How To: S2000 Push Button Start

nugget

I Love My Toyota.
ok, im in the process of doing this to my car, i have everything and i just want to make sure of a few things.

1) with the floppy disc plug into the back of the engine start button plug, do you plug it into the left or right side from the light bulb? (i've seen some write ups on either side so i want to make sure).

so the furthest on to the right of the bulb (according to the diagram), will go to the relay to #85, the one next to it from the left will go to a 12v power source and the one right next to that will be a ground correct?

2) does anyone know what color the starter and ignition wire is for a 1995 SE?

nugget

I Love My Toyota.
soooooo...... i hooked everything up like its done in the diagram. i pushed the button and a spark came out from the button and it started to smoke up. wtf did i do wrong? i took the button apart and i see that a connection on the board that burnt. am i able to solder a connection on the board is is it pooched? when i make a connection from the break on the board with a flat head screw driver, it works but it seems to smoke up and spark..... anyone have any input on this? :(

speedin

The Transporter
soooooo...... i hooked everything up like its done in the diagram. i pushed the button and a spark came out from the button and it started to smoke up. wtf did i do wrong? i took the button apart and i see that a connection on the board that burnt. am i able to solder a connection on the board is is it pooched? when i make a connection from the break on the board with a flat head screw driver, it works but it seems to smoke up and spark..... anyone have any input on this? :(
It it were me id get a new switch. And idk what you did but it sounds me like your signaling the starter through the button. Thats the point of the relay. The push button should only accept a switchable 12v and its output (other wire of the button) needs to go to the switch on your relay, (usually pin 85) then on the other side of the relay switch (usually pin 86) goes to a ground. The ignition signal wire and the starter signal wire then connect to the other 2 pins on the relay.

Here is a good pic of a relay to see what I am saying...

Hope that helps man!

Last edited:

killjoy

Very cool. I'll be relocating the cruise activation to underneath the armrest in a blank, and using the cruise button for this, and it will be swapped location with the dimmer control.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Haha paint over the button to make it look like CC still. So people wonder why the hell the car isnt starting cause they dont notice the button hha.

r0g3r16

step 6- you can still start it without the button :thumbs up.
or you can cut the wires so the key wont work use a cc button and if any one triesto steal your they wont wont think of pressing the cc button to start it haha:suprise:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
I actually came up with a way to do this with a wiring diagram that only required you to push two buttons, the acc/ign and starter button, the starter button being installed where the key would go, and the acc/ign button either utilizing the cc button, or losing the dimmer switch and just getting another relabeled cc button. and you wouldnt need a key :D and wired so that it would NOT start unless the cars security system had been disarmed... It was pretty cool haha.... if i can find it, ill post it up....

Last edited: