question, LS/VTEC for under $1K?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i have a b18b1 motor. how would i get vtech in it without spending ove $1000???
impossible unless you find a retarded cheap long block or short block and swap it in. but they usually run 1000 for a running long block and then you need a ecu

GSR-TURBO-DC

THE BIG SUPRISE IS NEAR
LOL @ VTECH

Its VTEC and an LS VTEC conversion with parts +Head+ labor is roughly around $700 to $900

BUT i personally think its pointless to do an LS-VTEC, without swapping the PR4 pistons for some JDM \
P72's.

So that it can be done.... yes....

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
900 really?
you need a head
rod bolts
golden eagle kit
labor
tune
wiring

texas has some cheap prices

GSR-TURBO-DC

THE BIG SUPRISE IS NEAR
B16A Head: $450
Tap/Gasket/Sanwhich adapter/oil line/Dowel pins $200
Labor: $200
GSR ECU: $100

I didnt include the tune assuming he wouldnt swap pistons. The compression change on the stock ECU wouldnt be dramatic enough to hurt the motor. I also didnt factor in the Rod Bolts, which the labor it self to get themswapped out would be a preety penny.

So i Stand corrected. :thumbs up

Slightly over $1000 But its a very bullet proof and reliable method.

phatintegra

Banned
$900, I can see it for a basic set up. If you do your own labor with out tune software.
B16 head = $300 (that's how much I got mine for)
ARP head studs = $135
ARP rod bolts = $48
Golden Eagle LS/V conversion kit = $235 or Blackworks LS/V conversion kit = $139
GSR ECU= roughly $100

This is without counting the machine shop.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
yeah its possible my friend did his ls/vtec swap on his 97 for roughly 1100 dollars

the trick is you have to find a good deal on craigslist or somewhere on a vtec head

mirrorimg

I always get so frustrated when I see people shoot for the MINIMUM budget. I would never just slap on things like this. You are leaving out so many maintenance items that should be taking care of when the motor is being worked on, plus the cost of what the machine work will be.

If it was ME, this is what I would do.
You dont need rod bolts if you dont plan to rev over the stock LS redline, but that completely negates most of the performance that can be gained from the VTEC head.

For the block: Machine work, parts
probably hot tank it and get the cylinder walls honed AT A MINIMUM!, decked if the surface is not level.
ARP rod bolts
New rod and main bearings, you do not reuse the old ones.
-depending on the wear, the crank may need to be machined.
ARP head studs
Rebuild (rotors and spring, DIY can be found on T-I) or Replace the oil pump (much more expensive)

Cylinder head:
Pressure tested and resurfaced at a MINIMUM
I would also replace the valve seals, and check that the valves are not bent and guides are not excessively worn

Other:
Timing belt
Water pump
Tensioner
-all can be gotten in a timing belt kit (I paid like 60 for my non-oem kit)

I always like to make sure everything is running in top order. Also, should you replace the rod bolts, you will have the whole motor out. Might as well have the flywheel resurfaced at that time (40) and replace the throw-out bearing in the clutch housing, and the flywheel bearing (Whatever its called).

Sure you can get by on the bare minimum, but this is why people never like to buy LS/V's from people who do it themselves, on the cheap.

Do it once, do it right.