Post edit blues. The advice, tips and questions column.

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
oh snap i dont know bout those contests lasting 15 days...lol i think i read that right...maybe do some speed shops 1-2 days or so would work out much better...it would increase our skills especially if the picture is already given to us.

A few things i would add in are....depending on what the actual contest will be...wallpaper...photoedit...photo chops..and whatever we can come up with... just my two cents..:)

-if you use a background make sure you shot it yourself---no internet stealing lol
-the picture must consist of 3 aftermarket add ons---wheels--lowered--paint job---graphics---wing--etc...
-background must be of original thought

and subject to picture size must be 3200 px for full complete high resolution for judge to see full detail and whether or not image is sharp or distorted when viewed at 100%

XjoEnX

Create a motion shot in 8 steps (technically more but it isn't that difficult if you have Photoshop experience, see my descriptions below). It'll sound very complex for anyone not familiar with Photoshop but if you see me do it you'll think it's a piece of cake.

From left to right, top to bottom:

Pic 1: Original (Layer 1)

Pic 2: Make a duplicate of Layer 1 onto a transparent background and erase the cars on this new layer (Layer 2) Hide the original layer to make it easier to know where to stop erasing.

Pic 3: This is the hardest step and you will literally probably have to watch me do it to make sense of it. Make several duplicates of Layer 2. We'll call all these "Layer 2 copy X" where X represents more than one duplicate. Create a blur with the motion blur tool on each Layer 2 copy x at different angles according to the plane of the final photo. This takes a while with blending and layer masks. After you're happy with the results, select all the "Layer 2 copy X" along with the original Layer 2 and merge/flatten them together. Photoshop will automatically rename this layer "Layer 2 copy X" where X represents the final number of duplicates you made.

Pic 4: Un-hide Layer 1 and make a duplicate copy of it under Layer 2 copy X.

Pic 5: I brightened up Layer 2 copy X in this one. Add a layer mask to it also. Using the the paint brush tool with the paint color set to black I started coloring the blurs that covered the cars.

Pic 6: Set the paint brush to white this time. Using the pen tool and pen anchor tool, select the areas around the car where the blur was removed and set the feathering to 0.5px. Color it in with the paint brush to cover all the blemishes from the prior step. You can see in Pic 5 that the blur was removed outside the lines of the car, this step will restore those blurs to line up with the shape of the car with the help of the pen tool.

Pic 7: I tried to tint the window to hide the fact that Dillon is not sitting in his car. lol

Pic 8: The final result. Straightened out the image. Added a lens flare for dramatics, darkened the bottom of the photo, and wrote my name on it.

The final result. Left my name off this one though. (granted it would probably look way better if we weren't parked next to a sidewalk)

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Ah nice! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Will save some google time.

Good idea. Although I don't know how well I'll take losing to Peara all the time. :)
We can vote ban him. lol I was only thinking of photo only edits/adjustments to see how each person differs in getting the result they want. 15 days doesnt seem short but i was thinking a month just cus people may not see it and/or may not have time however, 15 days doesnt necessarily have to close the option to anyone who wants to participate and post their version.

Some of what you guys are suggesting are more along the lines of photoshopping contest which is not what i had in mind but definitely can be incorporated. We all gotta (basic) edit photos but the photoshopping will have clear advantages to the experienced. lol Anyones welcome to introduce idea/contests of their own and dont need to wait for anyone to start something. For the most part my focus is on improving photography.

Last edited:

Ryan659

Went shooting tonight. Had some fun editing these and came out really surprised with a couple of the photos and edits.

Original (18mm - ISO 100, 13s - f/10)

Edit:

Adjustments:
Sharpness +7
Contrast +100
I normally don't boost up contrast as much but it just came out sick as f***.

Photo 2
Original (30mm - ISO 100, 1s - f/6.3)

Edit 1:

Adjustments:
White balance 2445
Sharpnessn+7
Shadow Protection +50
D-Lighting HS +1

Edit 2

Adjustments:
Exposure +0.4
Picture Control Custom (it's a utility program in the ViewNX2 where you can create your own input/output of several advanced options, too long to explain :lol: )
Sharpness +5
Brightness -5

XjoEnX

We can vote ban him. lol I was only thinking of photo only edits/adjustments to see how each person differs in getting the result they want. 15 days doesnt seem short but i was thinking a month just cus people may not see it and/or may not have time however, 15 days doesnt necessarily have to close the option to anyone who wants to participate and post their version.
LOL I was joking. I would quit editing photos of Peara quit.

Went shooting tonight. Had some fun editing these and came out really surprised with a couple of the photos and edits.
Sweet work Ryan! :thumbs up

I haven't really had time to do much :( Here's one I tried to salvage. I shot this around July I think and made the mistake of not shooting this in RAW format:

And the changes made:
1. Some cityscape of Singapore (couldn't give the photographer props for it since no name was attached). The only name shown was the uploader named Mehulat. Here's the pic:

Then I put a Gaussian blur on it of 2px and adjusted the curve for a darker matching effect.

2. Highlight adjustments on the white paint
3. 30% light blue filter across the photo

Pretty simple basic changes for a nice wallpaper.

And the final:

tork_sd89

Baywatch
LOL I was joking. I would quit editing photos of Peara quit.

Sweet work Ryan! :thumbs up

I haven't really had time to do much :( Here's one I tried to salvage. I shot this around July I think and made the mistake of not shooting this in RAW format:

And the changes made:
1. Some cityscape of Singapore (couldn't give the photographer props for it since no name was attached). The only name shown was the uploader named Mehulat. Here's the pic:

Then I put a Gaussian blur on it of 2px and adjusted the curve for a darker matching effect.

2. Highlight adjustments on the white paint
3. 30% light blue filter across the photo

Pretty simple basic changes for a nice wallpaper.

And the final:

Love it! Gonna try one with my car and a background of downtown SD

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Didnt even occur to me that you threw the background in. Im like 'lets see how he adjusted his sliders'. hahah

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Didnt even occur to me that you threw the background in. Im like 'lets see how he adjusted his sliders'. hahah
Right, I was trying to figure out what city that was without any luck, then I remembered seeing the bmw pic before the layering lol.

whitedc4

i love everything about this thread...

yes yes yes yessssss

i need to get better so i can participate a little here and there.

why is this such an obsession i am in love....

whitedc4

here's my contribution. nothing fancy like you guys... i'm still trying to decide when i've slid the slider too much or not.
still working in lightroom since photoshop won't download and i'm a big weenie about deleting everything

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Theres definitely an improvement in that photo. I think its one of those that also benefit from vertical cropping. Sky looks good.

I've been getting a lot more into scene creation and trying to learn how to add effects ever since going to the comic expo. Heres the 2nd photo edit i did. Should be pretty obvious what is and isnt original but lets see if you can see anything else.