Shifting an auto like a manual bad?

wobet

RS SPECIAL EDITION? :o
what's the price range to invest in swaping an auto for a manual? like the overall with clutch assembly and all. I know price might vary by the charge on labor but what would I be looking at?
labor? lol imagine, you might wanna find yourself a parts car and a backyard machanic (or a real mach that is a friend) shit like that is more of a personal project or a money sucker.... i refuse to bring my car to a machanic to do a swap in the shop because hours + labour + parts are not worth the cost when you can get it done for a 600 used car that has a shit body but mint trany setup.. go to a junkyard, see what they have, or find the cheapest standard you can that has all the parts to swap

wobet

RS SPECIAL EDITION? :o
I fully agree! I only do it when im bored now. But used to do it all the time cuz i thought it was cool. (Typical ricer thing lmao) but for fear of it ruining my tranny i only do it when road rage kicks in.
ya i have that road rage issue in my auto. i start to shift it also.

EklipzeR

StOnErZ iNc
thanks. I guess it's not a bad investment down the road. I will put that somewhere in the list.

XxCaryxX

Boredom or roadrage (More for the latter let me clarify that)

EklipzeR

StOnErZ iNc
labor? lol imagine, you might wanna find yourself a parts car and a backyard machanic (or a real mach that is a friend) shit like that is more of a personal project or a money sucker.... i refuse to bring my car to a machanic to do a swap in the shop because hours + labour + parts are not worth the cost when you can get it done for a 600 used car that has a shit body but mint trany setup.. go to a junkyard, see what they have, or find the cheapest standard you can that has all the parts to swap
that's true, I will just give it a try with one of the mechanics I deal more often with and get an estimate. I'll just compare to how much it would cost to do it outside the shop. But if it's not too much of a difference I wouldn't mind paying to get it done right. it's not a priority right now but I do miss the shifting a lot and I don't wanna kill my tranny with road rage cuz I get that too sometimes...lol thanks though

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Swapping to a manual tranny shouldn't cost too much. It'll definitely be worth the investment.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I use to know a guy who would do that in his V6 Accord, back 10 years ago when you couldn't get a V6 Accord manual. The dude was a true moron, nice guy and all, but not that intelligent.

Finksta

Acura puts in the manual that moving through 1,2,D3, and D4 is a way to "shift the gears like a manual transmission" (I'm paraphrasing but it essentially states that). Obviously it is not a good idea to drive your auto Integra doing this, but the transmission has these gates for a reason so the transmission can definitely take it, but like everything good in life it must be done in moderation (sex I think is the one thing that is good and doesn't need to be done in moderation-well maybe if your like Tiger Woods and tee-ing girls off left and right there is the STD factor and there's the pregnancy thing....I'm just scaring myself now. Needless to say if you have a girl who is clean and willing to take the day-after pill I can't think of a reason to practice moderation).

Personally I only go below D4 to hold a gear if I'm going up a steep grade and the transmissions trying to shift or if the same is happening going down a steep grade. I also have done it on the highway when the transmission is being lazy and taking to long to downshift I'll toss it down to D3 (one of the reasons I THINK that Honda doesn't have a block between the D4 and D3 gate is for this reason).

Last edited:

phatintegra

Banned
Read the Acura Manual first. I do it all the time on the track been doing it for 6 years. If u have it in N then rev the RPM up then dump it in D. Yes you will hurt the trans or if you down gear yes you will hurt the trans but if you up shift no you will not hurt the trans.

DB7xsjado

Old Skool
yep I messed up and I had to have my 96 neon tranny rebuilt..I remember it well because the day it was finished was 09-11-2001. My happiness from getting my car back that morning was short-lived to say the least.

Surferman

I used the "ask a honda mechinc online and heres my convo:

Quick Queston. I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS with 130K with auto transmission. Is it in anyway bad for the automatic transmission to be shifted manualy while driving?

Greetings,

It is not bad unless you are down shifting at a high rate of speed and the down shift causes the engine to screem. It is better than leaving it in drive and stay between 45-55 mph going up and down causing the torque converter to lock up and release repeatedly. Fluid changes are big on these, change with acura fluid(expensive) and they will last a long time.

good luck

Okay thanks alot, but is there anyway you could you clear this sentance up a bit, I didnt really understand it:

"It is better than leaving it in drive and stay between 45-55 mph going up and down causing the torque converter to lock up and release repeatedly"

when you drive an automatic trans it goes into over drive 45-55 mph. When driving in traffic or around town if you go up and down in speed the trans will go into overdrive(torque converter lock-up) and out. Just more wear and tear. Its ok for long drives at highway speed but around town is tough on the torque converter.

I didnt say anything after that and this was a while back.
http://www.justanswer.com/

I do it somtimes but like everyone says if you want to do it just get a manny.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
i have been doing that occasionally for 70K miles but nothing is wrong other than a mild slip going into 4th gear when its super cold. :(
So there is nothing wrong with you transmission other than something being wrong with it? That is what you just said.

Anyway, it's not a good idea and was not meant for that. The reason it is there is to limit gear change when climbing steep grades where 2nd gear may be more beneficial to hold onto than letting it shift to 4th and lose the necessary torque to ascend the grade.

Last edited: