Cpeehler7 Build/Race Thread

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You may need new tires by the end of the season lol. I got 3-4 weekends plus miles in between on my Michelin Super Sports. From now on I'll just have a dedicated set of race wheels with tires. No sense in running down expensive soft rubber to go get groceries.

cpeehler7

Banned
You may need new tires by the end of the season lol. I got 3-4 weekends plus miles in between on my Michelin Super Sports. From now on I'll just have a dedicated set of race wheels with tires. No sense in running down expensive soft rubber to go get groceries.
I have heard the ZIIs have very good treadwear surprisingly. A lot of guys use them as DD. The BGF Rivals and one of the Potenzas that I can't remember the name of have bad tirewear. But a lot of guys get about 20,000 miles out of the ZIIs, maybe closer to 15,0000 with heavy tracking. They really should be about the same as my Comp-2s.

That said, next year I do plan on getting some dedicated wheels for racing. I can run 15x7.5 wheels on my car, so I'll probably get a set of these... which are the wheels that a lot of the STC civics and miatas run. I think I can run 225/50/R15s on them. Maybe even a little wider, but I'd have to roll my fenders and everything to get anything wider than that to fit on my car. That's a little ahead of the game for me right now, no need to do that yet.

http://949racing.com/15x7-6ul-silver.aspx

That's not the right wheels, but the 7.5" are out of stock with no pictures.

I think I'm going to get a set of ZIIs this week, then just run them for a year. If they're worn out, oh well, by then I'll have a job that pays a lot more than I'm making now. The main reason I want to get ZIIs is a "gift" to myself for getting a promotion. On top of that, I've finished paying my union dues at UPS, so that's $25 a week extra in my check until I get a few dollar an hour raise. Should be making the same amount of money working 30 hours a week as I was doing 50 at two jobs before.

Then once I get the car finished, it's back to putting $200 a week away for my student loans. I want those gone in less than 3 years. I have to fight the racecar urges and be responsible with my money hahah. I'm sure plenty of guys here have struggled with that as well...

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Yes, being responsible sucks donkey balls :lol:

Definitely will be following this thread, as I am going to sign up for autox next month. Keep it up and be safe

cpeehler7

Banned
Curious to what spring rates your guy is going to recommend for you. I've got 550/440 on my integra
Hey, do you have the 550F/440R? From what I've heard from the guys who race civics and integras it's best to have heavier rear than front. It's harder to get used to, but once you learn to control the oversteer it's a faster setup. On stock Koni Yellow setup, not revalved 400-450F/500R is the setup the fastest guys are running. Also I've heard 600 is the max you should run on stock konis, any higher and it could blow a shock.

The ZIIs are mounted, and have a lot more grip and response than I expected haha. The Koni setup isn't done yet. Needed a few small parts to get the setup finished. Will be on before the race Sunday.

The race should either be a huge success, or a massive flop trying to get used to the new setup hahah. I'm expecting it to be faster, but as of right now, my car is very easy to drive. With the heavier rear end, and stickier tires, it might be a bit harder to get used to, but no sense worrying about it now. Should be a lot of fun learning how to drive the car all over again.

cpeehler7

Banned
Alright, back again. So I raced this past Sunday, I didn't have time to finish the Koni setup, missing some parts still, but I did get the ZIIs on my car. It was very wet, out there, but I pulled off a win by a bit over half a second. The car felt bad, super pushy, I didn't crank the rear PSI up at all, so it wasn't ass happy at all. I'm looking to get that Koni setup, and a new rear sway bar before next event though.

Anyway here is a picture of the novice category from yesterday.

[/URL][/IMG]

The 70s lap time was actually pretty funny... There was a cone down in the slalom, so I hit the brakes to stop for a rerun, spun the car and somehow pointed right at the cone. Was very dramatic, but they apparently screwed up, and didn't count it as a rerun, which is why i have that 999 at the end. Strangely enough, it was more wet in the morning than the afternoon, I just drove like crap later in the day. Kind of wanted to get it over with, I was sick of being drenched hahah. But I went a lot slower when it dried up, it was pretty strange. Still had 3 class winning runs considering my PAX times. The AS guys would have had to beat me by about .3s to out PAX me.

Hopefully it is dry for the next race, the wet was fun for the first few runs, but it was really just a massive pain in the ass hahah. Obviously glad that I won, but still kind of angry at how poorly I drove. Two corners I just blew through with understeer every single lap, not sure if it was just me, or if the car was just incredibly pushy.

(BTW the 999.99 was the driest run of the day, and I only put down about a 35.05.) also for the record, 2nd place was a 2004(6) Corvette Z06, and 3rd was a 2015 STI.

Last edited:

cpeehler7

Banned
Back after a while away. Did a bit of work the the car, unfortunately, none of the good stuff... Was going to get some Koni's on, but the spring perches were on back order. So I ended up tossing a shitty OBX header on the car after my stock doughnut gasket went out. Ended up running some shit OBX header into the stock cat (have to keep it stock for STC), and put a slightly modified Yonaka catback in there. Sounds a lot better, probably not much faster. Seems a little quicker in the 4000-5000 area which is good for autocross.

I do have a nice 22.4" progress sway bar for the rear, just was missing some bolts and didn't have the time to get it setup right. Which sucked because I could have used that stiffer rear end at my race today. Kind of sucked, placed 4th in novice from 1st last event, but the good news is, I had a gopro this time. So this thread is a lot less boring now! There were a few spots in the video where I wondered wtf I was doing, but overall my fast run was pretty clean. Needed to push a bit harder in some areas, and which I had a bit less understeer, but it is what it is.

Well here is a video of my best time, and my worst, most fun / cone eatiest lap hahah. Give me some feedback, constructive criticism is welcome. That was my 4th autocross, so I know I need to learn a lot. I think my driving skill is a lot better than my driving intelligence... I don't think I take the smartest racing line just yet hah. And that last sweeper into the finish, I look like I entered so poorly on every run... Anyway, here are the links.

Fastest:
http://youtu.be/rYhqxQOZ6kc

Not so fast...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZPJYTXMQSk&feature=share

This course was brutal on my engine though, I felt like I was under 5500 rpm the whole time. I need to learn how to heel toe properly. The pedals on my GSR just feel so far away, on a Mini S I can do it no problem.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
the fast lap looked good. looks like you hit 2 cones on the not so fast lap lol

I was gonna do my first novice run last weekend, but when I checked my oil that morning, I saw coolant on the ground. Wasn't serious, but enough to not pass inspection. I got a new rad and stuff coming in and should be installed by next weekends event. I cant wait to get my ass on the track.

cpeehler7

Banned
the fast lap looked good. looks like you hit 2 cones on the not so fast lap lol

I was gonna do my first novice run last weekend, but when I checked my oil that morning, I saw coolant on the ground. Wasn't serious, but enough to not pass inspection. I got a new rad and stuff coming in and should be installed by next weekends event. I cant wait to get my ass on the track.
Haha, yeah I took 2 cones out, and then carried a 3rd when I slid through that hairpin. That lap was pretty fun, it was a lot more wet than my fastest lap. I really think I just need to get the swaybar and the Koni's on. That'll help me get through the corners quicker. I just feel like I'm fighting tons of understeer at this point, and I know the car has a lot more in it. Also I was thinking about getting some pedals that aren't miles apart, so I can downshift on some of the slower corners.

I'll just put that money toward more races now though. The GSR isn't a good autocross car in class sadly. So I don't need to dump too much into this one. The way the classes are setup, a Type R only has to beat me by about 0.15s on a normal course to have the same PAX score as me. That's with more power, less weight, LSD, allowance for wider wheels etc... So it's just never going to be a great car, but it's good fun for now. And is pretty competitive in my region. So I'll probably be racing it for a few more years until I can afford something a little more crazy, and preferably RWD.

Anyway, looking to maybe get more camber up front before next race. And get my Koni setup with the new rear swaybar in the back. That should give me more oversteer in those tight corners. Honestly though the car seemed to have the right amount of oversteer with my Comp 2s on there. The ZIIs hands down grip way better, but the car isn't setup for it yet. It feels worse, but is faster if that makes sense.

cpeehler7

Banned
Whats your setup now?
Not much has changed since I put the Yonaka on there. All I've done since then was put the new Progress 22.4mm swaybar on there. I was looking at the 24mm ASR, but for $50, I couldn't pass on the progress. The car definitely feels a whole lot stiffer in a good way. I won't know how it feels at the limit until Sunday, should be heading to an out of region event.

I have some pictures of the exhaust/swaybar setup I can probably toss those up tomorrow when I have some more time as well.

Also some good news on the racing front, unfortunately with no videos this time. I won the last WNY novice category by a small-ish margin. The frustrating part was, my fastest lap time my foot slipped off the brake pedal in the most important corner..... So I blew through that corner wide and slow, but it was extremely clean. On par with some of the better drivers at the event, felt great to drive well again. The video from last event makes me look like an awful driver in comparison. I plowed through understeer too much, was too timid with the wheel in certain areas, and took some awful lines.

I've had a little issue getting a hold of some ground control stuff to finish my Konis too. So that's probably not happening for this Solo season. I'm fine with that, I'm doing well enough on bad coilovers, a poor alignment, and unfinished camber hahah. Lots of work to be done on the car, I'll try to get some pictures of the crap I have done up soon.

Nick_C78

Strange that I have not seen this thread before. I will browse through it for more detail later and watch your videos. I just have a quick question that I didn't see through my skimming. What alignment setting are you running? Many people overlook alignment settings, but a good alignment will change the entire feel of the car.

cpeehler7

Banned
Strange that I have not seen this thread before. I will browse through it for more detail later and watch your videos. I just have a quick question that I didn't see through my skimming. What alignment setting are you running? Many people overlook alignment settings, but a good alignment will change the entire feel of the car.
The alignment on my car is kind of jacked up lol. It isn't finished yet at all. Since this is a DD as well as my race car, I plan on running no Toe up front, and maybe a hair in the back. That said, my rear toe adjustment is welded with rust, so that is what it is until I can fix it. (the tires are wearing very well, so I guess I'm lucky)

Up front I'm super fucked up right now, and need to align it as soon as possible. I have a stupid amount of Toe out, with a tape measure, almost 1/2" lol... That's going to be fixed soon.

The camber is another issue I've blown off. I plan on going 3.25 degrees up front and maybe 3 degrees in the back, but right now my front has about 1, and the back is 3.

The setup is definitely hurting me right now, it's pretty much set to make the car more pushy, but the guy helping me build the car has been busy at work. So a lot of the shit I need to do at a real garage with his tool has been pushed back. He actually bought some scales for his car, so he said once we get the Konis on there we can corner balance my car. I think that's going to happen over the winter when he's less busy though.

That all said, even with a jacked up alignment and an unfinished car I'm doing well locally. So I'm happy with that, I guess it's making me drive harder to keep up with all the competition who race in stock class haha.

Fair warning, those 2 videos of above are not examples of my best driving. It was the first dry race in a couple months, and the first on the new tires. I'm usually withing a couple tenths of he Z06 that won that event raw time.

Nick_C78

That is going to be too much camber for front and rear, especially for street tires and especially for autocross. You should maybe try 2.5 front and 1.8 rear with 0 toe front and 0 toe rear. That should work well for 200 tread wear tires.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You don't want negative camber in the rear for a fwd autocross car. Integras can barely get the rear to rotate on these low speed courses, that will make it much worse. In the rear I would start at 0 camber and slowly start adding positive camber while you get used to it and compare lap times. You can also toe out the rear to increase it's tendency to break loose. However I don't recommend this for fast tracks or road driving but that is a totally different setup.