How To: Hypermile (Integra Specific)

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
So I got around 27MPG doing the above method that I was trying out. I think that the 6 to 8 seconds for shift to another shift is too long and burns more gas than if accelerating at 5-7 seconds. This was only one tank so other factors such as winter fuel blend and weather conditions may have played a role but it was almost a 10% drop in my average so I suggest you dont shift as I tried in the above method unless you had a different experience.

93lsbro

Nice review of your driving! I dont monitor my gas usage that often mainly because Im too lazy, but the most ive gotten is about 40, and the least is about 22. The 22 is when I feel like 'racing' everywhere, and the 40 mpg is when I completely devote myself to save gas. When my engine is up to normal temp, Ill shift up at 3000 and downshift at 2200 or so. If im coming to a stop or red light, I normally coast from as far back as I can (I look for lights to change to yellow from very far back to save fuel) and keep it in gear so that I slow down more.

Question - Do you use gas when you're in gear but off the gas? Like more than idle? Why use your brakes when your rpms can just slow you down.

One thing I do that Im very curious about in terms of mpg's, is skipping gears. I save my clutch as much as I can by not making full stops (california stop) and starting in 2nd. I feel like my speed goes up the same as when I shift from 2 - 4, than 2 - 3 - 4. Just that I dont get as much power when in high rpms. Ill either shift from 1 - 3 - 5 or 2 - 4 - 5. I really dont know if this helps anything at all, but Im very curious as to if it does.

Would you test this out and see if it helps mpg? Im too busy to keep track of mpg that often, and Im broke half the time so I put in like 5 bucks :/.

Does anyone know If skipping gears hurts any part of the transmission, I dont believe so, but I may be wrong.
I also do that! except i usually do 1-2-5 sometimes 1-3-5 Ive noticed it does save some gas but not too much... i usually get an extra day of commuting without a fill up. I don't see why it would harm the tranny, if anything it shifts the load from your other gears to the less used high gears. /shruuuug

ghost1776

Respected Member!!
My driving technique is as follows:

When its raining or snowing drive slower and shifter lower (RPM).

When roads are dry vtec is engaged often. :) There is a lot of downshifting and heel and toeing going on. :suprise:

I don't get good gas mileage...:cry:
lmao........ same here.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Pumped my tires up to 40psi+ and noticed a pretty good increase in rolling distance. Not driving too much these days though as all the gas in the area is around $4... Also coasting in 5th from a distance when coming to a stop. It would be nice if someone could be the tester on these different ideas! Let me know if you are interested.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Haven't been driving as much as gas got way too high for me. Got a little over 28mpg from my last recording. This next tank will be with a fuel system cleaner, the over inflated tires, and shifting at around 2,700rpms when on the flat roads, 3,000rpms when on hills. Will get back with the results!

Last edited:

drkstoner

I recently took my 91 DA on an emergency 492 mile round trip and averaged about 36.7 mpg for the total trip but probably could have gotten better since I was having to stop refill my coolant and bleed it. Since I caught a rock that took out my cooling fan and put a small hole in my radiator a few weeks back. in the town I was quick to shift around 2k up til 4th since the 4" exhaust is louder than hell but once that 70 MPH sign passes but its 3rd gear until 45-50 mph 4th till I hit 70 MPH then I leave her in 5th until she drops to 65 MPH, for some reason my 5th gear doest hold well under 75-80 MPH really need to get this cars gear ratio checked to much random stuff in this car to tell whats been modified and what hasn't.. for instance it has a p28 chip but all the markings on the engine are for the b18a1

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
CITY: 22mpg
HIGHWAY: 28mpg
COMBINED: 24mpg
wait...wtf...........if you hyper mile...you get the most out of your fuel economy...meaning you should be getting more mpg than me. I get 27 combined if i have fun and break out the heavy foot...running rich, and i dont have a stock transmission...i dont understand your fuel consumption. because when i went i got my max mpg it was 38mpg freeway...going 80mph

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Sounds like you fail at "hypermiling". I beat the freaking crap out of my car and average 28mpg every time

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Thank you for your constructive comments! Makes me feel really good inside especially noticing that you dont read eveything... I average over 28mpg combined, those nubmers above are the EPA numbers. I drive more in the city than I do the highway I believe which would add to my lowered MPG. And are you guys sure you doing the math right?

built_ls

dude we have we have hondas. gas milage isn't a big concern for me. If I was driving a big v8 then i would worry about gas milage. Sounds like you drive your car like an old man just to save about $20 or so extra dollars a year on gas. I'm just not down with that, just my opinion......

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Thank you for your constructive comments! Makes me feel really good inside especially noticing that you dont read eveything... I average over 28mpg combined, those nubmers above are the EPA numbers. I drive more in the city than I do the highway I believe which would add to my lowered MPG. And are you guys sure you doing the math right?
I can't hear your sarcasm over the Internet, so I'll take that sincerely and say you are welcome. I read the whole thread. I average 28mpg combined and am almost always flogging it around the city, maybe 15-20 miles on the highway every tank. And yes, I know my math thank you. My last fill up was 10.3 gallons for 286.8 miles of driving = 27.84 mpg. I reset the clock every time I fill up. The time before that I was near 290 miles and filled 10 gallons even, which simple math tell us is about 29 mpg. Are you sure you are doing you methods are correct? Because I'm yielding better results than you just driving around town

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
There are many variables as to why I may not be getting as good gas mileage and I have been tracking my fuel consumption for nearly a year now. My motor could be acting a little funny, I have extra weight in the car, I dont drive for a long enough time for the car to really warm up, the list can go on and on. Im trying to find the best procedure to maximize fuel economy knowing that it will help some people out, if you want to, in my opinion, waste your money on gas, then thats your choice, im trying to provide a better way.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
There are many variables as to why I may not be getting as good gas mileage and I have been tracking my fuel consumption for nearly a year now. My motor could be acting a little funny, I have extra weight in the car, I dont drive for a long enough time for the car to really warm up, the list can go on and on. Im trying to find the best procedure to maximize fuel economy knowing that it will help some people out, if you want to, in my opinion, waste your money on gas, then thats your choice, im trying to provide a better way.
I have one of the heaviest Integras ever made (4 door GS) with tons of audio equipment and tools constantly in the trunk. My average drive time is 10-15 minutes a trip, usually to and from school a couple mile away and to the store around the corner. I really just think all the things you are doing are unecessary and not yielding any sort of productive results, waste of a gs-r IMHO. Better way to save gas, drive a legit economy car, prius, civic hybrid, etc etc

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i warm up my car till its at operating temp, i have a heavy foot...and i race, and i still get 27mpg...I dont understand your numbers, when i drive semi conservatively i get 30mpg, and when i "hypermile" i get at least 36mpg. I do my math right, 360 miles divided by 10 gallons= 36mpg. i only fill 10-11 gallons per fill. All my team's built motors are getting at least 27mpg with a shorter transmission than you.