Vtec Problems

brandon209

Hey fellas im new to this whole Clubintegra and I have a problem that some of you experts may be able to help me out on. I just bought a 1994 J front teggy with a 1996 GSR swap. Fully stock just AEM intake. I noticed I didn't hear V-tec kick in and the car tacked out at I think 7.3 not 8k and didn't hear any v-tec I took cover off too look at the ecu and noticed it was writtin on saying Vtec @ 6k BUT I didn't hear nothing..... it has a P28 ecu. im totally baffled on what to do or where to began im sure you experts can help lead me into what I need to do. car runs like a champ just don't believe v-tech is engaging. ive owned other gsr-s and vtec kicked in at 5.5 all the time perfectly and loud. What do I do fellas im stuck !

Nick_C78

Any check engine lights? Certain CEL codes cause vtec not to engage. Also, make sure its plugged in. Check your oil level as well.

brandon209

Oil level is fine. checked that first thing. no CEL the CEL of course goes on just befor turning to start the car then goes away. It has a p28 ecu and on the ecu it says Vtec @ 6k rpms but it tachs out at about 7.2 or lil higher not fully to 8rpms. im so lost. just got the car idle fine runs fine just don't hear v-tec and tachs out way befor 8k rpm's

brandon209

It is a 94 with a 96gsr swap im sure the p28 ecu is fine for the car.

brandon209

also its not just the v-tech its taching out around 7.2-7.4 not 8 - 8.2 don't know what that's happening either but no v-tech as ive stated. im stuck...

Noneed2Hate

Are you absolutely sure you even have a GSR engine? :p Did the previous owner ever have it working like it should?

Last edited:

brandon209

totally sure bro not my first actually my 4th gsr. lol just baffled on why its taching out so early with no vetch. its a 94 teggy with a 1996 gsr swap full swap. just baffled on the vetch no engaging or if it is its very low sounding almost like its just all intake sound not like my previous gsr's

brandon209

b18c1 , gsr tranny , out of a 1996 teggy with 90k motor is imacculate just don't know why its taking out so early , and not engaging v-tech no CEL at all light isn't out on the CEL all runs fine idle fine everything just not letting me take it to 8-8.2 with no v-tech engagement.

brandon209

I don't know if its the p28 ecu cause it said on the ecu writtin on "Vtech @ 6k" and I don't hear nothing

phatintegra

Banned
The P72 control the primary and secondary butterflies on the GSR motor. I would swap the P28 for a P72 ECU first then report back.

P28 is for SOHC not DOHC. I think you can run a P28 but it need to be chipped and tuned with the right software.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Yeah, the p28 would work if you swapped intake manifolds, but is probably hurting you with the butterflies.

Also, what cluster is in your car? It might be an LS cluster which explains the early taching out. Or...it was tuned and the tuner set it there for some reason. Another thing to consider is the stock p28 redline... get the correct p72 ecu and see if that solves everything. Make sure all the gsr sensors are plugged in too. Gsr has more than others.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I would like to see the administrator of this website ban the word much like they ban profanity.