CAI or SRI?

Dextras41

i have a 94 integra ls and i was wondering which is better a cai or a sri for power and price. i have heard of people putting on cai and sucking water into their engines so that scares me alittle or a they full of bologna? And also if i get a ebay one should i get a k&n or aem filter for it because it probably cheap? THANKS FOR THE HELP:)

Teggy64

Got vtec?
If you live in an area that's prone to flooding id probably shy away from a cai. As for filters both companies make quality filters. I have an aem on my short ram and it's done just fine.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

Thats the difference on my motor with an SRI vs CAI. The red is with a SRI and the green is a CAI. They change the characteristics of the motor a lot.

DB7ish

The way I see it, the colder the air going into your intake the better. If you can make a legit CAI box which does not allow air from the engine bay to flow into it, and you have some way to route air from outside of the engine bay into the airbox then you are set. Just make sure there is no way for water to flow into it as well. Also, make all components from plastic instead of metal to prevent heatsoak. And use a large but not excessive size filter to allow good air flow.

I'm not sure if you have the space for it in a Honda engine bay, but if you do then you can try to make a rubbermaid heat shield.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning/105800-3-95-diy-heat-shield-cold-air-intake.html

Then make some custom piping/tubing with some sort of funnel at the end of it and route that into the box as well. I think you guys have the icebox intake which is based on that idea.

Last edited:

94RS

No fucks given.
^ So... Basically either a K&N FIPK or a Comptech/CT Engineering icebox.

DB7ish

Well, I'm not sure if the FIPK completely encloses your intake from air from the engine bay, if so then yes with custom piping to bring in air from the outside. Honestly, if you can find the right materials and make sense of how to properly flow air to limit curves, draw from cool areas, prevent water intake, and prevent heat soak then you can make a custom setup just as effective as an intake you would pay $150-$200 for. But with you want something track tested and proven, and doubt your skills then there is nothing wrong with paying the extra money.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I ordered a CT icebox, check the inlinefour product review of it on Youtube.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
If you like hitting giant pools of water when it rains like I do, than stay away from a CAI :lol:. Some good info in here!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I ordered a CT icebox, check the inlinefour product review of it on Youtube.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

I could probably have saved you money on one. CT is next to my work lol. I actually passed them when I was getting a headlight for my 4Runner at lunch lol

DB7ish

I'm still running the stock intake. But I've done custom intake on my last 3 rides. I'll probably pass by my local marine supply store and try to find some 3 1/2 or 4 inch hose or tubing, get a K&N RU-5111 cone filter at a speed shop for $35 (might have to go with a smaller filter for this one though), an appropriate size Rubbermaid, and a funnel or cone and work something out soon.

This guy made a decent effort, but I think his cone filter was too big for the box, he didn't enclose the box, and he used some sort of aluminum ducting which also had a very ugly intake area at the end.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?125588-Cold-Air-Intake-DIY-DC2-stealth-intake-lt-150

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
I could probably have saved you money on one. CT is next to my work lol. I actually passed them when I was getting a headlight for my 4Runner at lunch lol

I paid like $211 from thmotorsports and just bought a ITR intake arm. They are like backorder or something because I ordered one in April and still haven't gotten it :roll:

Sent from my iPhone 2g