Boxy's Beautiful Build Thread

Boxy

Wow been a while since I've had an update for this thread! Hahah just put in an order for Stop-Tech Blank Rotors and Hawk HPS pads!

Goodbye screeching, squealing, bitching brakes! New parts should be in soon, I'll put up pictures as soon as I get em within the next two weeks.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Got three coats of base coat on before the 1/2oz OEM Touch up paint bottle died.

Here are some pics of it now, I'll clearcoat it in an hour or two and then wet sand that baby tomorrow and finally polish.

And just for lulz, my sister patched a polka-dotted heart on my seat 'cause it had a tear:

I also filled my A/C, finally blows cold air again <3 Perfect for 70%+ humidity and temp in the 80s!
But whenever my A/C is on, white smoke comes out of the exhaust, not a lot, but a little. Is that normal?
um....really?

Boxy

um....really?
Yes, really. I'm from a single income family and my dad is trying to put my older sister through college right now and I'm heading off this fall. We never had much money and still don't, so I make do with what I can. Is that a problem?

SkeetShooter

Beautiful come along on the build, giving me inspiration to fix up my rust and junk >:) but glad to see your doing what you can with your income, and glad to see you wanna further your education :ThumbsUp:

Boxy

Thanks! I might actually have to re-sand all that stuff, the winter brought out the worst in my car. I'll hopefully get a nice 20 oz can of paint so it looks neater this time, but I have so much to do still.

Aside from the brakes I just ordered, I now need to replace my CV joints because they're creaking when coming to a stop/turning. Never changed a CV joint before so this should be interesting; it looks pretty laborious.

I'm glad I gave you inspiration! haha I just hate the way rust looks on a car, I'd rather have splotchy paint than rust, ya know?

SkeetShooter

Thanks! I might actually have to re-sand all that stuff, the winter brought out the worst in my car. I'll hopefully get a nice 20 oz can of paint so it looks neater this time, but I have so much to do still.

Aside from the brakes I just ordered, I now need to replace my CV joints because they're creaking when coming to a stop/turning. Never changed a CV joint before so this should be interesting; it looks pretty laborious.

I'm glad I gave you inspiration! haha I just hate the way rust looks on a car, I'd rather have splotchy paint than rust, ya know?
Exactly how I feel, just take your time and learn that's what i've been doing, i've learned alot already. and i need to fix my rust as well , i have a SH*T load. (FML)

Boxy

Exactly how I feel, just take your time and learn that's what i've been doing, i've learned alot already. and i need to fix my rust as well , i have a SH*T load. (FML)
Yeah haha, after all what are first cars for if not for getting a feel for it? Good luck with the rust haha, its a really tedious process, even though I only had a little to take care of.

Boxy

So here's a bit of an update:

My rotors and pads came in over the last two weeks. Here are some pics (my phone died before I could take pics of the pads opened up):

Anyway my dad and I changed my brakes yesterday. First time ever doing disc brakes (we've done drums before on our minivan), but god the rear brakes are such a bitch!

We got the fronts done in a couple hours, but the rears we just couldn't get. The pin that holds the ebrake line to the rotor was so rusted we basically had to tear it to bring it out, and then the little bolt that slides in and out just won't move. It's actually rusted so much that its impossible to move. My dad said next week we'll buy new bolts and pins and just drill those suckers out. Anyone else had a problem with the rusted pin and bolt holding the e-brake cable in the back? Any suggestions on how to do it aside from drilling it out?

Also if I do have to drill it out, anyone know where I could get one of those bolts? idk what size they are lol

ATEGGY94

Also if I do have to drill it out, anyone know where I could get one of those bolts? idk what size they are lol[/QUOTE]

go to the website you got your antenna plug from there under front brakes category its like .40 cents

Boxy

Also if I do have to drill it out, anyone know where I could get one of those bolts? idk what size they are lol
go to the website you got your antenna plug from there under front brakes category its like .40 cents[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Now my dad and I can go to town on it with a drill haha.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
What are you talking about? The ebrake line attaches to the brake caliper, not the rotor, it took me 15 minutes to do rear brakes in my car. They are exactly the same as the front just reversed. The worst case scenario is when the screws that hold the rotors to the hub rust in to the point they need to be drilled, in which case you dont need those anyway, drill them out, remove the rotor, and put the new one back on.

Boxy

Yeah sorry I meant the caliper, my bad. And that's exactly the bolt I'm talking about in that picture lol (small one in the top highlighted circle)

We managed to pull the pin out, but the bolt won't slide out cause it's so rusted so we're gonna have to drill it.
I found the part number anyway so I just gotta pick it up from the dealership and do the brakes next weekend.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Yeah sorry I meant the caliper, my bad. And that's exactly the bolt I'm talking about in that picture lol (small one in the top highlighted circle)

We managed to pull the pin out, but the bolt won't slide out cause it's so rusted so we're gonna have to drill it.
I found the part number anyway so I just gotta pick it up from the dealership and do the brakes next weekend.
Ok i was worried for a second that maybe you were talking about drilling out the slide pins.