Tranny isnt going all the way in?

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Mind snapping a pic off real quick? You can try doing the bolt tightening method, but if it is too hard to tighten stop.
Well I'm at work.right now but i have the tranny on the block. I'll take one when i get home. I have my engine on a hoist and the transmission is on it. Also my dowel pins aren't going in for some reason.

Beat92240

^^ Exactly, Don't try to force it on with the bolts. The tranny is probably going on slightly cockeyed. This happens all the time. You need to take it back off and try again. Make sure you are putting it on straight and then like they said twist, wiggle, and push until it goes on nice. You can put some grease(not too much) on the tranny shaft splines, sometimes that helps.
Totally agree with this guy. I've done between 60 and 80 transmissions, probably 40-50 of those while working at the honda dealership, and have never had to pull a trans to the block with a bolt. If you do somethings not right wether it be a bunch of stuff rust on the dowels, not lined up right, splines a little off, whatever it is if you have to use bolts to suck it together something isn't right. just make sure everythings lubed and clean and it'll go together with a little jiggalig.

Beat92240

Well I'm at work.right now but i have the tranny on the block. I'll take one when i get home. I have my engine on a hoist and the transmission is on it. Also my dowel pins aren't going in for some reason.
If you have that going on its usually easier to have one stable and one on the hoist so you only have to wrestle with one thing at a time. Throw the trans on a table and have someone hold it still or use ratchet straps, whatever so it doesn't move much. Then get the motor parallel with it while its hanging from the hoist and move the engine on the hoist since it will be able to have a lot more play on it. It'll slide on.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
If you have that going on its usually easier to have one stable and one on the hoist so you only have to wrestle with one thing at a time. Throw the trans on a table and have someone hold it still or use ratchet straps, whatever so it doesn't move much. Then get the motor parallel with it while its hanging from the hoist and move the engine on the hoist since it will be able to have a lot more play on it. It'll slide on.
alrighty, just got home and ima give it another try. ill let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
damit :( its just not going in.. the dowels wont go in the hole..

i need help any more advice guys?

Last edited:

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
i said fuk it and just screwed the bolts in to make the tranny flush with the block. Hope my car doesnt explode :thumbs up

Nick_C78

That pic was perfect dude. That was plenty close enough to start using the bolts. It won't explode lol. good job.

72Spitfire

I just had the same issue several days ago while doing a B20 swap. I mounted the engine in the car, then put the tranny on my chest and scooted myself under the car. Lifted transmission onto spline and wiggled and it slid on, mine had a slight gap like yours but when I added the bolts it pulled together easily. Just make sure you tighten all of the equally as it mates to the engine block.

Jeffbel

I just had the same issue several days ago while doing a B20 swap. I mounted the engine in the car, then put the tranny on my chest and scooted myself under the car. Lifted transmission onto spline and wiggled and it slid on, mine had a slight gap like yours but when I added the bolts it pulled together easily. Just make sure you tighten all of the equally as it mates to the engine block.
Lol He. Said. Mates. Hahahaha