importing cars

db1love

ok well i think im about to import a car to the us if i can actully get some real info, every website i go on talks about rules and regulation for importing but all of them are different so idk what to do about it, im here to no if anyone actually knows the rules and regs on importing a car to the us, if you can give any helpful info thanks
some ?s i have

- is rhd legal in us?
- what type of fees are expected wen pick up?
- how can i insure a car they dont even build over here?
ect ect ect....

now im not bien lazy an not serching th web cuz believe me if i new all these answers i wouldnt be postin this

stevoqb916

hey ima actually call my buddy tomorrow and i can get back to you he imported a bad ass toyota spyder from japan that is just insaine and sounds like a dodge viper ill get back to you tomorrow

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
i think rhd is legal but what you should do is import it to canada because their rules are not as strict as the ones in the us and just drive it back. i have a buddy that wants to get a skyline r33 or silvia and he says going through canada is way easier. also if the car is 25 years old or older its considerd an 'antique' car and almost all import regulations dont apply to them anymore

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
RHD is legal as far as I know in every state. Import wise expect to pay taxes/shipping etc, you also need to make the car US inspection legal. Basically this means that the car would have to pass inspection just like any other US car. So if the car needs mods to do this, you'[d have to get it done. It's a car, will have serials etc so they insurance methods are the same, I'm not entirely sure you need to say anything to them other than this is my serial/plate and I'm gonna insure this car. Also as said above, certain ages get different treatment car wise. That varies from state to state, so check what a "Historical" car age is in your state and what exemptions it entails. In pa here its like 15 for classic and 20 for antique. These can get around emission inspections etc.

Afireinside

Do a search on honda tech for"grey market vehicles" And you will find a ton of reading.
It's not easy to get a whole vehicle legally into the u.s
Good luck

98IntegraRS

I know in canada, it depends on the age of the vehicle... rhd is legal and all that shit.
- how can i insure a car they dont even build over here?

what you looking at getting?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
depending on the car you have to import 4 of them for emissions and crash testing. if its an integra you may not have to just get usdm doors or something

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
You can't import a car and make it street legal in the US. You can't register it, you can't insure it. You can't drive it on public roads.

What you can do is import a car as parts, which means the engine will have to be removed from the engine bay. When it gets here, you can swap everything over to a USDM car. Obviously you wont be RHD that way, but why would you want RHD in the US? Are you delivering mail?

That is what I plan to do.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You can't import a car and make it street legal in the US. You can't register it, you can't insure it. You can't drive it on public roads.

What you can do is import a car as parts, which means the engine will have to be removed from the engine bay. When it gets here, you can swap everything over to a USDM car. Obviously you wont be RHD that way, but why would you want RHD in the US? Are you delivering mail?

not necessarily, Kaizo and Motorex imported street legal GTRs. KAIZO imported as kit cars and motorex "added cat converters and a second door bar" Theres also a few loop holes i belive in bringing them over if say you were in living in the Japan or whereever and you bought a car, you can legally bring it back and use it.Jason (mirroing) has the article on it

Cman46290

People import and bring cars from overseas all the time to the US... and drive them legally.... what are you talking about?

Its just a legal process you have to go through... which i have no clue how or what to do... but i sure know that people drive imported cars around all the time.... did you not read the post above about the guy whose buddy imported a "spyder" from Japan.. and drives it legally?

whew.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC

Huge difference between importing a car and making it 100% legal and Fed approved etc, and importing it and getting it on the road. Huge difference.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
People import and bring cars from overseas all the time to the US... and drive them legally.... what are you talking about?

Its just a legal process you have to go through... which i have no clue how or what to do... but i sure know that people drive imported cars around all the time.... did you not read the post above about the guy whose buddy imported a "spyder" from Japan.. and drives it legally?

whew.
theres pleanty of people like that if you read or look at any car magazine...you either A suck someone off at the DMV, B import 4 of them to DOT crash testing, Suck someone off at the DMV, oh do a loop hole from the customs office

bcartwright88

I got a buddy in japan. bought an evo IV. He will have it in the states in about 10 months with a cost of over 11k. I wouldnt say its worth it..

Coney

Spacely
I think they recently went on a spree of impounding Skylines... and if its illegally imported in a lot of places they just straight crush it... lotta money down the drain