Tree's...Roadster?

treeafodo

Austin
I went to Detroit today to pick my parts up and also sold my ITR 5 lug when I was there. I almost got mugged. It was terrifying. I have to be up super early tomorrow morning for work, so I'm only posting a teaser right now. I haven't even opened any of the parts yet. I'll post pictures as I get them as well as the story of the almost mugging.
Parts Teaser by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
Getting packages is the best!

I was waiting at the package delivery place for the guy to come pick up the 5 lug set up. I was walking back to the car to put a dollar in the parking meter since they were running late. On the way to the car I was cornered by 3 homeless men all bigger than me (I'm 6'2 btw). The one grabs me by the neck of my shirt and pins me against the wall and the other 2 are moving in to come pat me down. The guys moving in are saying things like "this n***a gonna pay for my meals today." The guy holding me by the neck had me completely pinned to the wall saying "I'm not gonna give you no bull****, we gonna make this quick and take off. We need da money."

Then he took his hand off me for just a second to check my pockets and I took advantage of not being held down. I bolted to the car. Put the dollar in the meter and bolted back to the package place taking the long way around the block.

Then the eBay buyer calls me saying his cousins (they were picking it up for him) were just around the block, stand outside so he can see me. As I'm standing there the 3 guys come back. My heart drops again. I moved out of my way to avoid them and they followed me across the street. Once I went inside the building again they left me alone and took off down the street.
Then the cousins showed up and they purchased the 5 lug set up and I got the heck out of there!

I'm so lucky he let go of me for that split second! I was contemplating about fighting my way out but there was probably a very slim chance I could have taken all 3 on my own.

Stfulton

What's your opinion on the miata so far? I was thinking of retiring my teg and picking up a miata as a DD. They seem good on gas, easy to work on, and just a good all around value. I didn't used to be a fan of the appearance, but it's grown on me a little - and I'm interested to see what all the rave's about.

treeafodo

Austin
What's your opinion on the miata so far? I was thinking of retiring my teg and picking up a miata as a DD. They seem good on gas, easy to work on, and just a good all around value. I didn't used to be a fan of the appearance, but it's grown on me a little - and I'm interested to see what all the rave's about.
Do it! I only put 100 miles on this before I tore it down, but i would, in a heartbeat, buy another for a daily.

The only downside is only having 2 seats and a trunk that is so tiny it fits 2 backpacks. If you can live without practicality I would recommend it.

Last edited:

treeafodo

Austin
Here are the pictures of my new parts. It was like an early Christmas gift to myself. I felt like a little kid opening all his gifts. :)

I also ordered a Harddog roll bar from MossMiata. Just waiting for them to take the money from me. I got a Technafit SS clutch line as a free gift from Moss :) Hopefully it'll be here before the Christmas break is done and I'm back to school.

OEM heatercore from Treasure Coast Miata. It's a little bit dirty, but nothing that Simple Green can't fix. The tubes are flawless.
OEM Heatercore by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Slick Auto mirror mounts. For those of you that don't know, with the universal mounts that are included the mirrors will not be parallel with the ground when installed on a Miata. These mounts make them parallel to the ground and use the OEM mounting position.
Slick Auto Mirror Mounts by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

My custom Revlimiter gauges that I won during his Sharksgiving sale. I decided not to open the package to reduce the risk of the gauges getting debris on them. If you look really closely you might be able to see what they're like. ;)
Revlimiter Gauges by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

And last, but certainly not least are the APR GT3 carbon fiber mirrors. These things are SUPER light. I tried to get a picture of how blue the lenses are, but I wasn't able to get them to turn out.
APR GT3 Mirrors by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
I went to remove the door panels today. Never, ever, ever buy a car from an old man who talks about Miatas being super fast and tries to fix things himself. The previous owner is such a hack! I remove the 4 screws from the door panels and undo all the clips, go to pull the door panel up and off only to find out it's still stuck. The hack of the previous owner decided to duct tape the door panels on despite the pop rivets still working. Not just a little duct tape either, a lot! This picture only shows a small portion of what there really was. The speaker covers were duct taped on as well and ALL 4 POP RIVETS WERE STILL THERE!
Hack Fix by Austin Rajki, on Flickr
Hack Fix by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

I took the door panels off to make new ones, and reuse the uppers. Literally half of the mounting tabs on the uppers are broken. I looked into buying new ones, but these things are expensive. I'm just going to figure out a way to repair the mounting tabs.
I'm ranting a little bit right here, I'll just take my time and fix his mistakes one at a time...

Door Panels Removed by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

R13

The other asshole
Those mirrors are sexy.

Hopefully they don't oxidize like most carbon fiber stuff, Should be fine if you keep them waxed though. :thumbs up