Will Type r cams help much?

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
So will droping in some type R cams help or even do much in my gsr, i dont have really anything as far as motor goes. And will I need to upgrade anything else or can i literally just drop them in without messing with cam gears and valve train, trust me I'd like to however can't afford it right now. My list of mods now is Apexi N1, high flow cat, AEM V2, Venom 400, and ACT stage 2. So i'm not exactly stock but not highly modified. Any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated =]

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
'Dropping them in' will do nothing but make you run lean in all likelihood. You'd need to get the car tuned on a system like Hondata or AEM EMS. Also, upgrading the valvetrain is a good idea because those cams operate at their maximum in a higher RPM range than the stock GSR cams. The GSR valvetrain won't like being revved as high as the Type R cams desire.

You can't use that Venom 400 POS to tune the car properly BTW.

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
Yeah i know, the venom doesnt really do anything. I wasnt going to use it to tune, I would probably go with the hondata s100. A lot of people say the venom does absolutly nothing but i do feel some sort of gain when I turn it on but either way i already have it lol but yeah I can buy the cams for 100 so I'll probably do that and then just hold off on putting them in until i get the money to get the rest of the stuff to make it actually right.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
$100 for ITR cams is a fantastic price, as long as their not damaged.
Type R cams can continue to make power past the 8K redline of a GSR, but you can safely use ITR's with the stock GSR valvetrain if your not going to rev past 8K, but for going past 8K you need to get ITR intake valvesprings. GSR intake valvesprings = ITR exhaust valvesprings, so you can move the GSR intake springs over to the exhaust side and rev to 8,400 safely that way.
Also, to fully tune the ITR cams properly, you need some adjustable cams gears, along with a tuning system like Hondata.

So get some ITR intake valvesprings, aftermarket cam gears and a tuning system, and you'll be able to install the cams safely and properly and get the most out of them.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
if you can find a cheap s100, the n you can upgrade up to s200 for only 200 bucks, its normally around 400 i think

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
Damn well I def dont wanna fuck anything up so i'm gonna pick up these type r cams for 100, (as long as nothing is wrong with them) and then just keep them untill i get the money for all the other stuff. How much power gain will I get probably? Will it even be really noticable or worth it?

jznsn2u

^ sounds like a good plan crussell. Keep them for now and think of them as an investment. @ your power Q, only after a tune, you shall know your answer. But imo yes you'll notice it. check out this thread that tegsox posted on camshaft specs which is really important to know when you tune it,

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=9300

(im just showing you there's a big lobe difference between a gsr & type r)

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
The Type R cams don't suit the GSR head and intake manifold design. I think you should resell those Type R cams for a profit and use the money for some decent aftermarket GSR cams.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if you can find a cheap s100, the n you can upgrade up to s200 for only 200 bucks, its normally around 400 i think
they dont make s200 anymore

Damn well I def dont wanna fuck anything up so i'm gonna pick up these type r cams for 100, (as long as nothing is wrong with them) and then just keep them untill i get the money for all the other stuff. How much power gain will I get probably? Will it even be really noticable or worth it?
i dont think its worth it when you take into consideration the ecu modifications and dyno tuning

The Type R cams don't suit the GSR head and intake manifold design. I think you should resell those Type R cams for a profit and use the money for some decent aftermarket GSR cams.
:haha:
wtf
its the same as saying b16 cams arent right for a gsr. they were meant for that particular head. i know that the gsr head is more geared toward FI by design while the b16 is more NA.

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
Yeah I'm sure its for the whole set, my friend just bought a civic with a full type R swap and the guy dropped some toda cams in there and so he has the ITR cams just laying around (came w/ the car) and he said he'll give them to me for 100 bucks.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
500 year later bump. Just wanted to say that I put some JDM ITR cams in my JDM B18C (p72 head, so its the equivalent to our GS-R) I also installed a Skunk2 Intake Manifold to get rid of that dual runner garbage. With Hondata s300 and, currently, a stock Type-R basemap, this motor pulls REALLY hard, now. It's being tuned on Thursday, and with the rest of the work I put in, Chris Miller (if you don't know who he is, you don't know tuners...) says I can expect, after a good tune, around 185whp.

This cam/manifold swap really woke up this motor up. No butt dyno estimations, but this thing pulls a LOT harder than a normal GS-R.