full vs half radiator

prahaian

I am trying to find out if a half radiator will cool enough in 100+ weather on the track or do I have to go with a full size radiator?

If I can go with a half radiator who makes a efficient radiator fan combo for a 97 teg? and are there any requirements as far as CFM?

I have approximately a 25x17x5.5 including the fan I can modify the heater core if needed and I can angle the radiator

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The OP means track as in circuit track, not drag strip. Half width radiator will not be adequate for you unless you have it custom made extremely thick like 4". You're going to want to try and fit a full width radiator but the wastegate on your turbo manifold will be the limiting factor. You may have to go with a custom radiator or use a different manifold with a sideways facing wastegate neck.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Mishi sells a 3 row radiator. Their time attack evo runs an X line half size. I would go with a dual core, radiator half size, block off the gaping hole that you will leave with the eg non ac block off plate. Use water wetter, with ONLY water. So drain coolant from your block etc. run a racing thermostat like mishimoto. and a fan switch like mishimoto's. Also run a water temp gauge and keep an eye on it on the straights. Your oil temp will probably need to be monitored as well as that gets up to 270F for me on a 90F ambient day.

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
Can anyone post a link to a site with good dual or triple core hlf size radiators? (other options besides mishi)

prahaian

I talked to go autowork and ordered a half radiator with 3 core they say they run those in their circuit racing cars so that should be good enough for me. Also Im running a 1550 cfm fan with it and a shroud

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I talked to go autowork and ordered a half radiator with 3 core they say they run those in their circuit racing cars so that should be good enough for me. Also Im running a 1550 cfm fan with it and a shroud

only
if you get the civic non ac block off plate.

jbrown97ls

Right, shrouds only work if there isn't a 24" gapping hole next to them lol
You're referring to this correct?

OP, Air flow goes to the path of least resistance, so to maximize the airflow to the radiator this is necessary, otherwise you "wasted" your money.

I've been thinking about how I should make the block off plate for my db whenever I get around to putting my half sized radiator with fan and shroud on. I'm sure some plain 2024 aluminum sheet metal will suffice.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
More or less.

This would be an ultimate example of a shroud for intercooler, oil cooler and radiator fabricated by a friend of mine.