What does this pump do?

hwyhogg

Mine is 1991. There is a pump of some sort on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It is mounted below the battery. I can't tell where the hoses go to yet, will have to take the battery out and the air intake. Not sure what this part does, but it makes a noise every couple of seconds when the vehicle is moving. It doesn't get any louder or worse as speed increases. It stops when the vehicle comes to a stop. It's the same noise whether it's in gear or vehicle is coasting. Anyone know what it's called?
thanks,
James

Last edited:

hgocasca

level 77 troll
If its a gs, that'd be your Abs pump. Pull the fuse, or pull your e brake up a click or two and drive, eventually your Abs light will come on and the noise should stop and you can let the brake down. I'd just do the fuse though.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
If its a gs, that'd be your Abs pump. Pull the fuse, or pull your e brake up a click or two and drive, eventually your Abs light will come on and the noise should stop and you can let the brake down. I'd just do the fuse though.
he said below the battery. ABS pump is up by the intake manifold

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Lol duh, should've read closer. Wtf pump would be there? I can't even think what that would be besides Abs

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Lol duh, should've read closer. Wtf pump would be there? I can't even think what that would be besides Abs
I think he's talking about that thing thats next to the ball looking thing lol

I obviously dont know what I'm talking about either lol to the car!!!

oemda

Hahaha, i've never seen that before. Im curious now. Anyone?

It's part of the ABS system. It means about $1000+ to fix it when it goes bad. lol

I borrowed this explanation because I couldn't explain it as clear as I wanted to.
"The ABS accumulator gathers up pressure and preserves it until it needs to be used. Once an emergency situation occurs, the pressure will be taken from the ABS accumulator in order to pump the brakes for you. It’s important to make sure that the ABS accumulator is always working or else your Anti-Lock Brake System will not be able to work properly when necessary." -CarTechAutoparts.com

Last edited: