guy_from_nerks 4dr build thread...the quest for 10's

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
11/30/09: Ordered some parts today from Honda that I was missing. Those parts included:
Valve Cover Gasket
Vtec Solenoid Base Gasket
Vtec Solenoid Gasket
Spark Plug Tube Grommets

After that I went to a buddies garage and shaved my valve cover. Didn't turn out too bad

This is what it looked like to begin with:

Hit it with the grinder and got it down to this:

After that some hand sanding came into effect and it ended up looking like this:

Once I was done with that I decided while I am at it, might as well get it tapped for a catch can. Called up Jegs to see if they had any -10an fittings at the closest store. Guy on the phone said they had 6 of em in stock so I headed that way. Once I got there I was informed they only had 2 in stock...not a big deal I guess since the guy working ordered me 2 more that will be here tomorrow. Gonna try and get them welded in tomorrow so I can send the cover out to the powder coater later this week.

Will have pics up tomorrow as the parts from Honda come in. Might also goto Acura and pick up some more parts for the motor

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
11/30/09: Ordered some parts today from Honda that I was missing. Those parts included:
Valve Cover Gasket
Vtec Solenoid Base Gasket
Vtec Solenoid Gasket
Spark Plug Tube Grommets

After that I went to a buddies garage and shaved my valve cover. Didn't turn out too bad

This is what it looked like to begin with:

Hit it with the grinder and got it down to this:

After that some hand sanding came into effect and it ended up looking like this:

Once I was done with that I decided while I am at it, might as well get it tapped for a catch can. Called up Jegs to see if they had any -10an fittings at the closest store. Guy on the phone said they had 6 of em in stock so I headed that way. Once I got there I was informed they only had 2 in stock...not a big deal I guess since the guy working ordered me 2 more that will be here tomorrow. Gonna try and get them welded in tomorrow so I can send the cover out to the powder coater later this week.

Will have pics up tomorrow as the parts from Honda come in. Might also goto Acura and pick up some more parts for the motor

12/2/09: Well the gaskets I ordered from Honda arrived today. I will be placing another order for more parts from them in the next week or so. Hopefully local welder calls today and lets me know that my valve cover has been finished

12/3/09: Well the motor is one step closer to being a fully rotating assembly. Picked up my timing belt tensioner and spring. Also called and ordered some random bolts from Honda that I needed as well as the crank pulley guide plates.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
12/4/09: Well another shipment of OEM goodness has arrived. I ordered new bolts for the plastic timing belt covers and also the Crank Gear Guide Plates or washers basically lol.

12/4/09: Well another shipment of OEM goodness has arrived. I ordered new bolts for the plastic timing belt covers and also the Crank Gear Guide Plates or washers basically lol.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
12/6/09: Its always nice having buddies that either work at parts stores or have warranties on parts at part stores lol. Picked up the 1 missing piece from my motor that makes it fully rotating and actually complete as far as the engine goes...My water pump!! Best part is it was FREE!! Bout damn time I get a free part after all the free parts the gf has gotten for her crx lol. Just gotta find some bolts to put it on with tomorrow and it will be finished. Who knows might just goto Honda and buy new bolts lol

12/8/09: Got to talking to a friend of mine last night about my motor and he asked me a question that I had totally over looked. He asked "if I had taken out the oil plug on the head, since my head came off an LS/Vtec". Of course I hadn't taken that out lmfao. So today me and my dad ventured up to a friends shop and tried taking it out. First we tried an allen wrench, that resulted in the allen wrench twisting at the head lol. Then we tried a Snap On socket with allen key fitting on the end, that also twisted at the head. So we finally said enough with that and just put it on the drill press and drilled it out. Should've done that to begin with haha. Also placed another order with Honda for some odds and end shit I need

Here is the plug that was in the head:

Now the head on the drill press being worked on:

The fitting is out!!:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
12/9/09: Yet another batch of OEM bolts has arrived lol. Believe it or not I had less then $3 bucks in this go around. These are the bolts for my water pump. After picking those up I came home and bolted the pump on, then went to autozone and picked up a Bosch oil filter. Might get around to putting my timing belt on tonight, depending on how motivated I feel.

Hopefully i'll have another update tomorrow but there might not be another one til this weekend when I buy something big hehe

12/10/09: The motor is finally fully rotational!! I put my BDL cam gears, timing belt and covers on today. Went ahead and tossed the Innovative driver side mount on just for shits and giggles

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
12/10/09: Well I got another update for ya lol. About 4pm today I got a phone call from the powder coating shop letting me know my cover was done. Now I have never used this shop before so I was hoping for the best....and I am happy with the results!! I will be taking my motor mounts and oil pan in more then likely to have them color matched as well as my suspension to be powder coated.

12/25/09: Santa came and brought me a couple goodies!! I got a Benen fuel rail and a Go-Autowrks vacuum manifold. The fuel rail is gold, but will be going to powder coater to be color matched to my valve cover. The vacuum manifold is black and will be hidden under my wiper cowl I believe

12/26/09: Its time to start building a transmission!!! I picked up a GSR transmission tonight that has a bad 3rd gear slider. I am going to pick up another transmission later this month from another friend that has a LSD in it. Going to combine the 2 along with some other goodies and have 1 nice transmission lol. I'll post pics up tomorrow once daylight shows its face again

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
12/27/09: Today I put the Benen Industries fuel rail on the motor just for mock up. It will be going to the powder coater in the coming weeks. I also sprayed the transmission that I picked up yesterday down with some oven cleaner, let it soak for a while and then hosed it down. Pictures don't really do it any justice. Oh yeah tossed in a picture of the Go-Autoworks vacuum manifold as well.

Benen Industries Fuel Rail and Go-Autoworks Vacuum Manifold:

Fuel Rail on motor:

Transmission:

1/4/10: Starting the new decade off with powder coated goodies!! I dropped these off before xmas, but with the holidays just now got them back, no big deal. I am happy with how they turned out. Got the following parts done:

Thermostat Housing (Silver)
Water Tube (Black)
Strut Forks (Black)

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
1/5/10: Placed another order with local Honda dealer today. Just picking up stupid little odds and ends to finally wrap up the motor. Ordered thermostat and all the bolts to bolt it together and to the block. For anyone wondering why I am using oem Honda bolts, its because 1. They are the correct size, 2. They are brand new and 3. They are pennies on the dollar lol

1/6/10: Buddy of mine had an extra knock sensor laying around, I asked if he wanted to get rid of it. Sure enough he did, got it with the plug for free!!

Knock Sensor and Plug:

Sensor and plug cleaned up:

Sensor installed on block:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
1/7/10: Order from Honda came in today. Its nothing major, but one of the little things that I feel better getting out of the way now.

Thermostat and Bolts:

Thermostat installed:

Thermostat housing bolted together:

Thermostat housing and water tube bolted to block:

1/16/10: Well today I got something I had been waiting on for 4 months now lol. No its not a clutch, its not a set of Drive Shaft Shop 1000hp axles, no its not that Bullseye Power turbo I plan on getting....you guessed it, its my Baby On Board stickers lmfao!! I got not 1 but 2 of these bad boys, and to make it even better, I got a portable bottle warmer. This badboy plugs in the cigarette lighter and heats bottles on the go lmfao!!

Oh yeah I also got the upper alternator bracket bolts that I ordered from Honda a couple days ago:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
1/16/10: Well today I got something I had been waiting on for 4 months now lol. No its not a clutch, its not a set of Drive Shaft Shop 1000hp axles, no its not that Bullseye Power turbo I plan on getting....you guessed it, its my Baby On Board stickers lmfao!! I got not 1 but 2 of these bad boys, and to make it even better, I got a portable bottle warmer. This badboy plugs in the cigarette lighter and heats bottles on the go lmfao!!

Oh yeah I also got the upper alternator bracket bolts that I ordered from Honda a couple days ago:

1/18/10: My buddy whom I bought my transmission off of went through his box of transmission parts yesterday. In that box he found several sliders, which is what is wrong with my transmission. Freebie!!! Hopefully one of these bad boys is the correct one, we shall see once I tear my trans apart.

1/25/10: Well since I am going to be doing my wire tucked engine harness this coming weekend, I figured I might as well start buying supplies. I found these nifty little things at Radio Shack, wire labels. I also ordered 10ft of 1/4 in and 10ft of 1/2 in Flame Retardant Kevlar wire loom from www.cableorganizer.com

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
1/28/10: One hell of a deal falls into my lap today. A buddy falls into shitty luck and is forced to sell his Full Blown Twin Walbro setup. This setup goes intank which is nice since I really don't wanna hassle with running an intank and inline pump, plus I don't want to run an external pump like a Weldon or Aeromotive and just have it hanging under my car. We'll just say the price I paid for this is what the hanger sells for alone ;)

1/29/10: Wire tuck supplies...check!! The kevlar loom that I ordered came today.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
1/31/10: Wire tuck day!! Only worked on it for a couple hours but pretty happy with what I got done today. Got the fuel injector harness all done and mocked up on the motor.

Here is what I started with today:

Borrowed my buddies Haynes manual and started going through the wiring schematics to figure out which wire goes to which plug. After figuring out what went where I started to cut wires label them:

I decided to start on the fuel injectors first since there is only 8 wires for them. I started with injector #1 and worked over to #4, soldered every connection point that I had cut, electrical taped it and heat shrunk it as well. (I changed how soldered the wires together after this pic was taken so it lays more flush instead of pointed upwards):

Then I took the labels that I had bought from Radio Shack and started to label the injectors individually (also labled the entire loom later on for future reference):

Got the fuel injector harness soldered, taped, labeled and loomed:

Then it was mock up time:

And finally just a shot of what it now looks like looking at the motor with the injectors and plugs installed:

I will be finishing up the rest of the harness this week, gonna work on it at night after work, so bare with me. I'll have updates as progress is made

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
2/8/10: While I was at work today, I had the gf who was playing hooky from work take my stock flywheel to the machine shop to be resurfaced. It will be done tomorrow, but I prob wont be able to pick it up til later in the week due to work schedule.

2/8/10: While I was at work today, I had the gf who was playing hooky from work take my stock flywheel to the machine shop to be resurfaced. It will be done tomorrow, but I prob wont be able to pick it up til later in the week due to work schedule.

2/11/10: Happy early valentines day to me!! Courtesy of the gf ARP flywheel bolts are ordered from Jegs. Just 1 more small thing taken off my "to buy" list. Future father in law is picking my flywheel up from machine shop for me tomorrow due to my work schedule, also hopefully parts at the powder coater and done and hopefully my lsd arrives. Could be a big day tomorrow

2/12/10: Well today wasn't as big of day as I was hoping for, but.....i did get a couple things today! My ARP flywheel bolts and flywheel came in today. The flywheel turned out really well

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
2/15/10: The man in brown suit arrives!! What has he brought me this time? Why its just my MFactory LSD!!!! The best part of this purchase by far has to be the sweet ass stickers they sent lol. Only thing I can complain about right now is they didn't send me a T-shirt like we had discussed, guess they will be getting a call from me haha.