How To: Change B18 Head Gasket

jhun87

94 Ls
I would love to do this myself but I dont have the experience even though there's step by step guide right here. I mean, you must need some kind of experience at least... plus i don't have the tools... :cry:
If take my car to a shop, how much would it cost me as oppose to doing it myself?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
I mean, you must need some kind of experience at least
that makes no sense... how are you going to learn to do anything if your going to assume you have to know how to do it to do it...?

a shop will charge around $300 to change a head gasket

Prozon

Kris
jhun87, you can do it yourself. I'll personally walk you through any parts your stuck on.

Tam, I would say it's $300 to buy all the stuff you need. (Renting or buying the tools too.)
I've seen shops charge $1000 for this car.

jznsn2u, thanks. :)

willkis

Haste makes waste

I find myself in the midst of what could tern into a disaster. I am the proud owner of a 1990 Integra LS. I am not very proficient with cars, yet. But I decided to try to tackle the head gasket replacement procedure. Unfortuneately, not knowing any better, I got started without positioning the first cylinder at TDC and I have already removed the camshafts. Then I took off the rockers, not paying attention to which went where. I am sure I will run into other issues later, but how much trouble am I in with these two mess ups. How will I remedy them when I get back to putting things back together? Also, I have taken the bolts out of the exhaust manifold, but it does not want to budge away from the head. I see in the pictures that the exhaust manifold stays in front of the head during the whole procedure. . Should I assume that I don't need to remove it? Finally, I can not seem to get at the lower bolt on the exhaust shield that covers the manifold. Any suggestions?

Prozon

Kris
The camshafts is no big deal. You will line them up with the timing marks later. The crankshaft gear has a mark and the oil pump housing has a mark to line up. Then the cam's just go in with the UP marks facing up, and the lines pointing to the other gears.

The rockers are not all that big of a deal either, but I suggest you do a valve lash adjustment. (You can find a "How To" on the list in my signature.)

There is a bracket that holds teh exhaust manifold to the head, did you undo that? It should pull away some.

willkis

Ahhh.....the frustration. So, thanks to Prozon\, I have successfully changed my head gasket and the motor is running great. No more oil leaks etc. I was wnjoying driving it once again when I noticed that my dashboard lights had gone out but the motor was still running. Finally it gave out also, just llke what happened when my alternator gave out three years ago at which time it was replaced with a used alternator. I charged the battery up and started the car successfully, Then I check the voltage across the battery leads and there is no chage in voltage when I have the car running vs when it is off. (12.4 both times) So my alternator is not charging the battery if I am correct. Now what are the chances that the alternator is going to go bad at the exact time that I change the head gasket. I wonder if I may have knocked something loose when I was taking off the intake manifold bolts. I can't see a wire that is loose, but I have not gotten under the car again to get a better look. Does this ring a bell witth anybody? I was really hoping to get a little driving time before having to change out an alternator again.

Prozon

Kris
You probably have the green plug unplugged from the alternator. It's easy to miss, there should be one wire that is secured on by a nut and another green plug that just pushes into it. I will assume thats your problem.

Dave12678

How much trouble could I be in if I do not know the order of the of the cam rocker arms and bearing bolts? I am finally getting this fixed and do not wanna mess it up to badly.

Prozon

Kris
Hey guys- please check the newest version of this article.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=69825

It has all the information and pictures, it simply has more details with more pictures!

Dave- mixing up the bearing caps is bad, they are numbered and shouldn't be an issue mixing up but the bolts that hold them in isn't a problem. You need to do a valve lash adjustment if you mix up any of the rocker arms.