Brz/fr-s vs. Itr

99TegLs

Hey all!
If anyone remembers my thread from over a year ago, you might remember I "purchased" a BRZ then traded to an earlier model WRX. Well, I lied as to the reason i traded down. I couldn't afford the BRZ as it seemed.
NOW! I have pre-ordered the 2014 model in WRB, just the premium trim 6MT. And the same thing comes to my mind every time I get to drive it.... It seems like it was based off the ITR, just designed to be a RWD car with a different powerplant. I don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but what do you guys think? Is it even a good comparison? Honda vs. Toyobaru Fwd vs. Rwd? 15 years ago vs. modern? Let me know what you think!

cvcrcr99

wut. I assume something change financially in your life? Otherwise, you couldn't afford one last year, why hurt your credit more so?

How did you come to the conclusion that the BRZ was modeled after the ITR? Nothing is similar except for the hp being around ~200 and that they have 2 doors

2kdb7

The only way they are kinda the same is that they were built with the driver in mind.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
They were built with the driver in mind. But, they were marketed completely different. lets look at some facts, ill keep this brief.

ITR
Marketed as a race car for the street
lightened from base model (because modifications were heavy)
Bigger brakes
different wheels and tires
stitch welded chassis

BRZ/FRS/FT86
marketed as "the new AE86"
made to go sideways

on one hand, you have a boy racer's car and on the other you have a car to hoon. IMO they are completely different. Only car on the market i think is "equivalent" to the ITR in terms of what is is would be the MX-5 club sport. Or the MX=5 20th anniversary concept.

2kdb7

Mx5 is a lot more fun to drive. It may not be as fast but you will have a better time

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Basing it off what I see from people running the br-z in my class at track days, I would prefer my Gsr. It's tough to base like that since idk how well they drive compared to myself or how comfortable they feel compared to me but that's my thought

99TegLs

My credit wasn't bad. I bought a condo, so it had to go. Priorities ftw. Got a sizable raise so its plauseable now. I noticed that after doing a direct comparison, they have a very similar wheelbase, hp/liter, driver placement, close weights, and it is a very driver focused car. The differences I see are that one has full wishbone suspension, is fwd, revs much higher with a loped powerband, and of course was marketed as a race ready car. The other has rear wishbone suspension, rwd, has constant torque throughout the rev range, is updated to 2013 and is equipted as such. OG you think stock for stock a gsr would be your choice?

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I can see where you make the correlation. Both cars were designed with the driver in mind. BRZ/FRS is about handling, low-weight and fun to drive. We all know about the ITR...

For $27k, I can think of some other performance cars I'd be interested in such as a low mileage AP1/AP2 or even an NSX.

CokeSlap

I can see where you make the correlation. Both cars were designed with the driver in mind. BRZ/FRS is about handling, low-weight and fun to drive. We all know about the ITR...

For $27k, I can think of some other performance cars I'd be interested in such as a low mileage AP1/AP2 or even an NSX.
That would be one nice Ap1/Ap2. It would be tough to beat a NSX for that price as well.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
If you are looking for a brand new car, then yeah probably one of the better choices.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would wait to see how much the new infinity costs. thats supposed to be "the new integra". Sebastien Vettel also helped develop it.