Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

But that would be better suited for a n/a build. I was planning down the road to have a low compression turbo build ;)

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
kinda dead, but i dont care.
Jason, your compression numbers are actually really good. but a compression check wont tell you if you have bad seals, really, that kinda check is good for alot of those problems but not yours.

Anyways, I know youre already tearing your shit dowm. But good luck.

mirrorimg

I made a leakdown tester after running a compression check. I heard a lot of air escaping through the oil passages while the piston was TDC which led me to the realization that my piston rings were probably bad.

I didnt just go on a whim tearing the entire thing apart, I had a litle bit of information helping me pinpoint the problem.

I will update this thread when I get my motor back, with pictures as I put her together. I probably should have taken some pictures of it coming out/teardown in my garage, but its a real mess, and I didnt plan on making this thread a "how to" take a motor out/apart or anything. Maybe next time I will ;)

Updating original post on what im doing to the motor.

heykosal

Angkorian
I'm thinking of buying a C1 just to tear down/rebuild it just to learn like you are.

:thumbs up

mirrorimg

Thanks Kosal. It would be much more fun for me if it wasn't my daily driver that I'm tryin to get back on the road. It's a big learning experience, but as long as you have room for everything and patience, I think anybody can do it.

:D

mirrorimg

Haha adel. It's going well. Block and head are at the machine shop getting worked on. Every thing has been ordered minus the timing belt. I will be doing all the reassembly, so I need to go get a giant bottle of LUBE.

mirrorimg

Well I just got off the phone with my machine shop and the news isn't great.

I have 3 bent intake valves and one bent exhaust valve. My crank has some uneven wear due to his theory of me running rich and the oil thinning out. That means I need to machine the crank and get new bearings. I will be using ACL bearings through him.

Block has been bored and decked. Still awaiting a hone. Valve guides have not yet been put into the head though I should only need the exhaust side. And lastly
my rods will need slight machining for the proper clearance for my pistons, which is something I expected.

This engine rebuild is getting expensive!

mirrorimg

Update. The shops told the that I was getting a complete new bearing set. Thrust washers, mains, rod bearings. So Robbie, I won't re use the old ones. :)

mirrorimg

I recently purchased an itr flywheel which I brought into the shop to have resurfaced. I talked to the guys there and was told that everything was just about ready, and that they were waiting on me to bring in some valves.

I've been trying to locate valves, or even a cyl head to get valves out of. Today I made a deal with some one selling a b18a1 motor and I'm buying the whole thing to get the valves out of. It's as cheap as one person wanted for just valves too :)

so I will have extra parts either to A. Save for future issues, or B. Part out on here

mirrorimg

Well I got the motor today, B18A1. Seems to be OK. While untorqueing the head bolts I chingered up 2 camshaft journals, so this head is either going to be a massive paperweight, or going to recycling yard for some $.

The intake valves look like they have been cleaned and the valve guides replaced atleast once in this motors lifetime. The intake valve guides were spotless. Going to be taking them in tomorrow to have the shop tell me which ones are good so they can be cleaned and put into my head.

The block is dirty as hell, with a TON of oil build up on the side with the dipstick. I think I will probably pull the rods and pistons out and try to sell them, and junk the rest. I dont really have a ton of space to hold onto this huge thing.

Because this thread is lame without pics, I uploaded some that I took today of the engine I bought, and my garage full of engine parts, lol.

Last edited: