Transmission/Engine shaking, low/no throttle response

Noneed2Hate

As of yesterday I started experiencing some weird issues while driving my 2001 LS with 151k+ miles..

If I drive it like a grandma it's fine, however once I open the throttle a little more aggressively (say to get up a hill) there is no feeling of acceleration even though the gauge is climbing in rpms and car seems to shudder/grind . (I'll see if I can get a video of this occurring)
RPM range this has been occurring has been 2.5k-4k, I'm unsure if it continues at higher rpm ranges since I let off the throttle as the shuddering scares the crap out of me.

A couple things about the car, Clutch has about 5k miles on it, Flywheel has about 5k miles on it, clutch line has about 5k miles on it, the transmission itself was obtained by the shop that did my manual swap, so I'm unsure as to whether it was freshly rebuilt before they procured it or how many miles are on the transmission. (I'll be asking them) Axles are from a junkyard car. The engine is going on 151k miles, with a new timing belt put in at 150k as well as all the other basic tune-up parts replaced within 145k-150k miles.

Checked my master cylinder and brake reservoirs, both are right in between the Min and Max lines.

I'm honestly not sure where to begin troubleshooting this.

Anything you guys can think of? and any other information you might need?

Thank you.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
do you have a cat?
Its not transmission related unless your clutch is slipping. I think its cap or rotor or plugs or a clogged cat. clogged cats can make your car bog like that

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
The video would be nice. I remember when my wires went bad the car shuttered terribly but went away as soon as I got new wires. Wouldn't hurt to replace them anyways though. I highly recommend NGK.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
The video would be nice. I remember when my wires went bad the car shuttered terribly but went away as soon as I got new wires. Wouldn't hurt to replace them anyways though. I highly recommend NGK.
there was an article on temple of vtec that showed that HONDA OEM wires would hold a more stable power band over the years vs ngk but it wasnt a big difference

Noneed2Hate

Cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs are pretty new, so should I just replace them all again?

I'll see about cleaning the CAT

Noneed2Hate

Alright so after playing around with it, and troubleshooting I think it has something to do with my clutch and here is my reasoning why.

I am able to accelerate from a dead stop in 4th gear at 3k rpms. My car won't stall out after releasing the clutch gently and entirely while in first gear (when not in motion).

So I assume the clutch has never fully "disengaged" (or engaged, not sure which term to use when the pedal is not being pressed in at all) after the transmission swap thus leading me to pre-maturely wear down my clutch to the point where won't catch slightly while depressed.

Thoughts?

Also video of the "bogging" occuring.
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjtce1w4Gg&feature=youtu.be"][/YOUTUBE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjtce1w4Gg&feature=youtu.be

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Did the shop that did the swap warranty it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
yeah seems like its slipping some. your master could be causing it. or your slave. But i would think it would be hard to get in and out of gear.

Noneed2Hate

yeah seems like its slipping some. your master could be causing it. or your slave. But i would think it would be hard to get in and out of gear.
I did notice some fluid around my master inside the car (though my fluid levels are right where they need to be in the reservoir), I haven't had a chance to check the slave yet.

My master and slave cylinders were bought second hand so it probably wouldn't hurt to switch them out with new ones.

Last edited: