So, I'm considering an RSX...

kleenkreativ

I actually, at one point, was deciding the same thing at the beginning of this year. My DB8 was giving me problems after problems and it started making me question whether I should keep my 96 Teg. And I do love the 04/05 look when fixed up with a nice paint job & body kit. They also have the i-Vtec with the K series engine.
Your also looking at the Mini Cooper as well. And they too have positives, such as the sporty and very compact look.
Unfortunately, the grass isn't greener on the other side, as some may say. Yes, the RSX or Integra S does have a newer look, but they honestly don't have anymore power than that of the 3rd Generation Type R or GS-R Integras. The RSX is heavier and does not come with the superb wishbone suspension at all corners. So, if I was to go with the RSX...it would be purely for better looks. And even that can be debated. The third generation Integra is the most recognizable Integra ever. When "Integra" is mentioned, the third generation integra is what pops to mind. If you honestly think about it...more and more of the third generation have become almost classic cars. The sleek design of the third generation and performance of the B Series engines really makes it a "must-have".
(I know I'll get ridiculed for saying the B series is better than the K series because some people say the K-series is considered by some to be the best engine Honda has ever released, but overall-i disagree)
As for BMW's Mini Cooper....they're again only for looks. Some will tell you to go for the Cooper S package, but again it's not better than the performance you would get out of you Teg. You would think it would be substantially lighter, but it's a little over 100 pounds lighter-that's all. Unless you get the supercharged edition, the power is null and void. However, it does look really nice and I wouldn't mind owning one myself because they are made very well, they have the a nice suspension on it(duh BMW), they have longevity and they keep their value like you wouldn't believe....which also makes it hard to own one.
Then again...i'm bias....but who wouldn't be bias about their Teg after you read up on the history of the Third Generation models. I'm not saying I would NEVER own another car, but I will NEVER sell it either.
p.s. The other car I WOULD DEFINATELY OWN WOULD BE a Subaru..preferrably the WRX...All Wheel Drive baby!!
Yeah, I mean, I'd like it to have some power, but it's not my main concern, so that's not really an issue for me. I mostly need a newer, nicer ride (mine wasn't taken care of and is pretty much a shitbox) that has some juice, gets good mileage and looks sharp. If I do end up getting an RSX, though, I will definitely try and find an RSX-S with iV-Tech.

The cons for the Cooper for me are: I've never worked on one at all, so I know next to nothing about them, where as have a decent amount of experience with Hondas.
Parts - I imagine they are sky high and hard to get for a Cooper. Not so much for the RSX, I don't think - there's even a Japanese auto place here in town...passed it on the way back to work from lunch.

Not only that, but it'd be cool to have the only RSX in town - I've seen many Coopers around here (but WAY more new Camaros - people have money around here, obviously.)

kleenkreativ

Tough to say, really. I'd prefer to spend under $10k, if possible, which I think would be a much easier goal to reach with an RSX. Coopers aren't going for a bad price, but an '07 is running around $17k+.

jznsn2u

Tough to say, really. I'd prefer to spend under $10k, if possible, which I think would be a much easier goal to reach with an RSX. Coopers aren't going for a bad price, but an '07 is running around $17k+.
You could get an older gen rsx, fully built teg or an ap1 if you want to keep in the 'honda' community. You could get a bug eye wrx too :p

jznsn2u

You can also get a hardtop for an AP2. Plus the AP2 has better suspension geometry. The AP1 has more of a "twitchy-butt" characteristic.
Hard top's are freakin expensive :cry: I like the front/rear lights and rims of the ap2. Op, would you consider rwd?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
You can also get a hardtop for an AP2. Plus the AP2 has better suspension geometry. The AP1 has more of a "twitchy-butt" characteristic.
It's faster that way if you know how to use it :naughty:

OP, The RSX Type-S is a nice car for daily driving. They run into a lot of problems when you start modifying and lowering the suspension, and they have never been the handling performer that the DC/DB/DA chassis were. If you're looking for a daily with some easy power potential, it's not a bad choice. Don't expect to get a world-class track or touge car without lots or work and money though. Good luck :D

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
The newer the better. The first run of RSX's had some issues. Im not sure if they cleared those problems up, but the newer models should have less bugs.

I think Adel has a 04, and had tranny problems.
i have an 05 and yes my tranny is a damn piece of shit.
my friend has an 05-06 @ 50k miles, he just recently got his tranny recalled.
they never actually recalled them. (fuck honda for this... selling a faulty product and not manning up and fixing it) however depending on the situation some trannys were fixed for little or no cost to: 1 the ORIGINAL owner, 2 Lower Miles, 3 actually taking apart the trans to make sure there wasnt "excessive wear" and if there was "excessive wear" then your ass is paying 4 g's for a new trans
Wow, really? They have that many transmission problems?
Were these auto or manual transmissions?
they are all 6-spds in the type-s
Oh, snap! :(
Something tells me, though, that he drove the shit out of it. Am I right? lol
no... it doesnt matter how you drive the car. it happens to almost every single one of them sooner or later. i wish i knew it was such an issue before i got mine...
As long as you take good care of your car, I'm sure you won't run into problems. Change the transmission fluid regularly and rev match when you downshift. It'll be better for the synchros.
actually... none of that matters in the case of the DC5S. there are faulty parts in the slides between the gears and honda refused to fix the problem. even today if you have a trans "fixed" all they do is replace the parts so they can go bad again in 1-90K miles

It's faster that way if you know how to use it :naughty:

OP, The RSX Type-S is a nice car for daily driving. They run into a lot of problems when you start modifying and lowering the suspension, and they have never been the handling performer that the DC/DB/DA chassis were. If you're looking for a daily with some easy power potential, it's not a bad choice. Don't expect to get a world-class track or touge car without lots or work and money though. Good luck :D
now i will say... my DC5 sitting on A-Spec suspensing and 4 season tires was keeping up with an E92M3 in the turns in the mountains. so they handle awesome. they are just pieces of shit.
Thanks for all the tips, guys.
I'm leaning more and more towards the RSX now than Mini Cooper, at least! ;)
this is just me... and i really do LOVE my car! when it fucking runs well and works... these cars have a LOT of common problems that arent published too much. the Transmissions are a potentially 4K dollar problem which can happen any time. and it WILL happen... its just a matter of when. The o2 sensors go out right at about 90K miles, i am lucky and this hasnt happened... yet. The master or slave cylinder will go out on you too by 100K give or take 40K. (this is a cheap and easy fix, $500 done by a prof mechanic including towing) but it would really suck if it happened to go out when your say... 500 miles from home. I am on my second set of axles and if i were keeping the car would probably need a third set in 10K miles (im only lowered .75in in the front and 1in in the rear). Oh and the axles are $800 a PIECE! at the dealership if you want to stay OEM. I think one of my wheels bearings is bad ( the slight drone kinda gives it away). honestly other than the power/build quality of the K20A2 and Z1 honda REALLY FUCKED UP with this car... for the price its nice, and it drives awesome and is a chick magnet. but the quality of the car is complete shit. this has just been my experience, and some people never have this. but most do have these problems and its not worth the head ache. this car in a lot of ways has turned me off to anything honda has put out in the last 5 years. with that said honda is still a great company and 95% of their stuff is awesome! but they dropped the ball with this car. if i knew what i know now a little more than a year ago... i would be driving a subaru. and this car is the reason im getting a truck instead. im sick of the head aches, sick of worrying that every cop is gonna pull me over, and im sick of wondering if its ok for me to drive to school or not... hope this helps.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
oh yeah... one more thing. if you want to pay the maintenance costs of a BMW then get a BMW. not a bitch car... LOL

jznsn2u

this is just me... and i really do LOVE my car! when it fucking runs well and works... these cars have a LOT of common problems that arent published too much. the Transmissions are a potentially 4K dollar problem which can happen any time. and it WILL happen... its just a matter of when. The o2 sensors go out right at about 90K miles, i am lucky and this hasnt happened... yet. The master or slave cylinder will go out on you too by 100K give or take 40K. (this is a cheap and easy fix, $500 done by a prof mechanic including towing) but it would really suck if it happened to go out when your say... 500 miles from home. I am on my second set of axles and if i were keeping the car would probably need a third set in 10K miles (im only lowered .75in in the front and 1in in the rear). Oh and the axles are $800 a PIECE! at the dealership if you want to stay OEM. I think one of my wheels bearings is bad ( the slight drone kinda gives it away). honestly other than the power/build quality of the K20A2 and Z1 honda REALLY FUCKED UP with this car... for the price its nice, and it drives awesome and is a chick magnet. but the quality of the car is complete shit. this has just been my experience, and some people never have this. but most do have these problems and its not worth the head ache. this car in a lot of ways has turned me off to anything honda has put out in the last 5 years. with that said honda is still a great company and 95% of their stuff is awesome! but they dropped the ball with this car. if i knew what i know now a little more than a year ago... i would be driving a subaru. and this car is the reason im getting a truck instead. im sick of the head aches, sick of worrying that every cop is gonna pull me over, and im sick of wondering if its ok for me to drive to school or not... hope this helps.
My friend that has the dc5S I was talking about said the same thing, 'I should've got a wrx'

oh yeah... one more thing. if you want to pay the maintenance costs of a BMW then get a BMW. not a bitch car... LOL
hahah x2.