probably pull the pan this weekend. Anything I should look for?
Big chunks of metal. If you see them, you spun a bearing.

hectorspeed1

Now it wont even crank
hey im new in the forum but im having the same problem with my teg. i did a valve adjustment and i guess they are too tight and the car wont even crank and before i did the valve adjustment it was making a very LOUD tapping noise any ideas??? thanks in advance:shock: