Fresh Type-R Guide line

quickmr2

So... What is getting my ecu chipped mean? Is it something I add to my ECU, or do I need to replace it. The only other car I built up was my MR2. That I bought an AEM ECU. But I don't want to spend 1700 on the ECU just to get some bolt on's to get more power. Do they make something like a Cobb Port but for Honda?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Exhaust: You already have that taken car of.
Theres an assumption right there. We should ask what exhaust he has first to be sure.

Also you havent said yet what your goal with the car is besides that you want more power, stay n/a and want to rev higher later down the line. What purpose does your intent to modify the car serve for you? Road race, drag race, smash a mustang, perhaps a hp goal, spending limit, look cool on paper, look fast on the highway, sound fast on the highway? Side of potatoes?

The first things that will free up power is breathing. Intake/exhaust. Without spending lots of money a few bolt ons will net you some additional power. Once u get closer to 185-195whp you will have to start dishing out a lot more money and get into heavier modifications to achieve greater power. This is also why most people say you need to set a goal and figure out how youre gonna get there. There are steps you could have skipped or waited and saved the money along the way or simply made easier for yourself later. Dont get side tracked now... the first thing you need to nail down is some idea of what you want to do with it. Just saying i want more power and stay n/a isnt good enough. Every 15-20hp can take several hundreds of dollars to achieve in part swaps etc.

A chipped ecu is cheaper than the AEM. Its a ecu modified with a chip that reflashes and allows for programming. 100-150 for most. You wont need one right away but it'll be good down the line when you have parts worth tuning. People often recommend to do everything at once so you only need to tune once but most people dont have that chunk of money to do it all at once and are too impatient to hold onto parts til theyre ready.

If all you really want is a little more power then do what was already suggested. Basic bolt ons. Intake/header/exhaust. After that you have to get into headwork and compression. But so far it doesnt sound like youre looking to do a whole lot.

Last edited:

drevans_satx

Dylan
Theres an assumption right there. We should ask what exhaust he has first to be sure.
"Just looking forward to do little things here and there to get more power. I already have a good Exhaust system. Any positive input will be appreciated thank you."

I assumed since he said he has an exhaust already, it was safe to say he has an exhaust. :p

Anyways, OP, you'd honestly be shocked at what you can do with 183 whp in an Integra that weights about 2600 lbs. I can keep up with the new Camaro (i.e. 2011) and merging onto highways is not a problem. That is with simple headwork. I don't even want to do any more to the car, because it's everything I need.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I know that but he didnt state what kind so its an assumption that its one that makes any kind of difference. If its catback only or no larger than stock piping diameter then its not worth noting as an upgrade. Riiiight?

Camaro's are fatties but the SS is not to be messed with. lol

phoboi

its really up to you its your car such as planing out your budget, hp, boost/sc or n/a, and etc. then youll know where to start

drevans_satx

Dylan
I know that but he didnt state what kind so its an assumption that its one that makes any kind of difference. If its catback only or no larger than stock piping diameter then its not worth noting as an upgrade. Riiiight?

Camaro's are fatties but the SS is not to be messed with. lol
You sir, make a good point. Let's hope he has a good catback AT LEAST.

Slowmaro drivers give me a good laugh, living in Texas I interact with them every day...surprisingly here, the SS drivers are pretty good guys, the other models though...not so much. Usually army fresh out of basic with some money to spend on pointless stuff, and they have bad attitudes.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Clearly your itr is still faster than my car. :( A base model camaro that had at least exhaust mods (who knows if anything else) still pulled away from me on the fwy. Not all that much however.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Clearly your itr is still faster than my car. :( A base model camaro that had at least exhaust mods (who knows if anything else) still pulled away from me on the fwy. Not all that much however.
Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
^:haha:

Mos def. One of the early things im doing when funding starts is making the shit trek to whatever track is left in socal for some time slips.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
^:haha:

Mos def. One of the early things im doing when funding starts is making the s*** trek to whatever track is left in socal for some time slips.
January is winter warm ups. Come out, we'll make a weekend of it. You can chill at Dai-Lon's house Saturday night, it's cool. I wanna run heads up with you. Last run of the day, so you get some seat time

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
That would be fun. As long as my funding is available by then ill consider it so we'll just have to see.

Joe we were talkin drag though. Feb will take place pending funding as is everything else. lol Lets hope. Damn im running out of time.... :shock:

XjoEnX

That would be fun. As long as my funding is available by then ill consider it so we'll just have to see.

Joe we were talkin drag though. Feb will take place pending funding as is everything else. lol Lets hope. Damn im running out of time.... :shock:
Ohhhhh. Lol that's what I get for butting in mid-conversation.