how to remove wax off paint?

j13

Keep It Clean
naa its ok to do that but it wud be nice to take it off every 6-8 months they say a year but i dont think its true... i do car detailing so ive been thru that crap.. but mcguire's gold class wax is somthing to consider when waxing your car its about 20 bucks a bottle (i no freekin insane) but yes take a good brand of grease cutting soap and give ur car a nice scrubb down you can tell the wax is all gone when the car doenst bead water like crazy
Pretty good tip on knowing when the wax is gone by the way it doesn't bead off...if there's no wax it wouldn't bead off so much more like the water will spread around even on the paint...

ill try dish soap on my lower front bumper to try it out. When I have no wax I want to polish it than wax should look nice :)

hollowfox

its safe bro i promiss NEVER WASH THE CAR WITHOUT GETTING OUT ALMOST ALL LOOSE DIRT! also always keep the car wet when washing it... u dont want water spots on ur windows n junk n yea i messed up on that hole beading thing lol ma b

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
How's it going everyone. I've washed and waxed my car only but I'm really wanting to get rid of all the old wax that the other owners put on. I have dabreez under the car wax I put on. My front bumber and hood has little bumps under the wax but ontop of the paint. How do I remove wax without damaging the paint?

Thanks for any input
if you use dish washing soap like someone suggested (because i know someone reading this will), you have to make sure you get it all off and condition the paint right after. it was made for dishes, not cars. i personally don't use it, because it seems too harsh on the paint. as for the laundry detergent...way too harsh for our cars. you're going to ruin your car's finish. what's the point of spending tons of time on your car is you're not willing to spend a little extra to protect it? car care products are really not that expensive for good quality. if you're really strapped on cash, buy it one at a time. i would not settle for less. would you use shampoo to brush your teeth?

if you want to remove all the build-up, i suggest a good wash, claybar, and paint cleansing lotion, followed by whichever products you choose to protect the paint. i <3 P21S products. they work well.

j13

Keep It Clean
if you use dish washing soap like someone suggested (because i know someone reading this will), you have to make sure you get it all off and condition the paint right after. it was made for dishes, not cars. i personally don't use it, because it seems too harsh on the paint. as for the laundry detergent...way too harsh for our cars. you're going to ruin your car's finish. what's the point of spending tons of time on your car is you're not willing to spend a little extra to protect it? car care products are really not that expensive for good quality. if you're really strapped on cash, buy it one at a time. i would not settle for less. would you use shampoo to brush your teeth?
My first post was how to remove wax...now I'm trying to find out inexpensive techniques and still get good quality.

Thanks for your input and yes I would use shampoo for toothpaste :beer: ;]

j13

Keep It Clean
I already have a car Shampoo, Polish, Wax

I just need to remove all this yellow wax..

hollowfox

lmao it wyd get the job done hes gunna wax it anyways

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
lmao it wyd get the job done hes gunna wax it anyways
two extra letters would have gotten you a real word...

Carwash vs. Dishwash

There are seven reasons why washing cars with dishwashing detergent is dangerous to a car’s finish.

Problem #1: Water softeners

Dishwash: Companies producing dishwashing detergents assume dishes will be hand dried, therefore, dish detergents do not contain water softeners to prevent spotting.

Using dish detergent on an automobile actually increases the likelihood of water spots.

Carwash: Many carwash products contain chemicals to soften the wash water, which helps prevent water spotting upon rinsing.

Problem #2: Grease cutters

Dishwash: Dishwash detergents are generally made with surfactants that are very good at grease cutting and removal. These surfactants are likely to strip the silicones and waxes on a vehicle.

Surfactants also strip protection on any bare metal parts of the vehicle, such as the engine compartment or areas inside the doors. This will promote rusting when wash solutions find their way into these spots. In addition, any chipped spots on the paint would be susceptible to corrosion.

The end result is a dull, unprotected finish, and the possibility of corrosion in undetected places.

Carwash: Carwash detergents are made with surfactants that are gentler to the car’s surface and will not strip the car of protectants needed to maintain a glossy and safe exterior.

Problem #3: Emollients

Dishwash: Dishwashing detergents often contain cosmetic chemicals (emollients) for your hands. They keep your hands soft and prevent the cracking and drying that may occur from being immersed in water for too long.

These cosmetic ingredients may make the vehicle difficult to dry or leave it with a poor gloss finish and smeary appearance.

Carwash: Carwash detergents do not contain emollients to soften hands or provide any other cosmetic perks.

Problem #4: Surfactants

Dishwash: The surfactants in dishwash detergent may produce foam that is thicker, denser, and won’t rinse as well as traditional carwash soaps.

Because dish detergent may not completely wash away, the vehicle would sustain either bad water spotting or a smeared finish.

Carwash: Surfactants are added to give a thicker, stronger appearance to the product, since thin soap is often misconstrued as weak. However, the surfactants used in carwash products are not the same as surfactants added to dish detergent.

Problem #5: Dirt removal

Dishwash: For the most part, surfactants used in dishwash detergents are not the same as those used in a carwash. The surfactants utilized to remove food from plates are generally not the best surfactants to remove dirt from your car.

These surfactants end up leaving dirt and/or film behind, causing the home washer to work harder or wash the vehicle multiple times. Carwash: There are surfactants added to remove dirt.

Problem #6: Additives

Dishwash: Dishwash detergents do not have special additives.

Carwash: Some carwash detergents have extra benefits due to special additives not found in dishwashing detergents. For example, a small amount of high pH additive helps with dirt and road film removal and to neutralize any acid rain spots on the vehicle.

Problem # 7: Table salt

Dishwash: Sodium chloride (table salt) is commonly used to thicken dishwashing detergents.

Using dishwash detergents to wash a car would be like using salt water. The obvious results are severe water spotting and the promotion of corrosion.

Carwash: Salt is not commonly added to thicken carwash detergents.

Source: Kim Wilson, US Chemical and Plastics

j13

Keep It Clean
Sorry i didnt chime in to respond. But yes the mix of rubbing alcohol like I mentioned works just fine. Ive used it many times. Like I said its a common practice for clear-bra installs. And If its standard practice for use on Honda's to Bugatti's then id say your safe.

Heres one link

http://www.stickercity.com/clear-bra-paint-protection-installation-instructions/

another

http://www.invisiblemask.com/howto_sg.html

I can get more, but its safe.

Thanks man very helpful tip...

How to a apply it? Is it a spray on wipe off?

Or spray on leave for a couple sec's then wipe off?

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
Thanks ma very helpful tip...

How to a apply it? Is it a spray on wipe off?

Or spray on leave for a couple sec's then wipe off?
I just sprayed on and wiped off (to clean). But it wouldnt hurt to leave it on a few seconds. Because when applying the film you actually use the alc as a lubricant for positioning the film. So it can stay on for a bit while ur doing that until its all squeegeed out.

Vidiot

If you want to strip the "old wax" off your car,use Dawn.
It removes all traces of carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc.

speedin

The Transporter
If you want to strip the "old wax" off your car,use Dawn.
It removes all traces of carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc.
Your user name describes what is wrong with this post. Read about what G3Girl posted, its good information.