How To: Hypermile (Integra Specific)

eiznekeM

Thank you for that non-productive comment^^ Problems can be intermittent and hard to diagnose. Considering I dont drive my car often enough to get consistent results, thats why I was not sure about it. Since I got such high mpg's on this last trip, im not so worried engine efficieny, its more about fine-tuning my driving technique. Also, have been driving on 87 octane for the last few fill-ups and switched to 91 on the last 1.5 fillups, we will see if there is a drastic difference. 87 octane has been giving me ~28mpg.
Anytime :thumbs up

If you're worried about fuel mileage, sell your car to someone who will appreciate it and get a fucking hybrid. You put regular in a motor that premium is supposed to be used? Bra-fucking-vo.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Anytime :thumbs up

If you're worried about fuel mileage, sell your car to someone who will appreciate it and get a f***ing hybrid. You put regular in a motor that premium is supposed to be used? Bra-f***ing-vo.
Your age is represented in your lack of an intelligent post and your disrespect for others^^ You can have fun in a car and still have it be efficient, running it to the ground does not have to represent someone that is going to "appreciate it". And if you can read, the Owner’s Manual clearly states that you can put in lower grade fuel. Spend the time to read the entire thread and maybe you'll learn something. And if you somehow find joy in paying 3 times the price for gas compared to a few years ago, you are definitely one of the few.
If you don’t care about technique and achieving good MPG's then don’t read or comment on this thread... If you would like to be constructive and help others who are interested in this, then please post how you drive as I did on the first page. Thanks

eiznekeM

Your age is represented in your lack of an intelligent post and your disrespect for others^^ You can have fun in a car and still have it be efficient, running it to the ground does not have to represent someone that is going to "appreciate it". And if you can read, the Owner’s Manual clearly states that you can put in lower grade fuel. Spend the time to read the entire thread and maybe you'll learn something. And if you somehow find joy in paying 3 times the price for gas compared to a few years ago, you are definitely one of the few.
If you don’t care about technique and achieving good MPG's then don’t read or comment on this thread... If you would like to be constructive and help others who are interested in this, then please post how you drive as I did on the first page. Thanks
Ha, you're three years older than me, get off it. Did I say run it into the ground? No. I read your whole thread, and people not doing anything special and just driving the damn car are getting better fuel milage than you. You want my habits? Here ya go: Shift at 3000 in city limits, put it in fifth once I get to the speed limit, down shifting at 1500. Highway, shifting at 3500-4000, cruising in fifth at 110 km/h. I got 620 km out of my last tank, and I did a 250km stretch at 150 km/h on the freeway.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Thats pretty darn good! How much of that tank was in-city driving?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I do atleast 50% in city driving=^( Really hurts my numbers. Oh ya, and your comment about me being "only" 3 years older, when your my age, you'll see what I mean about 18yr olds lol=*D

camopaint0707

I've done a lot of reading on Hypermiling online and watched many videos, but sense each car is a little different, I wanted to start a thread on Hypermiling with attention to the Integra. The EPA Estimates for my 1994 Integra GSR are as follows;
CITY: 22mpg
HIGHWAY: 28mpg
COMBINED: 24mpg
I have been recording my fuel purchases and MPG's since about August of this year. I do this online through FuelEconomy.gov. My current combined average is 29mpg and my best ever was an all highway tank of 34.7mpg, worst ever tank 26.9mpg.
How I Drive
The way I drive when driving for maximum efficiency is to upshift at 3,000rpms as the Owners Manual says, downshift when around 2,250rpms as the Owners Manual says. It takes me about 5 seconds of acceleration to achieve 3,000rpms. If I know I have to stop, I coast in gear to the stop because the fuel injectors are turned off meaning I am not using any gasoline (Note: This is only true when RPMS are over 950rpms, below that, the ecu turns on injectors to avoid stalling out the vehicle). If its a redlight, I try to never stop on my way towards it as coming to a complete stop is the same as getting ZERO MPG. Ill do an occasional Pulse and Glide from 70mph to 50mph by accelerating to 70mph and the letting it coast in Neutral down to 50mph. From 50mph, it takes me about 16 seconds to get it back to 70mph before doing it again. If there is too much traffic, I drive in the slower lanes on the freeway and drive between 55mph-60mph which according to my estimates is around 35mpg. When dealing with uphills, I do not depress my gas pedal more to continue at same speed as this burns more gas, I leave it at the same position and possibly downshift if hill is to steep. My car is up on its maintenance but am disappointed at my MPG numbers when I compare to others with my same car averaging in the lower 30's for in city driving!
The Question
Please share with everyone else your driving technique and your average MPG and if you see something that I myself am doing wrong, please point it out and I will share my future recordings to see what kind of results I can get. I am particularly interested in shift points and how much you are pressing on the gas pedal. If you do describe pedal depression, please say in matter of inches pressed down and/or how long it takes you to reach a specific RPM.
I hope this thread becomes extremely beneficial to all who read it! Thank you. -Aaron
So with all that special driving you still can't break 40 mpg? Either city or highway or combined?

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Just filled up the car, got 34 mpg at 50% highway, getting on it often, lots of stop and go and idling and lots of short trips. Shift at about 4-5k rpm and stay in gear that keeps me above 3500 rpm cause I like the throttle response better and "heel-toe"ing wert once in a while.. Technique means nothing. If I actually tried to not push it do hard and stay in the highest gear, I could pull at least a 37 no sweat.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
That really baffles me on how you can get such high numbers with what would appear to be inefficient driving. Goes against pretty much anything you'd read about on the Hypermiling forums. And stop saying Technique doesn't matter, it does matter if your trying to get good MPG. Trying to nail down a "formula" I guess you could say for maximum efficiency. I think ill post your results on Ecomodder and see what people have to say.

I would have had over 40mpg IMO when I drove to LAX but had 45minutes of traffic and still got 39mpg...

Last edited:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Well, I'm saying it seems your "technique" isn't working, just my opinion. And go for it, I'm actually interested to hear what they say. Just a non vtec auto 4 door integra with intake and axle back exhaust. I'll post up my results when I get my tune, getting two separate chips, one economy tuned and the other performance, I'll post my mileage for both

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
That would be great klutch, keep a fuel-log on either Ecomodder.com or Fueleconomy.gov. Its really interesting to see how different months of the year changes your efficiency and prices for gas, highly recommend. And some of the guys on there were saying that they too were quite amazed if your driving around at 4-5k getting mid 30's as no one else on there seems to be able to match that, not even the person driving a 90 Integra averaging high 30's low 40's. Keep in mind that I have a GSR and you dont have VTec.

Prozon

Kris
93 Integra with the B18b1. Non-Vtec.
I average 29.3mpg combined. Shifting around 3000rpms.
Have done some high rev's quite a bit, lots of aggressive driving. A couple burnouts just goofing off.
About equal city/hwy driving.
87 octane from the 76 gas station.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Yeah I'll do that. And I don't think vtec is the issue so much as your entire motor is built for performance. I'm thinking maybe elevation is at play as a key factor as well, I'm a mile above sea level here... But I'll keep track, I'll even take pictures if you don't believe me.

j13

Keep It Clean
hypermiler here, never mash the gas to go up hills, put it in neutral when going down long down hill roads, keep a steady smooth speed. never smash the gas red light to red light, just cruise thru heavy traffic at a smooth speed and come to a complete stop on someones bumper, just ease up and let off the gas..these are my little techniques..I use these and many more

eiznekeM

hypermiler here, never mash the gas to go up hills, put it in neutral when going down long down hill roads, keep a steady smooth speed. never smash the gas red light to red light, just cruise thru heavy traffic at a smooth speed and come to a complete stop on someones bumper, just ease up and let off the gas..these are my little techniques..I use these and many more
What kind of mileage are you getting though?