Car randomly shuts off while driving

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Alrighty, my car randomly shut off while i was at a stop light today. This isnt the first time it happened either. The battery light was on and I cranked it a few times, turned off my ac,heater, radio etc and then it magically started. Driving along the highway stuck in traffic, approximately 10 mins or so, my car was wanting to shut off. I dropped a gear to see if i can get it going but it was just coasting and sputtering so i pulled over. The car was still on but a cel 14 came on and my idle was fluctuating. I turned my car off pulled the battery. Started it up and it ran normal again. This usually happens when on the highway in traffic. This is starting to annoy me and is about time i fixed it. I just want to get put in the right direction on where i should begin. Sorry for the long post :/

I'm gonna check my main relay and distributor stuff to see if that could be a possible cause of the problem.

MrGurley

************5-0
my car used to do similar shit, but idk exactly what the issue was seeing as it was completely rebuilt and everything was replaced so sorry for the useless post lol

but it was on warmer days in traffic

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Test your coil and your ICM. Use a volt meter on your coil and use a test light on your ICM. I believe the coil should test at 12v. When mine went bad it tested at 9 and did something similar to your car. with fuel and spark disabled, have a friend crank the car while you put the test light on the ICM. If it lights up, you're good. I believe there is a write up on this floating around somewhere. Also, longer shot but your fuel pump could be going (although when they go bad they usually completely stop working).

junior1023

Same thing happened to mine a few years back. For week, was such a pain. I finally bought a dizzy of craigslist, swapped over the coil and ICM and it never happened again

OneFastGSR

My civic use to do that with my old distributor. Definately try another distributor if possible. Thought i'd post since it's happened to me before even though like 500 people already said distributor. Lol

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
Car died In traffic again today. It's starting to become more frequent. Usually i can go months without it happening. I changed the icm off another dizzy that I know works, but it doesn't mean It isn't the dizzy. I checked my main relay and it looks fine but that also doesn't mean it isn't the problem. I'll be driving down the highway and my engine will just cut off and then my battery light will come on.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
okay update time! my car died twice on my way home from school. I tried to start it again but this time it wouldnt start. I noticed that the cel doesnt light up when turn the key to the second click. So i tried turn it on a few more times and then when the cel does come on, then my car starts? idk what is going on but its getting progressively worse.