What Helmets Do You Recommend?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I know in my area the scca holds a lot of events. There's one on the 11th in the parking lot of a horse track.
As far as motorcycle helmets go, I have that covered. Two Vega helmets and a shoei helmet I was just under the impression that it had to be a specific motor sport rated helmet.
You most likely just need to be sure the standards on the helmet meet the standards required by the function you are attending. To touch on things said.. two helmets can pass a standard set by an agency but one can exceed the other by many levels and that is why some companies carry the reputation and price that they do. I think matt already mentioned one benefit of one designed for automobile racing as opposed to motorcycles.

Last edited:

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Motorcycle Helmets -> Skidding on your head and high impacts.

Car Helmets -> Fire retardent? Something about melting.

Plus on my helmet you can see there's a place for a hose to be attached to, for airflow. Motorcycle helmets don't need that, because obvious reasons.

Nick_C78

If I am not mistaken automobile helmets also allow for more of a peripheral because they have a wider visor. The reason for this is because when you are strapped in to a car with a bunch of safety features, you can't really turn your head. Unlike on a motorcycle where you have a full range of motion.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I know in my area the scca holds a lot of events. There's one on the 11th in the parking lot of a horse track.
As far as motorcycle helmets go, I have that covered. Two Vega helmets and a shoei helmet I was just under the impression that it had to be a specific motor sport rated helmet.
scca solo2 is snell or dot most helmets are snell/dot rated

Snell approved is what you need
this

Motorcycle Helmets -> Skidding on your head and high impacts.

Car Helmets -> Fire retardent? Something about melting.

Plus on my helmet you can see there's a place for a hose to be attached to, for airflow. Motorcycle helmets don't need that, because obvious reasons.
oh hey i just said that

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
If I am not mistaken automobile helmets also allow for more of a peripheral because they have a wider visor. The reason for this is because when you are strapped in to a car with a bunch of safety features, you can't really turn your head. Unlike on a motorcycle where you have a full range of motion.
That's actually an interesting thought

drevans_satx

Dylan
Okay...from what I gather and what I've read on the SASCA website, and the Solo II Novice Handbook I just need a Snell and DOT aproved helmet

"Safety Helmet: If you bring your own safety helmet, it must be approved by Snell in the current or two most recent ratings (e.g. if Snell 95 is in production then that, 90 and 85 are legal). The club provides loaner helmets for people who do not have one."

With that being said these are my helmet choices right now. I thought I had one more, but it seems my father reclaimed it, but it's modular, so no good anyway.

The far left is a Vega helmet, which I'd really like to use due to already owning it, sentimental value, and the sweet mirrored tinted visor, the two white middle ones are HJC which a few members here use(?) and the last three are unknown, but they're death traps anyway.

Nick_C78

A lot of people like open face. Personally I prefer fullface. And when I recommended HJC, I was referring to their fullface models :p

drevans_satx

Dylan
What's the year on the Snell rating? The black one is cool, kinda looks like mine
The Vega (far left maroon color) also the one i want to use, is DOT and Snell M2000 rated.
Which black one? The only blacks are the skullcrushers, or I think that's what they're called.
The full face on the far left is Maroon colored. One of the skullcrushers is carbon fiber printed, not real carbon, but a perfect match for the ITR carbon...if only it was full face...

drevans_satx

Dylan
A lot of people like open face. Personally I prefer fullface. And when I recommended HJC, I was referring to their fullface models :p
I didn't even realize I had an HJC helmet, let alone two. I was actually looking for the Shoei modular and stumbled across them in the stuff my father stored here.