turbo? or not?

stormnorman

i was thinking if i should turbo my 95 ls or just get another engine... i really wanted to look up the weight difference between having my b18b or a k20a engine and turbo the b18b vs the k20a. or should i get a b18c1 and turbo that? which would be lighter?
well it all really depends on what youre trying to do, daily driver? track? alittle of both? how much HP you want? ls blocks(b18a's,b18b's) are one of the easiest to boost: low compression and are known to handle the beating. boosted stock like 7,8 ibs should be fine, 10 and over i would build the engine alittle more. b18c1's you would have to do alittle more to boost, and take in regard to that its high compression and when vtec hits. boost+vtec hitting at the same time = BOOM lol. not sure what would be light or on k20 swaps but hey go to here: http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html i know its mainly for gen 2's but scroll from the top alittle down and it should list some engine specifics and why people boost them all that jazz. and always remember the tune!

Last edited:

stormnorman

anyways heres where im leaking from:

leaking right where the braid ends. and teg21 sorry to jack your thread man, and to everyone im updating my build thread. so click on the link.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
i would not recommend getting a ebay kit because it's a hit or miss situation on if it is junk or not, like prozon mentioned, ive seen some fall apart within a week and some last over 2 years.

If you do resort to a ebay kit, make sure to upgrade the BOV and the Wastegate. Get a TUNE most importantly.

The best way is to piece together your own kit like i did. You can save money and headaches by doing so.

money

i would not recommend getting a ebay kit because it's a hit or miss situation on if it is junk or not, like prozon mentioned, ive seen some fall apart within a week and some last over 2 years.

If you do resort to a ebay kit, make sure to upgrade the BOV and the Wastegate. Get a TUNE most importantly.

The best way is to piece together your own kit like i did. You can save money and headaches by doing so.
how much did u spend on piecing it together?

Prozon

Kris
Weight shouldn't be your concern. A K20a that's turbocharged will smoke anything else. If you have access to one then get it! Those are not cheap engines and they make a ton of power stock.

hidenplanvew

ok 1k bucks for a turbo if you want a full blown race turbo... Garrett T3's off volvos can be had for 90 to 120 bucks in running condition, cast iron manifold 60 bucks, Intercooler kits 120 ish, turbo smart BOV, tial wastegate (always use name brands you cheap out here your motor is going to be trash!!) FIC injectors or DSM 440's, Dont say you can make a turbo kit for like 500 cause your going to have to replace most thos parts in the ebay kit anyways cause there wastegate and BOV are trash! Ya I have seen ebay turbo kits last but about 90% of them fail within a year in not 15 min of running. No matter what your going to have to pay for an ECU (hondata, Chrome PRO or Neptune RTP) no matter what! If you run a VAFC you should be punched in the face and your car raped.

hidenplanvew

K20's are by far more exspensive then turboing by a long shot! K20's will make tons of power but when they let loose they usally spit a rod out the block or a piston through the head. Most times they cant be reused and you have to start over and get a compleat whole new motor.

But if your considering turboing your car you should plan on atleast spending around 3k for everything and a tune so good luck

Ok Vtec and boost go boom???? Are you kidding me dude The vtec motors are alot stronger and Whoever has blown a vtec motor cause it "VTEC" means they had a shitty tunner and didnt know what they are doing! Vtec motros are by far a better motor and make more power on the same amount of boost. Only thing nice about LS motors is the tq that they produce but my D16Z6 will walk a b18 up and down the track because it dosent produce a ton of Tq and that means I can keep traction the whole way. I have Both a B18b1 turbo, D16z6 turbo I much rather have the D16Z6 cause I dont spin tires with 440whp

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Where are you getting that statistic? 90% of them fail huh? I think if that was true they wouldn't be selling at all. Do you know ANYTHING about turbo's or are you just spouting off what you hear on the net? I know plenty of guys running eBay turbo's. Not to mention at least three members here are running Godspeed turbos, and I've heard nothing bad so far. From what I keep reading of your posts it doesn't sound like you know much at all. Honestly its kind of annoying to hear from you.

Where the f*** can you find a manifold for sixty bucks? Post up some links. EBAY? Decent cast iron mani's are over $200. Intercooler kits are more then $120 too. Unless your shopping EBAY! Tial wastegates are what, $200 used? I'll give you the volvo turbo, but personally I wouldn't run it. I'd rather buy new, which regardless is more then $120 bucks. There. Your over your $500 mark already.

Think before you post jackass.

hidenplanvew

I dont know anything about turbos, you dont even know me or what I have so unless you want to race this summer shut the hell up.. More offen then not the ebay turbos fail, the turbo manifolds fail, the wastegates fail,.... Since we are talking about buying a ebay turbo kit then yes you can get all those things from ebay. So you actually answered your own question! I said you could part together a turbo kit that was better then the kits they sale on there. Even if you use a turbo manifold and intercooler kit atleast your still not going to have a turbo that actually has a real name. My D16Z6 was one of the first to make over 400 whp so keep talking shit, you might have a "turbo" teg but I bet its slow so shut up and let people who know something put the .2 cents in.

Prozon

Kris
OMGZ LETS GO STREET RACING!!! Just hope that 100 shot of nitrous don't blow the welds on your intake!

Your a f***ing joke, everybody thinks it, i'm just not nice enough to make fun of you behind your back, i'll say it to your f***ing face. So lets let the people who know something put their two cents in, so you can go elsewhere and stop talking.

How do you figure a vtec motor is stronger? A B18a1 or b1 is a better motor to boost mainly because of the lower compression. You sound like some dips*** 16 year old who has his first car and you think you can impress everyone by spouting off information, which for the most part is false.

I would be more than happy to race you on the track this summer if you're ANYWHERE in Washington.

hidenplanvew

Im sure so many people talk behind my back, What is this highschool well I guess you failed out so you dont know, so shut the fuc* up and give your car to someone who actually knows how to take care of it and make it quick. Kiss my ass and come out to Colorado and ill show you a D16Z6 that will beat the piss out of your poor little b18 and I did mean on the track dumbass. You cant silence me plus I dont really give a crap about you cause I will probley never know you nor wouldI want to so kick rocks and actually get a life other then sitting on forums and wishing you actually had a nice car.

hidenplanvew

The rods in the b18b1 on are thinner then C1 rods, and in the option of compression level your thinking very old school.. If you have someone who can actually tune you can make anything run on boost. You can also use E85 which is like 108 octane and the BTU's are by far alot lower the normal dino fuel. If you know anything about boost you would know the higher the compression (with a good tuner) you can run less boost and make the same as a motor with lower compression having to run higher boost levels. My buddy is running 500whp on a stock GSR block and has been doing so for over 2 years granted he dosent drive it much but still it has lasted.

Anyways back on topic, The eaby turbo kits are not great and I would part together a turbo kit and actually have something thats not a joke.. You have to pay to play...

Prozon

Kris
You sure do talk a lot of shit and claim to know what you're talking about but have yet to say anything to prove it.

And lets see, how is my car a piece of shit? It's got a beat up body, which I will do the body work and paint on in the next few months. It has 400 miles on a completely rebuilt motor, it has 200 miles on a completely rebuilt transmission and clutch and 200 miles on brand new energy suspension bushings. (Installed the master kit.) In what way is that a piece of shit? The car was "totaled' when I bought it and it's had a lot of upgrades since then, all of which I have done myself.

Why not pull your head out of your ass?

stormnorman

K20's are by far more exspensive then turboing by a long shot! K20's will make tons of power but when they let loose they usally spit a rod out the block or a piston through the head. Most times they cant be reused and you have to start over and get a compleat whole new motor.

But if your considering turboing your car you should plan on atleast spending around 3k for everything and a tune so good luck

Ok Vtec and boost go boom???? Are you kidding me dude The vtec motors are alot stronger and Whoever has blown a vtec motor cause it "VTEC" means they had a s***ty tunner and didnt know what they are doing! Vtec motros are by far a better motor and make more power on the same amount of boost. Only thing nice about LS motors is the tq that they produce but my D16Z6 will walk a b18 up and down the track because it dosent produce a ton of Tq and that means I can keep traction the whole way. I have Both a B18b1 turbo, D16z6 turbo I much rather have the D16Z6 cause I dont spin tires with 440whp
i was talking about the cam timing on the B18C1. The valve overlap, intake and exhaust valves open at the same time, can lead to exhaust gasses reversion issues. Reversion occurs during valve overlap and exhaust gasses are drawn back into the cylinder. Obviously this is not a good thing when you are forcing an already hot, pressurized intake charge into the cylinder. It can lead to detonation and generally poor performance. Fortunately with the use of adjustable cam gears the overlap can be tuned out. i do agree that B18C, and all other VTEC motors, will put out more horsepower with less boost than a non-VTEC motor. generally though i thought the guy was asking about boosting stock.

hidenplanvew

Even so, If you have a good tuner its not a problem at all... I dont tune cars but my buddy who owns PFI here in Fort Collins is one of the best in CO and is world known for tuning cars and he has never once blown a motor because of the Vtec crossover. He is the one who made it possible for my D16 to hit 400+ on stock sleeves and vitara pistons and eagle rods running on E85. It was also the first D2B Set ups ever it runs so nice and hard you would never know its a sohc!