1987 Integra RS

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
I didnt know that, thats awesome. Im completely a noob with Honda engines lol. I've seen some performance engine parts through AndysAutoSport.com. Not the best place for parts in my opinion but they have some. The engine really does run great though, a slightly lumpy idle from the stock downpipe exhaust leak but thats it. Just the end links broke, I found a set from Energy Suspension for around $20. What size are the stock endlinks, 16mm or 18mm? Im on the north east coast but fortunately for me there is junkyard about 20 minutes away that is typically full of Hondas. Would the manual transmission from a 84-87 CRX/Civic swap over to the da16a1? I highly doubt Ill find a 87- 88 first gen. Integra there. Ill just put a K&N drop in filter for a stock replacement for air intake then. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

I didnt know that, thats awesome. Im completely a noob with Honda engines lol. I've seen some performance engine parts through AndysAutoSport.com. Not the best place for parts in my opinion but they have some. The engine really does run great though, a slightly lumpy idle from the stock downpipe exhaust leak but thats it. Just the end links broke, I found a set from Energy Suspension for around $20. What size are the stock endlinks, 16mm or 18mm? Im on the north east coast but fortunately for me there is junkyard about 20 minutes away that is typically full of Hondas. Would the manual transmission from a 84-87 CRX/Civic swap over to the da16a1? I highly doubt Ill find a 87- 88 first gen. Integra there. Ill just put a K&N drop in filter for a stock replacement for air intake then. Thanks for the info.
For the love of God DO NOT buy from Andy's. Just take one look at their BBB page. Horrendous. They were sued several times and lost because of their horrid service. I bought my rims from them. According to them they were on back order 'for two to three weeks.' I didn't get my rims till three MONTHS later.

As for the air intake, I have the top of my airbox off with a k&n filter and I can feel the difference from a stock filter with a closed airbox. Intake is sooooo loud lol. :D

For the tranny, any d series transmission should fit. Since it's an auto you don't have to worry about cable or hydro. You could buy either or. You will need all the other parts for a manual swap but you probably already know that lol. Will also need a manual ECU.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
Wow thats a long time to wait. Looks like Ill forget about ever ordering from them. So basically you just took the black plastic cover off the top of the stock air box? How does the filter stay put? It would seem to me like it would or could move around while driving like if you mistakenly hit a pot hole or something. I know all the parts I need for the swap I just was unsure as to what transmission would be a direct bolt on to the d16a1 engine. Im going to check out the junkyard next time I get paid. I might be able to do the swap sooner then later if the CRXs arent picked to the bone. Its been 1 day and I miss driving my Integra already. I can't wait to order the new endlinks and get the car back on the road.

TheCrimsonStar

Wow thats a long time to wait. Looks like Ill forget about ever ordering from them. So basically you just took the black plastic cover off the top of the stock air box? How does the filter stay put? It would seem to me like it would or could move around while driving like if you mistakenly hit a pot hole or something. I know all the parts I need for the swap I just was unsure as to what transmission would be a direct bolt on to the d16a1 engine. Im going to check out the junkyard next time I get paid. I might be able to do the swap sooner then later if the CRXs arent picked to the bone. Its been 1 day and I miss driving my Integra already. I can't wait to order the new endlinks and get the car back on the road.
Order from the Tuner Sports store here on clubintegra. I've ordered multiple parts from there. Great prices, and fast and FREE shipping. The air filter is pretty tightly in the intake tube believe it or not. I got my teg without the top of the airbox and the filter stays put. It's a round filter that goes directly into the intake tube, unlike most others where it's sitting freely inside the airbox, just clamped down. There's also this groove in the bottom of the air box that keeps it in place as well. Idk about your d16a1 but the airbox looks identical to my b18b1's box so it should have the same round filter.

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
Il check on here for parts but Ill probably go with what is cheapest due to tight budget. I thought you meant you had the stock rectangular air filter in but I see what youre talking about. I think they are about the same, I might try it out when I get my car back on the road. I cleaned the filter the day I brought it home, it does need to be replaced though.

enoch723

no the only transmission known to fit the 16a1 right know the stock cg transmission. If your willing to drill new holes to bolt in then you might be able to but the bolt pattern for the d16a1 doesnt match up quite right with other d series. The only know bolt in is the ZC. I know it sucks.

Realistically the best modification you can do is is do an internal ZC swap. It will hard to find another ZC engine cause mot of them are single cam and have been destroyed from the previous owner trying to race it. But when your in the junk yard just check every honda civic hatchback.

ZC's were in imported hatchbacks mostly. Its the Japanese equivalent to the d16a1 but with more lift and compression. After the swap you will gain about 50 hp assuming you have an exhaust system on as well.

Which your going to have one hell of a time find a ZC cause when they imported JDM cars, they were all over here on the west coast. Out of all the times I have gone to pick n pulls looking for the ZC all across the west coast. I found 2 and only one of them was worth some of my time. I was only able to get the cams and gears and the valves. Everything else had scaring or rust.

I would get a hold of Danny Way on facebook. He owns and runs northwest classic honda's and tell him what you need and I can guarantee he either has it or will get it for you

enoch723

Order from the Tuner Sports store here on clubintegra. I've ordered multiple parts from there. Great prices, and fast and FREE shipping. The air filter is pretty tightly in the intake tube believe it or not. I got my teg without the top of the airbox and the filter stays put. It's a round filter that goes directly into the intake tube, unlike most others where it's sitting freely inside the airbox, just clamped down. There's also this groove in the bottom of the air box that keeps it in place as well. Idk about your d16a1 but the airbox looks identical to my b18b1's box so it should have the same round filter.

the round filters are known as pod filters and you will still loss horsepower unless you have other mods done. Even with other mods done, you wont be gaining anything, the engine is just less restricted if you go to turbo it

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
I thought you meant any d series was a bolt up type deal but I get what you mean. You have to mod the transmission to fit which Im not doing. I guess I keep the automatic until I one day run into someone parting out a first gen. close by or the junkyard randomly gets one in. What is a ZC internal swap? Basically engine wise all I need is a stock exhaust downpipe since I have the leak and its messing with my idle alittle. Will a header for the CRX/Civic fit on the Integra? I seem to be finding more luck with headers then stock components. As far as the intake goes I guess I will be leaving that stock than too other then a drop in replacement filter.

enoch723

A ZC is the japanese equal the d16a1. They are ONLY in imported 1st gen civic hatchbacks as far as I know. Most of them are single cam too. An internal swap meaning you take the internals from the ZC like the domed pistons and rings, cams and gears, valves springs and retainers and maybe even rocker heads.. I dont know if the rockers are swappable though.

And as for the stock header, In less you find a good one, I wouldnt worry about it. Its already a decent 4in1 short cast steal header. I plan on just routing off some of the extra casting and heat wrapping it.

As for the CG transmission, You can get Danny Way to ship one to you probably for fairly cheap. He is the man I go to for anything. He is the one that got me my front torsion bars, valve cover and even found me SE side skirts, spoiler, and center console
You have to realize with a first gen integra, there is VERY few modders(me being one) Most of the people that have one have it for the history it carry's. Believe me, the d15a1 can be a power house if done right. Its the same block, head and general set up of the honda F1 racers. Its just a bitch in a half to find parts for it.

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
Okay I understand now. When I go to the junkyard I'll check to see if there are any first gen. Civics there. Im looking for either the stock replacement for the downpipe or an aftermarket header. The exhaust manifold and rest of the exhaust is fine. I've seen headers made for the CRX but I dont know if it will fit right on the Integra. That is where my question came from. Im having a hard time finding just the stock downpipe. Im interested in modding my first gen. but I knew when I bought it modding it would be hard since its a fairly rare old Honda. There are very few of these on the road that I know of in my area. I own the first one Ive ever seen. For now Im just trying to bring this car back to being a safe daily driver and then I can start to try and mod it. It would be cool to have an aftermarket header though to open up the exhaust and it adds a nice look over stock manifold.

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
I found a stock downpipe from Danny Carlson from g1teg.org/classic club Integra/NW Honda on Facebook. We both are unsure if the stock downpipe is the same for all first gen. Integra engines since they did the upgrade with the distributor and stuff on the black top engines. I believe the one he has is from a black top engine. Anyone know if it will be a direct bolt up on my 87?

I ordered end links and sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension last night. My parts should be here by Tuesday and as soon as they arrive Im installing the end links and getting the Teg back on the road. I miss driving it!

Last edited:

enoch723

Im not sure if it will bolt up or not, but the brown tops and black tops are the same bolting wise. Only even different is brown tops are vaccum advance black tops are electronic advance

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
j13 - Thanks man! It will be a nicer car in a few months once I get a chance to dump some cash into it. I knew the difference between distributors and I assumed the bolting pattern was the same but I wanted to be 100% sure before I buy the part. Thanks for help enoch723

enoch723

No problem. If you run into any snags with it go a head and pm me. Simple things to keep in mind. Cam seals tend to go out around 150k miles, main relay tends to go out around 200k miles, and always check the spark plug seals cause they sometimes tend to leak. Other then that though, should be fine other then the obvious stuff like EACV and throttle body getting dirty and stuff like that. Lol