My 97 GS so far

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd

Quick and simple, nice :lol:
I did have a vacuum cap on the IM where the EVAP hose should go in, will that make a difference in the cause of the CEL? I also remembered that while I was installing another o2 sensor, I had noticed that one of the nuts from the exhaust had fallen off but I could not fix it since I didn't have appropriate tools on me, maybe there's an exhaust leak there also.. Hm, I need to stop being ghetto.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Got all the lines hooked but and took it for a drive. Runs much better than it did before, only difference is that I don't have VTEC :lol:
I do notice a surging idle but it's probably because the hose from the EVAP to the IM wasn't exact and is a bit loose.

Edit: fixed it, had bought a little emission thingy that had a big end so I can plug in the 3/15 into and it and a smaller end so I can put into the IM. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Last edited:

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Okay, everything seems fine so far. Haven't received any CEL's but came to advanced auto parts to use the scanner. I do have two pending codes, P0450 and P0133. EVAP system pressure sensor switch and o2 sensor circuit slow, bank 1 sensor 1 (thank goodness it's not bank 2). Will these two cause me to fail emissions since they aren't confirmed codes yet? If so, how can I fix the cocksucker? :roll:

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you can pass emissions with your evap hanging like that?

I really forgot how i hooked mine up 4 years ago. I had to do the same thing. Im fairly sure your evap stuff is because of how you have it hooked up. I want to say mine was tapped to a larger vacuum source.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Look up how its done on an ITR. I think that vacuum source is too small like i said. I would tap into another vacuum source

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I don't know, this is my first time doing emissions on my car. I don't think they actually check everything but just hook up the machine to the OBD port.

These are some of the data it gave me

Sent from my iPhone 2g

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Look up how its done on an ITR. I think that vacuum source is too small like i said. I would tap into another vacuum source

I do notice that the ITR uses a different type of purge solenoid, it's a bit smaller and it goes right up to the smaller vacuum source on the IM

Edit: I do remember that I unhooked the line from the solenoid last night while test fitting it while the car was on so that may have effected the ECU. All I can do is drive it around and hopefully the CEL does not come on.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Last edited:

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I went through all the trouble to pass emissions and the lady at the DMV doesn't even ask for the paper...:lol:
Ordered a ton of craftsman tools so I can keep at home which will allow me to work on my car at home. I'm planning on ordering a Hondata heat shield IM gasket and extended studs. I'm will be taking off the oil pressure sender unit off of my block and mounting it somewhere on the firewall (thanks to Nick and Samurai for the tip) with some sort of custom bracket and a braided oil line. I also want to clean up my whole EVAP system and all the wires/hoses behind the intake manifold. I basically want to fix all of my half-assed mods :mrgreen:
I also plan to install my new gates water pump/timing belt soon now that I will have tools, wish I had a garage though... :roll:

Sent from my iPhone 2g

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Hm, after researching and questioning my PCV set up, maybe this was causing my oil to just disappear. I did not know the purpose of the PCV port on the intake manifold was NOT to have the intake manifold suck in the vapors and just burn it off in the combustion chamber. I figured it was just like my original cylinder head, one hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold and another to the intake arm. As it seems, one was to evacuate all the vapors produced and burn it in the combustion chamber and other hose was to help build up positive crankcase ventilation.

What I did with my ghetto catch can set up was to have it catch all the oil vapors and shoot the gas back into the IM, no positive crankcase ventilation. I may need a PCV system, anyone have an OEM one laying around I can buy? Hopefully I didn't damage anything from my ignorance :roll:

Sent from my iPhone 2g

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
And I see why most people used B18A1 blocks for LSV now.. Stupid B18B1 blocks don't have the hole for the PCV system. What I think I might do is use one of those Prelude oil cooler joints and have a hose running from the IM straight into it, of course I wouldn't want too much air going in so I'll see if I can find some way to sort of regulate it. Advanced auto parts should have something. I'm going to be ordering my IM gasket and an oil line for my sender unit. I will be hopefully getting this all done by next sunday. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 2g

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Thanks?? :lol:

Took off my ghetto catch can set up and figured I might as well just ventilate the valve cover with a breather filter since I don't even have the PCV system set up correctly, or one at all. Good thing about this is that I don't have that annoying whistling vacuum noise I had before. :roll:

My old ghetto catch can set up. One side to the valve cover and the other end to the intake manifold. I had the baffle in the middle which will capture oil vapors.

I'd like to just take off a freeze plug off of the block and use instead the oil cooler joint from a Prelude and connect a vacuum hose from the IM to ventilate the crankcase but having that much vacuum would just do more harm to the engine than any good. I was use some sort of valve to regulate the vacuum but I need some sort of way to create this thingy I picked up and make it into some sort of catch. I may also be able to just use my old set up but I don't like the thought of it just dangling behind the engine. I don't want to buy an actual catch can because I do not want to spend anymore money than I have to on my car.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if that stuff is coming out of your valve cover...its going to drip onto your motor out of your filter or be stuck in the motor. those breathers do nothing helpful.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I know they don't.. It's just for the time being till I can make myself a proper breather box and all my things come in. Will have to off by next sunday.

Sent from my iPhone 2g