Tranny isnt going all the way in?

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
so i am having tranny problems. im doing a b20 swap and swapping my ls tranny over, but like my tranny want go all the way in and sit flush with the block. The right dowel will go in but the left one wont and its like an inch or so gap between. I used a universal alignment tool for my clutch. Idk what to do now. :(

Beat92240

Sounds like a dowel alignment issue. If the clutch alignment is off neither side will suck in...it will be even gap the whole way around. Make sure the dowel hole is clean, pull the dowel and clean it up with sandpaper, then use a healthy dose of grease or lube on both dowels, dowel holes, and input shaft on the transmission

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Okay ill try that. Also, like.. is my tranny suppose to slide on easily? I get to the point where the input shaft is in the hole but it won't slide all the way in. There is a big gap all around and i don't know what the problem is.

Beat92240

Its kind of a wiggle and push event (my favorite type!). Its very dependent on the spline alignment of the input shaft and the crank. the grease/lube will help it but if it doesn't go right in the first time you may have to move the crank around a little so the splines on it line up with the input shaft. This is usually easier with 2 people, one turning the crank over as slow as possible while the other person trying to slide in the trans. When they align it should go in the whole way with no issue. if theres around an inch gap the whole way around between the trans and motor I would say its an alignment issue with this.

Did you take the clutch out or put a new one on the motor? The alignment tool could be off a little if its a "universal" like you said. I don't think clutch brand will matter as much as engine type though. By that I mean if its a "universal" B20 alignment tool you should be good. If its just a "universal alignment tool for any motor"...you may have some issues with clutch/crank alignment depending on how much spline play there is in the tool.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Okay. I'll give it another try when I get home. I had the same problem when i was taking the tranny off my block. I took out all the bolts and I had to pry it apart from the block. There was an inch gap all around and the trans still didn't come off til I yanked on it hard enough. I was thinking maybe if I can get it close enough to the block, maybe I can start screwing in the bolts to close the gap between the block and trans? Is this a good idea?

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
move the dowel pin to another hole. or thread a bolt through and tighten it.
That's what I was thinking. But would it cause any problems because I thought the trans is suppose to slide on flush with the block with no gaps?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
it does sometimes its not parallel with each other. I couldnt get mine to go flush when putting it in one day so i just threw bolts in and made it flush. No problems after when i changed to my LSD transmission or when i did my main seal.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
it does sometimes its not parallel with each other. I couldnt get mine to go flush when putting it in one day so i just threw bolts in and made it flush. No problems after when i changed to my LSD transmission or when i did my main seal.
Okay ill try that. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Just use common sense when doing that. If you have the wrench the crap out of it to pull the two together then something is not fitting together and you will pull the threads out of the block. Just jiggle and rotate the trans while pushing towards the block.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Just use common sense when doing that. If you have the wrench the crap out of it to pull the two together then something is not fitting together and you will pull the threads out of the block. Just jiggle and rotate the trans while pushing towards the block.
I did wiggle the trans back and forth til it fit in, but there is still a gap. I pushed it as far as I can too..

Nick_C78

^^ Exactly, Don't try to force it on with the bolts. The tranny is probably going on slightly cockeyed. This happens all the time. You need to take it back off and try again. Make sure you are putting it on straight and then like they said twist, wiggle, and push until it goes on nice. You can put some grease(not too much) on the tranny shaft splines, sometimes that helps.

Nick_C78

I did wiggle the trans back and forth til it fit in, but there is still a gap. I pushed it as far as I can too..
How big is the gap now? If it is like a quarter inch and the same gap all the way around then it is safe to use the bolts to pull it together.

Nick_C78

Mind snapping a pic off real quick? You can try doing the bolt tightening method, but if it is too hard to tighten stop.