Shifting an auto like a manual bad?

SketchX13

i-VTEC do you?
So there is nothing wrong with you transmission other than something being wrong with it? That is what you just said.

Anyway, it's not a good idea and was not meant for that. The reason it is there is to limit gear change when climbing steep grades where 2nd gear may be more beneficial to hold onto than letting it shift to 4th and lose the necessary torque to ascend the grade.
or in snow.. 1st and 2nd help when stuck..
Thats what those gears are meant for. Other then that your transmission will suffer in the long run, or sooner than you think. And if people do like shifting in an auto why not just get a manual or swap? It's not that difficult to learn how to drive manual!!

.Cortez

94' LS
I drive an auto and hardly ever touch the 2nd gear of 1st, unless im coming down a steep grade in the snow i'll slowly drop it into 2nd... Now I have occasionally slipped it into 3ed to get the acceleration I want but other then that nopee!

TRACK_R_DC

i have an auto also but ever since the last time i downshifted i've been scared to do it again. I was racing a friends gsr and wanted to go off a 1st gear roll, i was slowing down and downshifted from 2nd to 1st and my axle popped out and broke in half i was scared and thought i messed up the tranny but no come to find out it was the axle big relief.

IntegraGstypeR

my boys drives an auto and everytime it shifts to the next gear he lets the gas go and gasses it again so it could sound like a manual...I always tell him...when your tranny starts to break down dont ask why.

larp

bay area chillin
how bad is it to drive with my automatic 93 GS at S3 and S4 on and off the freeway? i've been doing it for a few days, and i'm pretty sure its been saving me on gas.. but is it worth it?

Last edited:

wobet

RS SPECIAL EDITION? :o
how bad is it to drive with my automatic 93 GS at S3 and S4 on and off the freeway? i've been doing it for a few days, and i'm pretty sure its been saving me on gas.. but is it worth it?
the higher the revs the more gas burning, just drive on the gear built for daily driving, or refer to your manual with the car. I had an auto 94 and i thought the gears were slipping but it turns out when the car is not warm enough it revs higher but shifting slower on purpose to keep parts from breaking in extreme tempurates. even in the early 90's they were making things like that, that are only being advertised and perfected now, like the tiptronic.

Afireinside

if you know how to shift proper then the tranny will live a longer life. you have to understand they work and this will make more sense.

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
My cousin used to shift his auto Altima like a manual... let's just say he stopped driving it a month later due to serious tranny issues.

purpl3ran93r

my uncle does it in his camry
i find it weird

if you plan to race it then a
MT is recommended

other than that keep your auto
and dont do that anymore

i have a GSR so i obviously have an MT
i love it becuz i can race it and
i find it more fun
i learned how to heel toe and
its pretty cool