Is it bad to cut springs

nugget

I Love My Toyota.
its not something you should do, i wouldn't recommend it for safety issues. you can pick up springs for dirty cheap $150 new if not, check on your local craigslist, im sure you can find some for under 100bucks.

DB7xsjado

Old Skool
to answer your question: yes, it is bad.

I happen have a set of brand new M2 performance springs (2" drop) if you're interested pm me

shim

i need money
Don't do it. it's just not safe, and why do it when you can save up a little and buy a decent used set of quality springs?

jznsn2u

if you cut your springs you're going to end up regretting it. it's not something good to do.

735e32

Im MEL.
yes do not do it, i did it before, and trust me yeah it looks nice coz it is dropped,
but the ride quality sucks ass, bounces like no other, haha

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
wait wait wait

its not my car do what you want :thumbs up be cheap see what its like but i dont want to see you post a thread about how shitty your ride is and why you killed your shocks and then what coilovers to get.

Rich-PMS

yes do not do it, i did it before, and trust me yeah it looks nice coz it is dropped,
but the ride quality sucks ass, bounces like no other, haha

How much did yu cut off, and what struts were you using?

I have extra front springs and thinking about doing an experament with cutting them and seeing how the amount cut effects ride quality.

Reason being- alot of pickup truck owners cut their front coils, and the ride doesn't change too much at all.

jznsn2u

I have extra front springs and thinking about doing an experament with cutting them and seeing how the amount cut effects ride quality.

Reason being- alot of pickup truck owners cut their front coils, and the ride doesn't change too much at all.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=49923

don't waste your time doing an experiment that might also eat your money :drool: just read that link^

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

mirrorimg

Maybe a little more information on why its bad, instead of 15 people saying "yea, its bad"? I think we determined that after the first three.

Why it is bad to cut springs:

1. The cut portion of the spring will never seat properly on the strut or in the tophat
2. You change the spring rate of the spring, and you have no idea what it becomes after you cut it. More pressure on fewer coils = less rebound, less room for the spring to compress, etc.
3. Its ghetto.