guy_from_nerks 4dr build thread...the quest for 10's

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
3/26/10: Had a little extra cash from seling a few parts so figured I would buy something for myself. Called up JHPUSA and ordered a Vision CF Spark Plug Cover. Should offset all the gold thats going on in the engine bay as well as match my AN fittings and Hose (its all gonna be black), plus it'll match the CF Feul Pressure Gauge. The day didn't stop there, me and the gf ventured back up to Jegs to return the fittings that were the wrong size, picked up the correct size (3/8ths).

3/27/10: Well today proved to be a little more expensive then I had planned lol. Thats alright atleast I got 1 of the last major things off my list in order to get the car up and running. We'll get to that in a min, let me catch you up with a couple things I forgot to mention and a couple other things that were bought today.

I was cleaning out the basement the last couple days and came across some random parts that I had forgotten about. Amongst them was a weighted shift knob, not sure what brand this thing is but I like how it feels in my hand. Also in the randomness that is my basement, there was an Autometer black faced boost/vaccum gauge.

Once I became fully functionable me and the wife headed off to run some errands, while we was out I decided a trip to auto part store was needed. Picked up a set of NGK plugs and ordered some NGK plug wires (they come in tomorrow).

Why stop there right? I figured I might as well take out 1 big item off my list...Fuel System parts!!! Ventured back to jegs (they have to be tired of seeing my handsome ass lol), picked up all the AN fittings, AN wrenches and SS line needed to do my fuel system. Me being picky I went with all black fittings and line, should help break up the Green/Gold, plus it will match my catch can setup that I plan to order in the upcoming week or 2. If you have never bought AN fittings or SS line, let me prewarn you...this shit is expensive!!

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
3/27/10: Well today proved to be a little more expensive then I had planned lol. Thats alright atleast I got 1 of the last major things off my list in order to get the car up and running. We'll get to that in a min, let me catch you up with a couple things I forgot to mention and a couple other things that were bought today.

I was cleaning out the basement the last couple days and came across some random parts that I had forgotten about. Amongst them was a weighted shift knob, not sure what brand this thing is but I like how it feels in my hand. Also in the randomness that is my basement, there was an Autometer black faced boost/vaccum gauge.

Once I became fully functionable me and the wife headed off to run some errands, while we was out I decided a trip to auto part store was needed. Picked up a set of NGK plugs and ordered some NGK plug wires (they come in tomorrow).

Why stop there right? I figured I might as well take out 1 big item off my list...Fuel System parts!!! Ventured back to jegs (they have to be tired of seeing my handsome ass lol), picked up all the AN fittings, AN wrenches and SS line needed to do my fuel system. Me being picky I went with all black fittings and line, should help break up the Green/Gold, plus it will match my catch can setup that I plan to order in the upcoming week or 2. If you have never bought AN fittings or SS line, let me prewarn you...this shit is expensive!!

3/28/10: My spark plug wires came in today so went and picked those up. Also took the header that was gonna go in my gf's crx build and put it on my motor. I will be using it for my break in period and until I can afford boost parts. Thew my dizzy and spark plug wires on for mock-up and to seal the motor up completely to avoid anything from falling inside it.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
3/29/10: Trying to knock out the "to buy list", so today I called up Greg at Go-Autoworks and ordered one of his GT Series Catch Cans. Parts should start arriving this week, waiting on my quad-pod, CF spark plug cover and the catch can now. Also went to Honda and got a new Distributor cap and clutch slave cylinder

If you haven't see the Go-Autoworks GT Series Catch Cans well then here ya go (btw Greg is very easy to deal with):

Dizzy and slave clyinder:

4/4/10: Mista Bone came up today and picked up my transmission and all its new goodies. It will be back from its stay in Cincy in a couple weeks.

4/5/10: Came home today from work to find that my order from JHPUSA.com had arrived. Inside the box was my Vision carbon fiber spark plug cover. This thing is nice as hell looking, not some cheap over lay or jank ass shit. I highly reccomend picking one of these up, my only complaint would be shipping time (10 days) but its whatever, atleast it arrived and in 1 piece.

I think it helps break all the gold up and will match my AN fittings nicely

I ordered my Blox TPS and Speed Factory Racing 4 bar map sensor (exact same as Hondata/Omni, made in same factory), got these parts directly from SpeedFactoryRacing, they are a sponsor on Honda-Tech

Once the wife got home we ventured back up to jegs (she really hates this trip lol). I had to exchange a couple AN fittings that were the wrong size (Benen Fuel Rail is 3/8 NPT FYI), while there also picked up the fittings and hose for my catch can:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/7/10:Whew whoo parts parts and more parts arrived today. Got home from work and these were sitting here for me:

Go-Autoworks GT Catch Can, Blox TPS and Speed Factory Racing 4Bar Map Sensor

Put my fittings on the catch can just to see how it looks.

Speed Factory offers their map sensors in 3,4 and 7 Bars, they can be found here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2723388

Major props go out to Greg at go-autoworks on the catch can. The welds are flawless and over all the catch can is a nice piece. Customer service is a huge thing to me and Greg's has been nothing but great thus far. Will be buying most if not all my turbo parts through him when the time comes. Check him out at: www.go-autoworks.com

4/9/10: The power steering bushing I ordered from Energy Suspension arrived today. Hopefully my subframe gets finished up at the powder coaters here in the next few days so I can get the bushing trimmed down to fit the manual rack on it. Also placed another order with Synchrotech and MFactory, had to buy a new 3/4 slider from synchrotech and differential bearings from MFactory.

Synchrotech FTW again!! I ordered the slider and within 20mins I had an email with tracking number showing that the item had already shipped out. That is service you cannot beat!!!

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/10/10:Brake fittings galore!! All the fittings I ordered for my brake tuck arrived today. The gf also bought my brake line for me!!

4/14/10: Wire tucking 101: Do not do this lol!! God what a pain in the ass this is to do, oh well its done now! 2 hours spent working on this today and got it 90% complete, just gotta hook up engine harness once I get motor in the car and its done.

Started the day off by removing the front bumper:

After that I cut the grommets that hold the harnesses in place so I could pull them through the firewall:

After that I had to seperate the harness between engine harness and headlight harness. Once that was done I took the fenders off the car so I could run the harness along the frame rail. While the fender was off I decided to paint the frame rail black out of boredom lol:

This is what it looks like without the harnesses in the engine bay:

I had to extend 4 wires on the driver side for the headlight harness. Heres my dad lending a hand and soldering the wires:

After that I test fit everything 1 more time just to make sure all plugs reached their destination. After that put the fenders back on and boom it was done:

For those wondering I didn't have to depin any harnesses in order to pull them through the holse in firewall or in the hole from cabin to frame rail (hole where speaker wires go). With a little twisting they all fit through, just takes patience (which I am learning to have from this build lol).

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/15/10: Tax day is amongst us....so lets all get car parts!! The differential bearings I ordered from MFactory arrived today, also the 3/4 Slider I ordered from Synchrotech arrived as well. I also went down to the powder coaters to check status of my parts I had dropped off down there, they are going same gold color as my valve cover btw. They will be done by saturday!!!

Differential Bearings and Slider:

Subframe and Motor Mounts in primer at powder coaters:

(Front)

(Back)

Oh yeah also had my clutch master cylinder done (hey it was free to do lol). Here is a before and after:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/16/10: One of the last packages I was waiting on finally arrived!! The quad-pods I got from Mike showed up today. Let me start by once again thanking Mike the owner of quad-pod. Secondly let me tell you how nice these things are in person, pictures do them no justice honestly. The color of the clock pod is identical to the Tan dashes some of us Teg owners rock. Lastly the gauge holes are perfect dimensions with no flaws. The items were packaged nice and securely with lots of bubble wrap, peanuts and air packs inside the box.

For those interested again the website is www.quad-pod.com. Check my first page as well for more contact info such as email and username for Mike. Be sure to tell him that guy_from_nerk or Josh Moore sent you!!

Clock Pod:

Cluster Bezel (gauges not included lol):

4/19/10: Anyone wanna take a guess as to what I plan on doing tomorrow?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/22/10: Nothing is sexier then completely shaved!! Got a little break from work so I was finally able to do some work to my car. Got ahold of a grinder finally and it was time to put it and my welder to use. You know all those little random holes that Honda littered the engine bay with? Well they are no longer in my bay. I started getting all the seam sealer out too, but got tired of using a wire wheel. So this weekend I am going to bust out the sand pot and air compressor and just sandblast the engine bay, forget doing things the hard way, make shit simple if you got the resources. Now lets get to some pics:

Passenger Side:
Before

After

Strut Tower:
Before{/b]

After

And just some other random shots:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/23/10: You know those brake booster delete kits companies like ChaseBays sell for $240bucks? Well I found a company that sells them for $135 shipped!!! Kens Kustom Chassis (yes its spelled Kustom) in Pennsylvnia offers these things at a fraction of the cost of other companies. Well anyways I ordered one today!!

Check em out at: www.kenskustomchassis.com

This is what it looks like:

4/26/10 The booster delete kit that I ordered from Kens Kustom Chassis arrived today. Now I am kinda torn on this after buying it lol. I like the idea of cleaning the engine bay up by eliminating the booster. My only concern really is having only 1 line coming off the Master Cylinder and having to T it off once inside the car so I can have front and rear brakes. My concern with doing this is what if a brake line breaks or starts leaking and I dont catch it before running out of fluid, hit the brakes and they are gone.

Some people also complain about the heavy pedal, however I have driven old muscle cars along with my dads v8 powered Jeep that has manual brakes and its really not that bad. Yes it requires a little extra leg muscle to apply the brakes but thats nothing major in my opinion.

Anyways A++ goes to Kens Kustom Chassis on fast shipment and great customer service. For those wondering the master cylinder is a 3/4

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
4/29/10: Well Mista Bone aka Transbone sent me some pictures of my transmission. I get it back this weekend!!

Differential and Bearings installed

Shafts being put back together

Everything back inside the case

Trans back together!!

5/2/10: Transmission came back home today!! Once again thanks Mista Bone!! I have been busy the last few days grinding, welding and grinding some more on my engine bay. All I can say is **** shaving engine bays, def not worth all the time and energy spent lol. I have also decided to do a complete color change on the teg, should have the engine bay in paint by weeks end so you'll have to wait til then for another update!

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
5/3/10: Today I decided that I kinda wanna change shit up. So I headed to my local paint store and started looking at colors. I was torn between several colors, the list included Rootbeer Metallic, Cypress Green, Medium Green (GM color), ultimately I chose none of those lol. I instead went with a color that is the same shade as rootbeer, just a 1/4 of the cost and has more metallic in it. I am going to spray my engine bay first just to make sure this is the color I want to paint the entire car. I have shown it to several people and I get nothing but positive feedback on the color, maybe you can chime in with yours. I know the color isn't for everyone but just curious as to what others have to say about it.

(It looks really red in these pics, but its darker in real life, just has a lot of red metallics in it)

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
5/4/10: Parts at powder coater are finally finished up...well almost all of them. The only thing not done is my mounts, they turned out darker then everything else. Should have those back in a few days. Also while at the powder coater I picked a little something up off him for $50 bucks lol. The valve cover will be going back cause as you can see in the pics it has decided to start spider cracking. It didn't do this until about an hr after I brought it home :(

Heres pics of my valve cover with the new gold color and my subframe, manual rack and sway bar:

Also heres a couple pictures of my engine bay progress. Gotta pick up some seam sealer to cover the areas I welded and then put it in primer, body filler, spot prime and then paint.

Oh and what did I pick up for $50?

Just a blast cabinet lol:

ls/lownslow

1/28/10:
1/29/10: Wire tuck supplies...check!! The kevlar loom that I ordered came today.

whats up man good to see you here on CI i was following your build thread on carolinahondas

looks good cant wait to see it finished

one question tho were did you get the loom from ?

how much was it?

the person i used to get it from is no longer around and i cant fing a good place to buy it from and have a couple of harnesses to finish

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
5/15/10: So freaking far behind where I had hoped to be at this point, so gotta bust ass to get caught back up. Finally found time today to work on the car. Got all the welding done except for 2 holes which I am going to finish in the am. I also got all all the welds grinded down and got them into bondo to start smoothing/leveling everything out. Got the first coat of bondo all sanded out, gonna apply a 2nd coat tomorrow morning and then some spot putty. I am hoping to have the bay in primer and possibly paint by tomorrow evening.

Engine Bay in Bondo:

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

Core Support:

Shock Tower Sanded:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
whats up man good to see you here on CI i was following your build thread on carolinahondas

looks good cant wait to see it finished

one question tho were did you get the loom from ?

how much was it?

the person i used to get it from is no longer around and i cant fing a good place to buy it from and have a couple of harnesses to finish

Hey whats up man! I got it from www.wiringproducts.com took like 2days to get here and was dirt cheap...

BTW keep watching, I have about 4 more pages of updates to load here lol