What's this black box?

SteadyRollin

So while i was doing some wiring today, i noticed a black box underneath the dash by the fuse box. im thinking its some kind of factory alarm/dealer option. There arent any labels on it, just some weird nobby thingy. When i got the car, i didnt get any remotes with it and i dont see any sirens in the engine bay either so im not too sure what it is. Dont wanna mess with it unless i know what it is. If it is an alarm, is there a way i can have a remote programmed to it and are these alarms even worth it?

Looks like an alarm to me.. Try to rotate that white button around and if it rotates then it has to be an alarm where you can adjust the shock sensitivity

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
I touched the body thing and the light comes on for a little then it turns off :O weirddddd....

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
The knobby thing rotates and is connected to a bigger box. I'm sure its an alarm. Just gotta know if I can reprogram it?

Ganyon

The little boxis a shock sensor. Look on the big box and there should be a ladel saying what it is. My old alarm said clearly: python 880xp. Then just buy the remote for said unit and program it.

cvcrcr99

That little switch thing looks like it should go under the hood. If someone opens the hood, that button goes up (since the hood it pushes it down), and the alarm will sound.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Looks like a DEI (Directed) alarm.
I guess the mystery box is the shock sensor. I thought of that but that white piece looks more like a button than a knob to me. If it's a knob, it would be to adjust the sensetivity. The red light will come on when it detects a shock/vibration, that's normal.
That pin switch doesn't look like anything I've ever seen DEI make. Usually used as a hood pin, maybe they just stuffed it under the dash because they didn't feel like mounting it in the engine bay, but then, why put it in the car at all when you can just unplug it from the brain, the alarm will still work without it, weird.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
im looking all over the box, but im not coming up with a brand name on it.. it has something that says fcc id on it. Does that help at all?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The FCC thing is useless.
You can likely program a remote to the brain and see if things work. DEI's remote's will work across all their name brands...you can program an Avital remote to a Python brain, a Viper remote to a Sidewinder brain, ect, ect. There's 4 button DEI remotes on Ebay right now for as little as $10 shipped. Could be a small price to pay to have yourself an alarm system you never knew you had, heh. I have one of THESE Viper remotes that just happened to be on the keychain of a used car (that had no alarm) I bought a few years ago, I programmed to my newer Avital alarm/remote start system.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Thats awesomes. Thanks for all of your help. Is there any articles or anything on how to reprogram car alarms?