Bike talk: Motorcycle/Scooter chat thread!

Which one?

• Shark Speed-R Ike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shark Speed-R Sauer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R13

The other asshole
Saw this on IG, hence the shitty crop.

This would be a good general style for the sumo since that’s what the original seat/graphics would’ve been.

R13

The other asshole
Nope, just their custom covers which I don’t like.

There’s a few on eBay, the ads are kinda sketchy though. They say they’re specifically for the R, but the stock photo shows it on a 650L, but for $45 I don’t suppose it would be terrible if it didn’t fit and they wouldn’t give me my money back.

That black seat cover on it has to go though, it fits like shit, and it’s hard as a damn rock. I’m guessing that was a homemade job.

R13

The other asshole
Fuck... I took both of the bikes out today and had like an hour and a half of footage... GoPro’s internal mic apparently died, there’s no damn audio.

Had some pretty good woods footage on Chungus...

R13

The other asshole
If you’ll remember I dropped it in water out of the case too and for the longest time it would turn itself on if you left the battery in it [emoji23]

The hero 2 still has an external mic input, but I don’t have a mic.

I might look into some of the knockoff gopros

R13

The other asshole
This one for $59.99 looks pretty solid with seven fucking thousand reviews and still 4.5 stars [emoji23]

R13

The other asshole
Sumo does indeed just need a 2” baffle tube, and some repacking. The pieces to hold the tube in place are still there.

In time I think I’ll get a cone style end cap too, but it’s not a priority.

94RS

No fucks given.
Are you gonna strip the shitty paint off and polish the muffler? Maybe get a new decal for it?

R13

The other asshole
100% yes on stripping it, and about a 95% chance on polishing it.

If I could achieve a nice brushed finish with scotchbrite I would consider leaving it that way, but I think the polished would still look better.

Polished with a CF end cap would look real nice once the rest of the bike is looking better.

Btw: Should I try to get the top triple clamp reanodized red, and anodize the GPR unit to match, or just powder coat/paint them black? I’m planning on putting black protaper bars on it.

This is the shit mess it is now, judging from the wear on everything I’d say this bike has been a sumo for a long time.

94RS

No fucks given.
Polished with CF end cap sounds best of the given options. Decal though or just plain?

As for red anodize, it’s expensive for what it is and doesn’t last for shit. Sometimes (rarely) we do colors (blue, green, red) depending on the customer, but normally we just do clear and black and send the colored shit to another company right down the road.

Powder coat would probably be cheapest if you could blast the pieces yourself.

When the time comes and you’ve got the money, I would do a black hardcoat (much thicker than type 2/standard) anodize. Won’t chip like powder coat can since it’s a chemical process that colors into the metal rather than a layer on top like paint/powder.

^ not from the company I work for

This one actually is from us. The center piece (brake hat) is our black hardcoat. Fucking guy runs the place out of his garage [emoji23]

Google “type 3 black anodize” for more examples.

R13

The other asshole
Maybe I’ll just blast and paint them for now. The YZ’s triples are rattle canned and even though I don’t ride it, it gets shit piled on top of it and they still aren’t scratched or chipped.

Would be nice to see the GPR anodized like that though and have the logo etched back into it.

I’m unsure on the decal for the pipe. It has a metal pressed/indented plate riveted on so I may just polish it too and leave it. You’ll still be able to read T4 on it, but it’ll be subtle.

I also still have a can of VHT wrinkle red... I could do that on the top triple for a temp job [emoji23]

94RS

No fucks given.
Save up, ship the shit out here and I could probably get it done for cheap...I just ran around Tampa doing personal shit for the production manager last week, so he owes me one [emoji23]

As for the laser etching, we use a place around the corner that does laser engraving. I had the fuse box panel I made for the SS done there and they only charged me $10.

Mine is powdered, so the engraving steps down a tiny bit. Laser engraved anodize would look more flush like this

R13

The other asshole
Perfect. If I didn’t favor Chungus I’d have my cam seal logo engraved into it... but I’m thinking about getting dlo to make me a cam seal for Chungus, shipping it straight to you to be anodized black if he doesn’t have a good anodizing option, then have the R13 logo engraved into it... that’ll just be a fucking $50-$80 cam seal [emoji23]

Reason why I haven’t even touched the sumo yet tho aside from being piled up to my neck in shit is I’m trying to get a game plan in my head on where to start on it. I wanna do a partial tear down to check the valves, oil pump gear, and a bunch of random clearances to make sure it’s healthy first, check the carb to make sure it’s tuned properly, front forks need to be rebuilt. I’ve been reading the service manual to try and find the best angle of attack. Once I know how the engine is, if everything’s good then I really start tearing into cosmetics and any aftermarket mods I wanna add. I know for sure I want rid of that bird brained fucking Chinese klx headlight, and that useless little chode acerbis sumo fender.

Planning on using an ‘08 450r fender slightly trimmed down, and maybe the trail tech x2, or the polisport exura headlight.

For Chungus I think I’m gonna use an 8” round light if I can find a good one. As cool as the big Baja light like that looks, I need one that’s actually useful on the road and not just a giant spot/fog lamp [emoji23]