How To: S2000 Push Button Start

98PAITR

I did this install a little while ago and when I was doing it there weren't any write-ups that I could find that were simple or even complete. This button worked in my car all summer with no promblems so I thought I would post up a DIY.

Parts you will need:
-4 prong relay (you can get these @ any auto parts store for a few bucks)
-S2000 Start Button (P/N 35881-S2A-911 @ $52.45)
-Acura cruise block-off (P/N 77266-ST7-003ZA @ $6.60)
-Wire
-Wire connectors
-Wire harness from a computer store. It has 5 wires to use as a harness for the button and it fits over the pins perfect. (a local computer repair store I asked gave me one)

1.) Disconnect the battery and remove the lower dash panel (#7) and steering colum covers (#8/9)

2.) Use a dremel to cut the middle out of the cruise block-off button (#12). Make sure you only remove the center part with the lines in it, you don't wan to damage the clips on the back of the button that hold in to place in the dash. Also, use a dremel and shave off the fins on the plastic shaft of the S2000 PBS. Do this carefully and keep checking by sliding the PSB in the hole you made in the block-off button. When you get it right the PBS will slide right in and stay in place.

2.a.) This is an optional step I took because I had a sheet of carbon fiber. I cut a ring out of the sheet and sandwiched it between the PBS bezel and the block-off plate.

3.) Slide the computer harness over the button and cut off the bottom two wires. You only use the top three pins on the PBS (see wiring diagram). Now you're going to want to insert the button into the dash. You can do it on either side, but if your car has cruise control you are going to have to relocate that or the dimmer button elsewhere.

Wiring Diag.

4.) Wire the top wire on the PSB to #85 on the relay, then wire #86 on the relay to a ground (i left enough wire so that I could place the relay next to my fuse box). The second wire down on the PBS needs to be wired to a 12v source (there are emptly slots in the under dash fuse box that work perfect for this. Use one were the power will come on with accessory key possition). Finally, the third wire down needs to be grounded.

5.) You're going to want to find the group of wires running to the ignition switch that are for the starter and ignition. Here's a link for the wire colors http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=217, or you can look at the color of the wire comming off of your starter in the engine bay and the ignition wire will be wrapped with it figure 1

figure 1

6.) Run a wire from pole #87 on the relay to the starter wire and from pole #30 on the relay to the ignition wire. I spliced these wires in so that I could still start the car with the key if needed. If you cut the wires you will only be able to start the car with the PBS.

7.) Hook up the battery and test out the button. When your key is turned to the on position it should start the car when you push it. I used 3M double sided tape to secure the relay under the dash by the fuse box. Then reinstall the dash panels. Your finished product should look like this.

I hope this helps out anyone that wanted to do this. Any questions just ask.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
NICE!

I want to keep my cruise to work tho... :(

98PAITR

NICE!

I want to keep my cruise to work tho... :(
You can either relocate the cruise or dimmer elsewhere. A lot of people remove the dimmer or move the cruise button down to the coin pocket. I didn't do a write up on that because I don't have cruise so I didn't have to worry about it.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I might just relocate the cruise then... I guess I don't techincally need that button there to keep cruise. good idea.

If I can get one of those buttons, I'll probably be doing this soon.

zex

just checking but this will work on my dc4? lol im a newb

zex

yea i will probably end up just doing it like he did because that looks great... some guys use there horn button so you dont even need to buy the button

jznsn2u

niceee! question - can you still start your car with the regular twisting of the ignition key?

Last edited: