Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

Thanks Josh. Its going to stay stock, because I dont want to dump money into it to get more power. I already will need to do some machine work and get some parts I dont have, so I am trying to keep the cost down.

Started disassembling the head. I need to make a tool to remove the keepers to get the valves out. They werent popping out with a hammer and socket. All the things coming off are getting bagged. I dont like the headache of not remembering what goes where >.< The head will get dropped off on Monday to get a valve job and resurfaced.

jbrown97ls

That's how it's done! Baggies and photos! Brings back memories of building mine. Will you be doing anything else to the bay?

mirrorimg

I will probably get rid of the ABS because the module doesnt work properly. The ABS light either turns on after a long drive, or turns on after restarting the car after a few minutes of it being off.

Having the engine out will be a good time to remove the unit and put in the non-abs lines, so I will start accumulating those soon.

jbrown97ls

My abs light has been on ever since I swapped my gsr in. I need to run the codes but I have a feeling it's just one of my sensors. If it needs a new u it then I'll just yank it out. I'd like to put the smaller 98+ and unit in but I don't think it'll be worth the effort.

mirrorimg

Just finished the engine in my dads toyota (94 pickup, 22RE) and cleaned up the garage to start back on this engine.

I put it on the stand and started the disassembly

Organized bolts and workspace. Most of the internals are now sitting here, and I will box them up later.

Very familiar bottom end. It surprised me when I pulled the girdle that the mains were stuck to it, but they came off with a couple blows from a mallet.

The center crank bearings have the most noticeable wear. The plan is to order OEM color coded bearings to replace these, rather than getting some standard size bearings.

Tripped over the crank while it was sitting upright and it scratched me.

Ready to go to the machine shop. Im just planning on having the walls honed because they are in very good condition and the top decked. I dont believe there is anything wrong with the crank, but I will bring it along and have it checked too.

I also decided to turn a seat into a chair for my home office (i.e. gaming chair). The base is a bunch of pieces I cut from the 240sx i bought for parts.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Got some mail in, and made some progress on the engine!

Pistons were dropped off at the machine shop to get the cylinders sized to match. 11.0:1 JE SRP pistons. Eagle rods were part of the same order, but it appears they are going to be getting here on Monday or Tuesday.

I picked up Ferrea 6000 series valves to replace the bent exhaust valves. I started assembling the head since the gasket kit also got here.

springs in

Valve cover was stripped and got a fresh coat of wrinkle black paint. I painted the spark plug channel cast aluminum, but pulled the tape off too early and got some smudges. I'll have to clean that up sometime.

mirrorimg

Intake manifold is painted and got new gaskets. I have a valve adjust tool in the mail as I didnt know the jam nuts were so deep, unlike the non-vtec heads. I should have the block back mid-week, and I will order bearings once I determine the sizes I need.

mirrorimg

Paint or polish that VTEC solenoid while your at it! Looking good!
Its definitely is an eye sore now. I'll do something about the cap, but i dont think polishing the steel will hold up long.

What kind if paint did you use for the IM? It looks good.
Thanks, I used duplicolor engine paint in the cast aluminum color. The head got it too, and once the block is done I will paint that this color also. Im a fan of this color for these aluminum parts. If the block was cast iron, I would paint it a darker color.

And on that note, I have some current headaches. The block has been at the machine shop and I got a call last week with some not-so-great news. I assumed the block was in good condition and would just need a new hone and I would be able to use 81mm pistons. Thats not the case, so now I need to send the ones I bought back and get oversized pistons. I'm currently waiting for the ebay seller to get back to me with an RMA or an address to ship the parts back to and get the new pistons. I dont like delays, but this will give me time to get some other parts.

mirrorimg

Gaining momentum now.

Finally got the piston thing sorted out. Once I got them they went immediately to the machine shop who were able to find some time and turn it around in a day! Love those guys. There are a couple things I forgot and need to go to the local dealer for, but I believe everything else is ready. I wont be changing the clutch until I get around to adding a turbocharger. Now for the pics!

Brought the crank inside the night I got it back and started measuring. Im using OEM bearings and needed to size everything up to make sure I get what I need. The crank didnt need any machining and only was polished, so the crank bearings are going to be original based on the color codes. Since I have aftermarket rods, I measured the big bore end and rod journals to determine the size I needed, which are all the same. Made ordering easier!

The block got cleaned up and a coat of paint. I started putting some bolts back in and set the head on for dramatic effect.

mirrorimg

Installed my pistons tonight. I am waiting on my bearings so the crank isn't in and hopefully those will arrive this week so I can install it and close up the bottom end.

I wasn't a fan of the band ring compressor I had, so I picked up a fixed ring compressor. Its a short tube that tapers to 81.5mm and I hadn't heard about it until I started searching for a new compressor. It worked really well.

Rings all on and ready to go

Numbered my cylinders because I always forget which is 1...

I dont really want to even start it... because they look so pretty.

mirrorimg

My header was in pretty rough shape so I set out to fix it.

And I tacked on a little panel to act as a skid plate and save the header from future bumps. As this gets beat up, I'll just cut it off and put a new one on.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been picking up parts that I didnt realize I was missing.
I needed the vacuum chamber that mounts under the intake manifold, the GSR throttle cable and support bracket. I also needed a new throttle pulley/rotor. The LS one accepts the cable from a different direction, so I got an aftermarket one and made it work. I also made brackets for my fans to attach to the radiator more securely and fixed some broken or frayed wiring.

Had to crawl underneath and remove some hoses and the intake manifold support to slip this hose clamp where it needed to be. Pain in the ass...

And this is where we sit now. I think all I need to do is put fluids in it and I'll be ready to crank. Definitely going to check everything over again before I do that, I want to make sure my crank pulley was torqued again after taking it off to slip the engine in.