b16 or b18?

buy the cheaper b16 or get the gsr?

• Total voters

k624ash

noyans is 100 dollars cheaper than hmotors. since the price is so close, whats the more reliable company?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
iNOhc said:
so if what you're saying is confirmed.. that mean's i'd have a type r motor by swaping the head of my GSR with an 2000 Si b16?
more or less... Not exactly a type R, but close enough.

k624ash

iNOhc said:
so if what you're saying is confirmed.. that mean's i'd have a type r motor by swaping the head of my GSR with an 2000 Si b16?
you would also need the all the intenals, pisons, cams, rods, crank, valve train, all that sorta stuff. I dont know if any of it is the same, im not that familiar with it.

but the gsr bare block and the b16 bare head are the same. its the parts inside that are different.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
k624ash said:
you would also need the all the intenals, pisons, cams, rods, crank, valve train, all that sorta stuff. I dont know if any of it is the same, im not that familiar with it.

but the gsr bare block and the b16 bare head are the same. its the parts inside that are different.
All b series parts are interchangeable

k624ash

Kuchtaboy said:
All b series parts are interchangeable
right, i just didnt know if the type r has any of the same parts as they gsr or b16, like maybe you wouldnt have to replace all the parts in the b16 head to make it a true type r head.
but if you were to replace those parts anyway, you could get better ones than the type r

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
:thumbs up

okay, I wasn't sure what you were saying. Good info in this thread for people who don't know btw! Keep it comming!

Sirfallsalot243

Type R specs:

Block: The block is almost identical as the B18C1 block. It shares many of the same qualities, but with a bit more bracing. On the inside are different pistons that yeild a higher compression ratio. The rods are lighter, and the crank is heavier. The crank is heavier to make it more stable under high load and high RPM conditions. On the outside is a different clutch and flywheel.

Head: The head is an exact casting of the B16 head. This is (rumored) to be because Honda made too many of the B16 heads, and decided to use that. Whatever the reasoning, both heads are stamped PR3. But this is where the similarities end. The ITR head is hand ported and polished, and has lighter valves to put less strain on the upgraded valvesprings that come in it. It also has larger lift cams, as many of you know. The ITR head also has a better intake manifold and a larger throttle body.

While the B16 and ITR heads do share the same castings, slapping a B16 head on a GSR block will not get you any horsepower. As I already stated, this would simply move the powerband up, due to the single stage intake manifold, versus the GSR's dual stage. You would also need to bump the compression a bit- be it pistons, head milling, or a thinner head gasket. The returns are not worth the $500 investment. Your money would be better spent on a Rage 4-2-1 Tri-Y header. A true poormans Type-R would be a ported B16 head on a B18C1 block, with all ITR internals.

1991TeGgY Ls

i have an si...and like someone said....unless u have a civic or a G1 or even G2 u should not swap that into a 94 and up generation teg.... u wont feeel nething..

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
The only reason I'd put a B16 in a 2nd gen is cause of the whole "XSi JDM" theme cause I'm hard core JDM like that y0! lol

again, "there's no replacement for displacement"

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
This is what I would do, buy the B16.

Save your money and do the turbo. Then wait for some dumbass to do an LS/Vtec, most of the time those blocks end up in a dumpster. Main reason I hate LS/Vtec. Then you will have a B18C with a B16 head, basically a ITR engine. Build that B18C block drop it in. So you will still enjoy your turbo, the whole time. Best part is, when the boost bug gets you. Your build bottom will be ready to handle it, just dont forget the head studs.