Straight Pipe With Resonators

randomhobo

automagic user
Well I just got my s*** done yesterday at an exhaust shop.
2.25 wit a resonator after the cat and a magnaflow straight through muffler: Has a deep rumble to it at low rpms, not loud but I don't like noise at all so I think imma put another resonator in it

But my question now is this: how can I tune my car to get the best out of the cat back(if necessary). It might be my fuel pump or pressure regulator(gotta check), but I notice my car drives better when the tank is low (different pressure, better air-fuel ratio?) which is why I'm thinking about getting an adjustable fpr. Also have a sri
It's the weight reduction, less fuel = faster car :lol:

ju10

smh^^ seriously tho, whats the best way to tune after a intake and catback.

btw: I just found out today that morons at the exhaust shop I went to put a 2.5in exhaust on and not 2.25 like I said Not gonna lie I wasn't too impressed with the performance at low rpms. Only when I'm on the highway I noticed theres good power in highr rpms

Last edited:

enoch723

To be honest your not going to actually get a gain out of a cold air intake and exhaust system because the ecu is only going to allow so much air and fuel ratio. If you want to actually see any kind of REAL improvement your going to have to open up the ecu.

Not saying you wont get improvements from an intake and exhaust system.. just not to its full potential

j13

Keep It Clean
No one can really tell you how it will sound. Everyone's preferences are different and each muffler has different tones. For example rattlecans sound clip. It's like a 'fart can' to me. I'm against glass packs cus they material used inside doesn't last long unless there's been improvements. I use two resonators only. One acts as a muffler. In fact it's welded up as one. :mrgreen:
I've been thinking of this setup for a long time, do you have a sound clip?

ju10

^ I should have clarified, I didn't go with a straight pipe.but I'll try to throw one up.

ju10

2.5 inch custom catback, 18" resonator, magnaflow muffler. auto, b18b1. ghetto ice box.

Pulls harder with the icebox than sri. Think that took care the problem with low end power.

I guess the catback did make a difference- I can especially tell when I'm going up a hill, it pulls harder for sure.
Wanted 2.25 but I can't get it changed now, I don't think there would be so much of a difference anyway. I've searched plenty on here and google and still have yet to find a dyno comparison of the 2. Don't know how much back pressure that big resonator makes..

According to the guy that did my exhaust, it wouldn't make a difference if he switched it out with a 2.25 catback with no resonator

Last edited:

enoch723

^ well right.. Mandrel bends arent going to have more back pressure. Your going to get your back pressure by pipe size and obstruction(exhaust/glasspack/resonator/hole)

ju10

Talked to a a local tuner and he had a straight pipe no resonators. He said it was reduced back pressure. And it was loud as heck.