Small build up thread DB7

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
For one i think its more money and trouble than its worth. plus it will never fit or work as well as the original honda engineered engine. your putting a block made for midrange power with a head made for high range. if you want more displacement just get it out of the gsr block. i was just reading something on team-integra written by their guru over there, micheal delaney. he had some well researched opinions on it.

here is a good thread on it http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ThreadPage=2&ForumID=10&TopicID=27634&PagePosition=1

with the amount of money it would cost to do the lsvtec i would rather turbo the ls, buy a gsr, or even all motor the ls motor

the results dont outweigh the cost, effort, and potential problems
I would just like to say that I would rather have a b18c1 over an LS/VTEC, but Micheal Delaney is a dumbass who is preaching shit. Some of what he said is true but most is bullshit. Also his argument between the two sucks. There is nothing wrong with a LS/VTEC motor, just because there were problems at first doesn't mean there is still problems, which is why we have now figured out how to make them work properly. Also to say that you will spend more money making the ls/vtec work then to buy a b18c1 is dumb, if thats the case then you aren't just trying to build an LS/VTEC motor.

k624ash

I would just like to say that I would rather have a b18c1 over an LS/VTEC, but Micheal Delaney is a dumbass who is preaching shit. Some of what he said is true but most is bullshit. Also his argument between the two sucks. There is nothing wrong with a LS/VTEC motor, just because there were problems at first doesn't mean there is still problems, which is why we have now figured out how to make them work properly. Also to say that you will spend more money making the ls/vtec work then to buy a b18c1 is dumb, if thats the case then you aren't just trying to build an LS/VTEC motor.
well my gsr motor cost me $1000, i think ls-v would have cost me more. I dont think he really said there was anything wrong with it, just that its not better than a gsr motor. i do see a lot of people who think that if you slap a vtec head on an ls and do nothing else to it that it will be way better than a stock gsr.
and a stock motor is going to be more reliable than an ls-v, even when its done right. Im not saying that its a ticking time bomb, just that a factory gsr motor will probably, not always, last longer.

do you think i should have passed up the deal on the motor and gone with ls/vtec?

also if we want to start a thread debating ls/v vs gsr, we can go ahead and do that elsewhere

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I've already stated my opinion in the lounge, I don't think you did anything wrong by getting that motor, I would have taken it also for 1000 dollars, I wasn't debating which is better, thats easy a b18c1, I was simply stating that he is misconstruing the facts of an LS/VTEC motor.

k624ash

I've already stated my opinion in the lounge, I don't think you did anything wrong by getting that motor, I would have taken it also for 1000 dollars, I wasn't debating which is better, thats easy a b18c1, I was simply stating that he is misconstruing the facts of an LS/VTEC motor.
im not agreeing with everything thing he says, just that an unmodified ls-v is not way better than a gsr

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
im not agreeing with everything thing he says, just that an unmodified ls-v is not way better than a gsr
Thats fine but you said "with the amount of money it would cost to do the lsvtec i would rather turbo the ls, buy a gsr, or even all motor the ls motor

the results dont outweigh the cost, effort, and potential problems"

And I just wanted to clear up that there really is no problems in doing the swap and Out of the three that you named (turbo, gsr, or N/A LS). For the most part, now not all cases, your going to get the most bang for your buck out of the LS/VTEC. I really can't say what is a better motor tho, a motor is only as good as it's treated and put together.

iphondatek

Honda tech
You know I didn't mean to start what could turn into a debat, after this maybe I'll start that thread, anyhow I don't see how either one is better, but one is faster. I only asked because you had both engines, and if I understand you spent just as much going through that C1 as you would have needed to go LS Vtec, Did you get the harness and Ecu or did you just run the solenoid to the ECU. If you got the ECU as well for 1k, that is good.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You know I didn't mean to start what could turn into a debat, after this maybe I'll start that thread, anyhow I don't see how either one is better, but one is faster. I only asked because you had both engines, and if I understand you spent just as much going through that C1 as you would have needed to go LS Vtec, Did you get the harness and Ecu or did you just run the solenoid to the ECU. If you got the ECU as well for 1k, that is good.
Please we don't need any which is better threads, they serve no purpose. You can't compare two different motors, it's all what you are looking for. Thats like saying which is better N/A or Boost, see pointless.

Last edited:

k624ash

yea i got the harness and ecu with the motor

you dont think turboing the ls is more bang for your buck? thats what i would have done but my ls was kinda high mileage

iphondatek

Honda tech
Please we don't need any which is better threads, they serve no purpose. You can't compare two different motors, it's all what you are looking for. Thats like saying which is better N/A or Boost, see pointless.
your right, after what I read of yours in the other forum I had decided that would be a poor decision on my part.

k624ash

i started it up, but it isn't running very nice. It occurred to me that my tank is full of 87. Can i buy an octane booster to raise the octane of the gas in my tank? Also any particular brand that i should get? or how much i should use?

k624ash

I started the motor, it doesnt sound very good though. I think it might be because the tank is still full of 87.
compression test results are
245 230 240 225

heres some pics

iphondatek

Honda tech
Looks good, real good, I like the white 4th gen. What headlights are those, they don't look stock, or is it just the pic?