Cpeehler7 Build/Race Thread

cpeehler7

Banned
Minor update...
Since the last race, I decided to just run my BFG Comp-2s through the season....well after about a week since the race, I've decided F**k those tires, sell them on craigslist and get some ZIIs. So I'm going to get a set of 205/50/R15 Dunlop Direzza ZIIs. Link bellow
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII

Also besides that, I'm going to be tossing my nearly brand new Skunk2 Pro-S II coils for a set of Koni/GC. They're the set that the guy helping me build my car used to run. He said he has a whole bunch of different springs for it, so we'll see what works best on my car. All said and done, I should be able to break even on the deal easily, my skunks are in mint shape, less than 1000 miles on them. His coils are old, but with great shocks in them, so they should work a bit better on the track.

That said, if anyone is looking for skunks, feel free to PM me whenever. I'll make a legit sale thread once I get them off my car with the card and everything.

I figure I could probably get a $250+ for my BFG comp-2s. They're like $325 new on tire rack plus shipping, so 90%+ tread on them, they should sell quickly.

Anyway, not much else to update. Once I get the new rubber on my car I should be a good bit faster. Get around the corners quicker, and hopefully maintain enough speed to stay within Vtec in the hard corners. That was one of my major issues, I was doing about 3200RPM coming out of the near hairpin corner on the track, once I got back on the gas I had no power. Downshifting didn't really help much either, too much to fuss with as a new driver, ended up losing time.

Also other good news, turns out the GSR is actually an STC, not STX car. So I've been racing a class up. My PAX score would have been a bit lower, probably 3rd or 4th place roughly. No need to go back and do the math, it doesn't really matter, just good to know for next month. With new tires though, should be able to scoop up the win hah.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Why would you get rid of those new coilovers for a used spring/strut setup.

You also know you're not driving your car at its limits yet you want to upgrade it to go faster. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for upgrades, but if you're trying to be competitive in autocross it'll hurt more than help.

Last edited:

cpeehler7

Banned
Well the Konis should be better. The shocks are newer, and the springs are new. He has a whole bunch of them in his shop, adjustable everything. Right now though the major limitation is my tires. The only thing I need to focus on driver wise, is entering corners smarter. Other than that the guy who's helping me get the car setup said I'm doing real well. I'm faster in my car than he is, because he drives real aggressive, which doesn't work on my tires. But all said and done, new tires should cost $200. The Koni setup, I should profit on.

One of the biggest issues with my current coils is that they are what they are. Only height adjustable. Getting adjustable damping would be nice, especially with a guy who has raced with the setup helping me out.

Last edited:

OneFastGSR

Both are nice suspension setups, I have Pro-S II on civic and koni yellow/gc on my integra. I've never got to properly setup the suspension on my integra because it's been motor problem after problem so I havn't got to test them really. I've loved the skunk2's though. If I were in your boat I'd probably keep the skunk2's instead of sell them and have 2 sets. Unless you have something you'd like to purchase really soon with the money from the coils...

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Wow I didn't know the skunks didn't have damper adjustment. That's funny how they label something "pro" with only height adjustment : lol

cpeehler7

Banned
The pro S II don't have damping the C do. I didn't have the money for them at the time. But the plan is to try both sets of spring out and which ever I like more I'll keep. I can turn a profit on it either way most likely. I'll add more to this later, Im on my phone now. Pretty brief.

R13

The other asshole
I think OG had those at one point and that's a big reason he's a skunk nazi :lol:

cpeehler7

Banned
Okay, back with a real keyboard! Yeah, the skunk2s compared to what I was running are great. They feel fantastic, but the main issue is tuning your car via tire pressure at an event haha. To get the car more tail happy we had to just pump the rear tires up, it did work though. Now the setup should be a bit better, well in a couple weeks when I go pick it up. If not, I can sell it on craigslist for what I paid for it. I got a solid deal on it, it's worth a try.

But I'm in no way disappointed with the skunks, for someone who wants to occasionally track their car, they're perfect. The car is pretty stiff in general, my only complaint is that even at the highest setting they are very low. Low enough to have to put some negative camber on the rear to stop rubbing in hard corners.

I figure I could just knock like $100 off of retail to sell them, they have like 1000 miles on them. The only thing "wrong" with them are some greasy finger prints haha. Other than that they're like new. I still have the boxes and everything too.

I don't know what spring rates I'll be getting yet. He has a bunch of them, and it's his old racecar's setup, so I'll let him beat my car a bit and let him make a call on that. I'll let you know when I pick them up, but as of now it's still undecided. The main reason I'm considering tossing my skunks is that I'll probably be able to make a few bucks off the deal. So I really have no skin in the game cost wise, and I have a chance of getting a better suspension setup. I didn't get coils with damping, because I didn't want to worry about that when I was learning how to race, but everyone at my local SCCA races are real cool. They're real helpful, so I'm getting good advice on how to set my car up from them. It's just funny that half a year ago I was on here and didn't know hardly anything about suspensions haha. It's sort of funny that I've learned so much for free doing this, but I spent like $20,000 for a college degree learning just about nothing :lol:

Anyway, one strange problem I'm having with my brakes. Probably obvious to you guys, but just annoying for me. They work fine, but when I just barely hold the brake pads at low speed, they squeal like the pads are worn out. Everything is new, rotors pads calipers. It's the front left,and it only happens when I lightly brake, say gently stopping at a red light. It's probably an easy fix, but when you google brake squeal, it's usually just idiots riding with no brake pads left. So any help would be great!

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
I don't think your tires are limiting most of your gains, but the stickier the better.

You have to account for the compound of the rubber the tires are made of.

I think you should focus more on your suspension geometry, aero, corner balancing, and rigidity.

The tires you had would've been fine to just thrash on until you and your car are more refined.

cpeehler7

Banned
I don't think your tires are limiting most of your gains, but the stickier the better.

You have to account for the compound of the rubber the tires are made of.

I think you should focus more on your suspension geometry, aero, corner balancing, and rigidity.

The tires you had would've been fine to just thrash on until you and your car are more refined.
Yeah you're really right, they are fine for now. I just would like to get the better tires within my class honestly. It'll cost me like $250, which isn't too much considering I've picked up a few shifts. So the money isn't a huge problem. The suspension right now is great, minus the whole not being able to adjust damping on it. But that said, the guy helping me set the car up, hates my tires and has a hard time driving it. When you try to turn in hard, they just don't respond, they just make a LOT of noise.

So ironically I'm faster in my car than he is in it, mainly because he tries to drive like there are hoosiers on it, and the tires just don't work that way at all. So not only will they be wider/stickier tires, he has run on them before, and will probably be better able to help make adjustments to my car.

@Aussie, I was afraid that was the problem. After I switched calipers, I couldn't find my red slime brake grease, so I just tried to spread the stuff on there a little thin... I guess I failed at that. I'll have to find it and grease them up today. Thanks.

Man, maybe I can borrow a friends GoPro for a race, not just for the "cool" factor, but to legitimately get advice on my runs haha. That would probably be worth the money.

zack11122

It sounds like your friend is setting your car up better to his liking. That will make you slower if it's set to him not you.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Well tires are the best thing for performance. Honestly I wouldn't want to race on all seasons either, not in a fwd, there's just too much going against them.

Aero stuff is pointless in autocross until you get into the mod classes, and with your new suspension you'll have most of what you need.

cpeehler7

Banned
It sounds like your friend is setting your car up better to his liking. That will make you slower if it's set to him not you.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Basically he's getting me to where he thinks it will be fastest, and letting me tweak it from there. For example, he likes his car to be more ass happy than I do. So after a few runs on his setup I tweaked the tire pressure to reel the back end in a little bit more. But yes I do agree with you, we drive a bit different. I try to drive as smooth as possible, while he tries to muscle the car around more. Which makes sense on a manual rack with oversized hoosiers in front.

I've been having him help me set the car up, and have been asking another one of the Pro guys help me get setup for STC. He runs an old Civic Si wagon in STC, and is seriously quick. Even better yet, he used to run Integras, so he knows all about my car, and has been helping me build it to the limits of the class rules. Tons of real helpful guys at the solo events, more than I expected for sure. You kind of get used to the facebook car guys, who just take a huge dump on everything that isn't their car, and call everything gay constantly hahaha.

And yes, Aero upgrades are not allowed in ST classes. Unless it's a manufacture part, ie. putting a GSR spoiler back onto my car, which wouldn't help at all...and it's still on there :p

Basically after the new tires, and the Koni's I'll just run the rest of the season without any upgrades. The only labor that'll need to be done is anything that breaks or that I know is worn out. There is a lot less of that now thankfully! Next season I might get a set of 15x7.5 wheels and wider tires. Possible do the I/H/E upgrades as well, but I don't need the extra ~25hp this season. It would help a bit, but I don't need to drop all that money to run like .25 of a second quicker.