Cpeehler7 Build/Race Thread

96LSteg

Jemel
I get what your saying. But your talking about apples to oranges with the GSR and ITR.

Now, shorter gear ratio would be the best option, and I think we can swap an ITR tranny without bumping us out of stock class. But don't quote me on that
You could always keep the stock case and just swap internals? is that legal?

Nick_C78

How am I talking about apples and oranges? I said that the gsr subframe isn't strong enough to run the itr bar, which is 22mm, which is also the thickness of the bar he is using... Sounds like apples with apples to me.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
oops, I thought I removed that comment. I was editing a lot of typing, and forgot to remove that.

cpeehler7

Banned
You could always keep the stock case and just swap internals? is that legal?
I could easily do that. No one would ever know, but I'm doing well/winning novice class now in STC with an under prepared car. I'll stick to winning within class rules. When I was redoing my exhaust system, I had a High flow cat lying around that would have fit my car, but I'd like to win with a clean conscience, if that makes sense lol. Sort of sucks, because the stock Cat is pretty restrictive. Definitely the bottleneck in the exhaust system. The car is noticeably quicker with the exhaust and 4-2-1 header though. Mainly at 4000-6000 rpm.

I believe Type R parts aren't allowed on a GSR strictly because the Type R is a higher class. I'm pretty sure if I did put them into my car it would bump me to STX from STC.

The rules at autocross are that if someone protests your car, they have to pay to put it back together. That only really happens at the national level, so I could easily run a high flow cat, and Type R transmission internals. Hell I could probably upgrade the cams without anyone knowing too. But what's the fun in cheating haha? I've seen quite a few people with mods that just slightly bump them out of class and they ignore it. Lots of guys remove their back seats, or have a custom exhaust on their "stock" class car. No one really cares at a local level...hell some guys tossed Hoosiers on their E stock car half way through an event without changing class at my 2nd race. All they did was tape an R for race comp on the side of their car lol.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
when you say, ITR parts are not allowed on a GSR. You mean internals...yes? But suspension is ok...yes?

Nick_C78

Autocross rules sound retarded.... OEM parts should be 100% interchangeable. Otherwise it just opens the door to cars that cost more from the factory.

cpeehler7

Banned
Autocross rules sound retarded.... OEM parts should be 100% interchangeable. Otherwise it just opens the door to cars that cost more from the factory.
Well basically the stock classes are A-H, so the idea is that you can have a Corvette Z06 racing against a Mini Cooper Base with a modifier.

http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2014.html

Basically in that link, there are names of classes, A- .833. So you just multiply the raw time by that, and you get a PAX score. Overall standings are ranked by PAX, that way everyone can compete with each other.

The reason ITR and GSR parts aren't interchangeable is because the Type R is D class and the GSR is G class. So you'd basically be sneaking a D class car into G. Or in my case, I race Street touring, so an STX car into STC.

The rules are pretty dumb in some cases. For example, the no subframe reinforcement rule... that is real dumb. I would buy a brace tonight if I was allowed to run it, the money isn't the issue. But the PAX index is a pretty fun way to compare your times with others racing totally different cars.

cpeehler7

Banned
when you say, ITR parts are not allowed on a GSR. You mean internals...yes? But suspension is ok...yes?
I guess it depends on the class. If you're in street touring, you can do whatever you want to your suspension (but subframe reinforcement). So yeah, you can. In stock class I believe you have to stay totally stock.

alexdesignz

I guess it depends on the class. If you're in street touring, you can do whatever you want to your suspension (but subframe reinforcement). So yeah, you can. In stock class I believe you have to stay totally stock.
In ST, limited chassis reinforcing is allowed.
Here's the rule, first of all the definition of Strut bar from Section 12:

Quote:

12.18 STRUT BAR
A transverse member connecting the upper or lower suspension mounting
points at the front or rear of the car. Strut bars may be mounted only
transversely across the car from upper left to upper right suspension
mounting point and from lower left to lower right suspension mounting point. A two-point strut bar fastens only at the left and right suspension
pointing points. A triangulated strut bar has a third area of attachment
at the chassis (e.g., at the firewall/bulkhead). All connections to the vehicle
must be bolted. No connection point to the chassis can be welded.

(Transverse= left to right)

14.2 Street Touring, Bodywork
Quote:
G. Strut bars per Section 12 are permitted with all types of suspension,
subject to the following constraints:
1. a 2-point strut bar may be added, removed, modified, or substituted,
but only with another 2-point strut bar.
2. A triangulated (3-point) strut bar may be removed, modified, or
substituted; substitution may be with either a triangulated or a
2-point strut bar. The connection to the chassis (i.e., firewall, bulkhead,
etc) must be in the standard location.
3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension
pickup point locations on the chassis within 2" (50.8mm) in
any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis.
4. Except for standard parts, no connections to other components
are permitted.

Nick_C78

Are there actual tracks where you are at or do you just prefer the shortness and agility of the autocross set ups?

cpeehler7

Banned
Are there actual tracks where you are at or do you just prefer the shortness and agility of the autocross set ups?
I'm moderately close to Watkins Glen, but I'm trying to pay off my student loans in the next 2 years. So I can't really afford to race up there. It's like $350 a day or something like that. Also if you go off, there's a chance you'll end up in the wall haha. I like that autocross is so cheap and safe. Great way to get wheel time without spending a fortune.

One race costs me $35 for the afternoon, and if I spin, the only thing I can hit are cones. So there is no chance of me being out of a car, with no way to get to work the next day. I am making decent cash now, but I'm putting about $800 a month onto my student loans so they're gone within a year of graduating. Sucks, but getting out of debt is unfortunately more important than racing.

If I didn't have loans, I'd either be a the Glen, or be building a rally car... That will have to wait sadly lol.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I've been to the glen, I don't blame you for not wanting to take your only car there. Walls everywhere, it's nerve-wracking to really push it, especially since it's such a high speed course.

cpeehler7

Banned
I've been to the glen, I don't blame you for not wanting to take your only car there. Walls everywhere, it's nerve-wracking to really push it, especially since it's such a high speed course.
Yeah, it just makes no financial sense for me at this point. I'm finally making some real money now that I got a promotion at UPS, but not enough money to replace a car... I have $20,000 in student loans, so I figure if I put $200 a week onto them I'll be out of debt when I'm 23.

I feel like road racing is a totally different animal too. I rarely push my car on the street, but even when I do I never get close to the limit. When I'm autocrossing I know there is nothing to hit. So I just end up laughing if I spin out lol. I feel like the hardest part about racing on the track is the mental aspect. I mean after a long day at novice school I brought my times down almost on pace with national level guys. I don't think I could do that on a real track :roll: